30TH REGIMENT OF FOOT- Rev War Pay Dirt!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Anyone that has ever seen my dig an early military button knows that these rare relics of our past are my favorite recoveries. As far as military buttons go, the personal nature of a button worn by a soldier or sailor involved with the American Revolution is the top of my list. I have been fortunate over the last 3 years to dig pewter buttons from the 3rd and 19th regiments of foot...curiously both arrived late in Southern campaign in 1781. Each button tells a story and helps to validate endless research and hours spent behind the coil.

Yesterday I hit the road to link up with DownNDirty on a well pounded permission-the site is remote and overgrown, however you just have the feeling while gridding through large iron patch that there could be another relic left over by the British...likely masked and waiting to be saved.

Working with the redheaded stepchild of my detecting arsenal...the XP Deus :laughing7: I left the CTX in the truck, and got to work in the thick iron. For a site that has been pounded, initial signs were promising. Managed to recover a small tombac button, musket ball, and fired round ball.

20161120_181918.jpg

For the next 3 hours I had nothing but iron to show for it. Made my way back to Glenn who at this point was 3 hours into sifting. He had scored a bit of pottery, but nothing non-ferrous...yet (see his post). As I worked closer I heard the familiar sound of pewter under the DEUS coil. As I had dug only 3 plugs in 3 hours I was pretty excited. Quickly got down in the dirt, flipped the plug and this is what I saw.

20161119_091126.jpg

Heart now thoroughly pounding in my chest, I removed my glove and reached in...

20161119_092118.jpg

30th Regiment of Foot cuff button...an incredibly rare button to be found in North America and with its iron loop shank intact.

20161120_181454.jpg 20161120_181506.jpg 20161120_181331.jpg

The crazy part is that all 3 British regimental buttons I've recovered (3rd, 19th, and 30th) all landed in Charleston in 1781 and departed by 1782. Buttons of the 30th are rarer still given the fact that their short term service in South Carolina's hot climate favored linen clothing with self covered cloth buttons rather than issued woolen uniforms with regimental buttons. Don also mentions that much of the 30th's regimental clothing was destroyed in the baggage lost in July 1781.

Needless to say I am absolutely thrilled with the condition and history this small pewter button represents.

Among the other surface finds was this marked pipe bowl- T D stamped I think-

20161120_181803.jpg

Also managed to get a sifting adventure with Stef45 in...who bailed on this weekend's hunt to get married. With a bit of helpful advice from Brad (OutdoorAdv) and Glenn we set off to open up a large pit section of a colonial permission. While non-ferrous targets were not as plentiful this round, we did score a ton of iron and pottery. I was able to reconstruct a few pieces-

20161111_214030.jpg 20161111_215823.jpg 20161111_220049.jpg 20161111_221404.jpg

20161120_183503.jpg

Also managed to sift a bit of furniture hardware and a small buckle.

20161120_182014.jpg 20161120_182035.jpg 20161120_182047.jpg

On the coast I did score an early unmarked pewter with curious offset shank.

20161120_181656.jpg 20161120_181711.jpg 20161120_181722.jpg

All in all another incredible weekend that I will certainly remember for years to come. Big thank you to Glenn (DownNDirty) for letting me tag along. Have a great Thanksgiving and as always thank you for looking!

20161120_183642.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 41
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a spectacular example you just dug! The intact iron shank is amazing, and like IP said, it's a wonder that the contact between pewter and iron for 235 years didn't spell catastrophe for that button.

Thanks Steve, the button is pretty solid but I am going to heed IPs advice and go with a more permanent sealant... I suspect painted clear lacquer

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy smokes! What a gorgeous button and an enjoyable post. We're fascinated by your knowledge about the revolutionary war buttons. Wish we knew more about our own 1775 Grand Army button (than just it'S ID)! Thanks for sharing. -Lisa & John

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll have to send you some pics of mine or bring it with me next time we get together. That way you can see if you like the design and what you could do to better suit your needs.

Great find bud!!

For sure John, definitely need to link up after the holidays

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy smokes! What a gorgeous button and an enjoyable post. We're fascinated by your knowledge about the revolutionary war buttons. Wish we knew more about our own 1775 Grand Army button (than just it'S ID)! Thanks for sharing. -Lisa & John

Pick up a copy of Don Troiani's Insignia of Independence, fantastic reference material

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Early Xmas gift right there! Congrats on the great looking button a find that would make any hunter smile.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an outstanding find! Congrats buddy!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! That's a killer button! Congratulations! Still waiting on my first Rev War pewter (they've been found by others, at my site lol)

lowcountry

Jan 30, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding finds again as usual!!!! I feel the need for more British memorabilia of my own.....:) Thursday I am going to venture into the realm of full tones......

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding finds again as usual!!!! I feel the need for more British memorabilia of my own.....:) Thursday I am going to venture into the realm of full tones......

Was just sitting at my desk reprogramming the DEUS to cherry pick pewters out of heavy iron...in full tones lol. Going to bump the reactivity to 4, bring the sensitivity down to 85, and try out 18Khz wide open.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow!!! That's a killer button! Congratulations! Still waiting on my first Rev War pewter (they've been found by others, at my site lol)

There still out there mangum, just need to put the coil over the target- this particular site has few targets left however we all know a site is never hunted out.

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there I am about to get lined up to walk down the aisle and i get a text from VMI with this friggin killer button! all he said is "you married yet" along with pictures for this button! Bout took off! Had to calmly put the phone back in my pocket and walk down the aisle. Now I'm in Jamaica and I'm starting to get the itch reading this post and no its not because I'm still trying to heal from poison oak. Congrats! Unbelievable button and the condition of it is nuts! Banner all day

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
th (22).jpg Great Pictures"

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an easy BANNER button!!!!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So there I am about to get lined up to walk down the aisle and i get a text from VMI with this friggin killer button! all he said is "you married yet" along with pictures for this button! Bout took off! Had to calmly put the phone back in my pocket and walk down the aisle. Now I'm in Jamaica and I'm starting to get the itch reading this post and no its not because I'm still trying to heal from poison oak. Congrats! Unbelievable button and the condition of it is nuts! Banner all day

Haha figured that text would get your attention :laughing7:

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is an easy BANNER button!!!!

As far as condition this is by far the nicest pewter I've ever dug...and I've dug some nice examples. More remarkable is the iron loop shank still intact after 235 years. While not a one if a kind like the 1785 army officer cuff, this is definitely my favorite.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post and you are saving history. Pewter will not stand the ages for long. That off set button was strange and it sounds like you guys had fun!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread