311 year old copper found by son, few relics by me

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I got out on January 3rd after a big meltoff of the snow occurred, which surprised both of us, the woods were bare except for some very shady areas.

We hunted for about 3 hours and the diggable readings were far and few but even though I did not get a coin, I at least got 1/3 of an ornate shoe buckle, some buttons, small piece of a pewter spoon and a what is it that I think is a adornment for a piece of leather, the metal piece has a bunch of prongs on the reverse side, so not sure what it is.
DonDanFinds1st2011hunt.jpg
But right before we quit for the day, my son yelled he might have a coin, so went over to watch him dig and sure enough a nice green disc appeared in the dirt pile. We had no idea at the time what it might be, but by the size and the readings on the detectors was narrowing it down to a Conn copper (4 previously found at this site) or I had a hunch it might be a William III. A definite date bar started to show thru the crud as the coin dried out more, so we knew for sure it was a colonial.
DanholdingCopper.jpg
A few hours later my son emailed me to say it was in fact a William III Halfpenny and this one had a clear date! A clear date on a William III is not the norm, since they tend to have been in circulation for a long time, thus wearing down and there wear pattern almost always is, the reverse wears completely smooth, but the obverse side, usually maintains details on the left side of the coin, with the hair ribbons almost always being the last detail to wear off. So finding one with a clear date was truly appreciated by him.
1700BeforeAfter.jpg

Don

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! :o Congratulations to your son Don! :notworthy:
That's a truly amazing find - 300+ years old too! :icon_thumright:

Dave

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have had the pleasure of digging one William III and it was awesome. Your son deserves a big pat on the back on this recovery. SJ is a hot Colonial dog for producing ornate shoe buckles and early coppers. Thank you for sharing a piece of Colonial history from SJ, Don.

Kirk :hello:

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Great cleaning job :o :icon_thumleft:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the find and a very good clean up job! Is that the peroxide method of cleaning? HH, Mike

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the sight of an early copper like that. One coin I really want to dig....Congrats to you both!

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
great find! Any old coin with a date still visible is a plus :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Congrats on the find and a very good clean up job! Is that the peroxide method of cleaning? HH, Mike

Mike, my son also uses peroxide on his buttons and coins like I do, so yes, a peroxide cleaning. (he is almost as good as dear ole dad on cleaning) :D

We sure would like to know what went on at this site, it is covers a nice sized area and seems to have had 3 places of occupation. But the amount of coins found here so far is making it one of our top sites for span of age of finds and amount of coins. William III, KGI Halfpenny , KGII Halfpenny,4 KGIII Halfpence, 1 KGIII Irish Halfpenny, 4 Conn Coppers, 2 Half Real, 1 One Real, 2 Liberty Caps, 1 Classic Head, 2 Bust Half Dollars, 3 Coronet type Large Cents, IH and Flying Eagle Cent. So the range of those types, 1700 to 1863.

Don

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean can they get much older? Great coin your son found. You guys get all the good stuff. Very nice. !!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds Don !

Congrats to your Son Too !

DaveM

Jan 6, 2011
Hi Don - my name is Dave and I am new to this forum. I am a metal detecting enthusiast also. I am trying to find my way around this site. I saw that you had a neat gun trigger guard that you found a year or so ago. I collect gun relics like that and wondered if that is something you are willing to sell? Thanks - I don't know if this is the right place to send you a message or not??

Dave

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Don give your son a big congrats from me and your day was pretty good too. Especially digging in January an extra bonus. :icon_thumleft:

Bubba65

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread