311 year old copper found by son, few relics by me

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I got out on January 3rd after a big meltoff of the snow occurred, which surprised both of us, the woods were bare except for some very shady areas.

We hunted for about 3 hours and the diggable readings were far and few but even though I did not get a coin, I at least got 1/3 of an ornate shoe buckle, some buttons, small piece of a pewter spoon and a what is it that I think is a adornment for a piece of leather, the metal piece has a bunch of prongs on the reverse side, so not sure what it is.
DonDanFinds1st2011hunt.jpg
But right before we quit for the day, my son yelled he might have a coin, so went over to watch him dig and sure enough a nice green disc appeared in the dirt pile. We had no idea at the time what it might be, but by the size and the readings on the detectors was narrowing it down to a Conn copper (4 previously found at this site) or I had a hunch it might be a William III. A definite date bar started to show thru the crud as the coin dried out more, so we knew for sure it was a colonial.
DanholdingCopper.jpg
A few hours later my son emailed me to say it was in fact a William III Halfpenny and this one had a clear date! A clear date on a William III is not the norm, since they tend to have been in circulation for a long time, thus wearing down and there wear pattern almost always is, the reverse wears completely smooth, but the obverse side, usually maintains details on the left side of the coin, with the hair ribbons almost always being the last detail to wear off. So finding one with a clear date was truly appreciated by him.
1700BeforeAfter.jpg

Don

Upvote 0

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes indeed it is rare to get a glimpse of a date on a William III let alone one that clear! Nice hunt for the both of you. Your leather adornment is actually the finial for a leather strap, such as a reins.

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me that is a banner find. Rare to find an identifiable copper coin of that age but to find one with the date still showing and no negative effect from being in the ground...banner! The condition of that coin has nothing to do with being in the ground, that's all circulation!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds as always guys! :icon_thumleft:
Congrats,
MM :thumbsup:

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
romeo-1 said:
To me that is a banner find. Rare to find an identifiable copper coin of that age but to find one with the date still showing and no negative effect from being in the ground...banner! The condition of that coin has nothing to do with being in the ground, that's all circulation!

I agree with Romeo. All of the coppers I find seem to be hard to read a date off of, and their all 1800's coins.
Great hunt to you and your son Don, always a pleasure to see your posts.

HB

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Some great Digs!
Congrats on that William!