bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
32 Spencers in one hole!!! Turned out to be 35!

:safety-goggles:After finding a few meager things in the morning, my afternoon ended fantastic. After lunch, I hit a section of woods that I hadn't been in before on the huge property I'm hunting. A running civil war battle was fought nearby, but the finds in the woods I am hunting have been few and far between. I walked right up to a spot where I got the tell tale signal of what sounded like a horse shoe. Sure enough, one popped out and I wondered if this was a cavalry horse shoe since I knew there was cavalry posted at a spot about a quarter mile from here. Immediately after I dug the shoe, I got multiple jumpy signals right beside where the shoe had been. I started digging one of the signals and out came a Spencer cartridge intact. YESss! I had never found one completely intact before. I placed my probe in the hole and got another signal. Cool, maybe more than one in this hole. Out came another one broken apart. Probe back in, another signal, another Spencer. More signals. Holy smokes, what have I stumbled upon? More signals, more Spencers came pouring out. I kept widening the hole until it was over three and half feet long. All told, 32 Spencers came out of one large hole and I managed to extract seven of them intact. I couldn't believe my good luck. Everytime I thought I was done, I would run the coil around the hole and get another signal and another three to four Spencers. What a great day it ended up to be and the weather was incredibly gorgeous.
Other finds include a nice condition 1891 indian, a small sword keeper type hook. Although I'm not sure that's what it is because of how small it is. Some fired lead, part of a spoon, and a what's it button or something. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• Spencerday.jpg
    Spencerday.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Spencerday........jpg
    Spencerday........jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Spencerday...jpg
    Spencerday...jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Spencerday..jpg
    Spencerday..jpg
    74 KB · Views: 78
  • Spencerday.......jpg
    Spencerday.......jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Spencerday....jpg
    Spencerday....jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Spencerday......jpg
    Spencerday......jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Spencerday.....jpg
    Spencerday.....jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy COW! Definite cartridge box or pouch spill..Way to go!

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is totally awesome! What a great find. I bet your heart was racing, I know mine would have been. HH.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely amazing, congrats!!! that poor soldier must have dropped his ammo pouch and just got the heck out of there.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of lead in one hole, Nice fine, Congrats.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honey holes are few and far between

But they sure are sweet!

Congrats!

Side question: What does everyone do with full bullets? Aren't they still dangerous?

Great finds!

HH

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well u got a lot o ammo now haha. Great finds

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Bearbqd.... Great finds for sure. That is a lot of Spencers. Your little brass hook is a carbine sling hook. Tennessee digger

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
nice find WTG!!

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Impressive! Congrats

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go to get 7 Complete Spencers!!! That was a dream dig, Congrats! Nice Indian too!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upload the videos to YouTube.com and then you can bring the link to the forum post. It automatically puts the video on your page.

OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Videos are up now

OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am super fortunate to finally find what appears to be a virgin site. This is a small area in the woods and there aren't a ton of relics there but what has come out so far have been super finds. You might have seen in my recent New York button post that I went back and found three more Spencer's by that hole, two of them being intact. So, that makes 35 out of that hole with nine total intact. I couldn't be happier.
My gut feeling is that there are at least several small areas like this on this mountain. It is within shooting distance of a running battle that took place. I have maps where different Union troops were suppose to be posted at the time, but this is the only one I have found by accident so far. I have hundreds more acres of woods to search so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I stumble onto another good load. I'm really, really hoping to pull a Maryland or Louisiana plate out of here as I know they were there. But now that I have found buttons from three other states, that would be incredible to find a plate from any one of them. I know there was a house site where I think the one cavalry position was during the battle but I haven't been able to find it yet. I think it has been completely engulfed by the elements. I wish I had gotten to this site in the winter as vegetation is starting to get thick where I am finding everything. I'll keep you posted as to what else comes out of there. It's supposed to rain this weekend so that sucks. I may just take the AT Pro and go anyway. It's time to chrisin that thing by water anyway.

Marinehunter

Jan 31, 2012
New York/Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Pro-pointer, Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talking about "Get the lead out!" Really great job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread