3rd time is a charm.

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my 600 out for the 3rd time yesterday and was starting to get very dissappointed, I was at a very old farm house, every target was deep, and hole after hole more junk. I could not believe how much crap there was in this property.About ready to give up I got a 19 20 21. I thought why not and low and behold it was a 1904 Indian head penny. My first ever,needles to say my mood improved.I found tokens unable to read a beat up ww 2 uniform star. But can slaw little pieces of iron small nails all 8 to 11 inches deep.but I'm learning hopefully I'll get better at understanding my machine. The lesson. Don't give up.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
its amazing how a little ole IH can change your attitude. congrats on the find. in a place like that, I tend to dig most targets for the good or the bad. love those surprises!

OP
OP
L

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for responding. I kid not it ( my coil ) beeps 3 to 4 times every swing, that's hot trashy this yard is but if you guys the experts, say dig I'll dig but only consistent targets.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm no expert, not even close! it is just that some areas to me, can warrant digging even the trashy targets. I have been surprised enough times by good targets that were either iffy or even trashy signals. A super polluted site may be worth clearing out if it possible holds some promise. this is strictly up to the hunter's decision. I have some areas that I pretty much dig it all if it is repeatable. yeah, I dig a lot of trash but I manage my share of silver etc. an old farm house is going to have a lot of trash and probably a lot of deep trash but as you also found out, IHs. so the potential for good or even better stuff is there. good luck

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the IH! :occasion14:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds to me like you should hunt in Park 1 and lower your sensitivity some.. Maybe even hunt in recovery speed 2

Unless you're a relic hunter notch out everything below 12 and from 15 -18

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for responding. I kid not it ( my coil ) beeps 3 to 4 times every swing, that's hot trashy this yard is but if you guys the experts, say dig I'll dig but only consistent targets.

If only Minelab would start selling the 6" coil. That would help ALOT in sites like that. Hang in there Larwar, the Indian Head?, I'd be thrilled with one anytime, no matter how many years one detects.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find it has great target separation with the 11" coil. Once you get 25 - 30 hours on it no matter how much trash is there more often than not a coin or diggable target will be the dominant signal.. Gold tabs will fool you more than anything. I am not very good at it but you can usually tell the difference between a nickel and tab on a solid 13 by switching to all metal but my success is about 50%.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the 6" coil. I suspect the backorders are piling up now and when released you will have to wait. I wouldn't buy one anyway unless you already have good success with the Equinox and will use it enough to make it worth the $179

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Larwar -- way to stick with it! Those sites are some of the toughest, in my experience -- the old homes that are LITTERED with non-ferrous trash. Really frustrating, but as you found, there are usually a few rewards! Congrats on your first IH!

The 6" coil is coming soon, BUT -- as Normsel said, there is a backorder/wait list for those, too -- at least with some dealers. Incredible...I have never HEARD of a "wait list" for a COIL. LOL!

Steve

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first Indian head. The older the site the more trash signals I dig, ya just never know what you might be unmasking.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had my 600 out for the 3rd time yesterday and was starting to get very dissappointed, I was at a very old farm house, every target was deep, and hole after hole more junk. I could not believe how much crap there was in this property.About ready to give up I got a 19 20 21. I thought why not and low and behold it was a 1904 Indian head penny. My first ever,needles to say my mood improved.I found tokens unable to read a beat up ww 2 uniform star. But can slaw little pieces of iron small nails all 8 to 11 inches deep.but I'm learning hopefully I'll get better at understanding my machine. The lesson. Don't give up.

I'm having similar proiblems with my 800 have been out with it twice, and both timmes have been to trashy parks. Seems every signal I get is at max depth (I'm running Park 1). I keep telling myself you have been out only twice, I'm learing the Nox tones and signals and know it's only a matter of time. Have not found any silver or old coins I'm keeping open mind and know that once I put in the time the good stuff will fall in place.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya. I’ve been out twice with the 600 and only found a dime both times. Lots of tiny trash. But I’ll stick it out alittle longer. I still like my gold bug pro better on the beach.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am on a waiting list for the six inch coil no money down .It will be my main coil . I do not care to dig twelve inches or more anyway . In park one I am now getting depths of nine inches . Keep at it use 5 tones recov 4 and sens 20 manual GB . This is working for me really well now . Good luck .

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Those kind of sites are challenging. I'd start off digging the "easy" signals, the ones that sound good, and then start stripping it down, the more junk you remove, the more goodies will surface. Try different search modes, Field1 and Field2, Park1 and Park2, and it'll be like taking a different detector there with each unique search mode and more finds will come.

Anyplace your finding IHPs and tokens is a good site :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread