dagg nabbit

Greenie
Jul 6, 2014
nw arkansas
Detector(s) used
at pro,trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello all,i found this melted silver the other day at a campground that dates to the 1940's.the town dates to the 1840's though,and has a zinc/lead mining history.i have half a coffee can of melted items I've found here.this find rang up in the 90's on my at pro at 4-5 inches.i'm fairly sure its silver,though only a test would help comfirm it.if it is silver it would end my drought big time.before this I have not found any silver coins,though I've found wheats and nickles from the 40's.these pieces stll air test in the 90's except for the one with what appears to be a nail in it.it rings up at 81-82.makes me think there was a silver mine nearby nobody knew about.thoughts?thanks for stopping by for a look.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 269
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 227
Upvote 3

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sterling silverware from a house that's burned down. Happened to my great grandparents 1890's or so, is the only reason I thought about it.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you are right and that it checks out as silver - do be aware that melted blobs of aluminum are found in campgrounds too
usually a result of beer or soda cans tossed into a campfire . If the pieces are fairly heavy for their size that would lend support
to them being silver (4.7 ounces sounds pretty hefty to me )

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Melted aluminum soda or beer cans. Found often at camp sites and on beaches. Sorry, but you won't get rich with these. Numerical ID on metal detectors doesn't really accurately ID metals, they have enough conductivity to ring up like silver although they are not silver.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do yourself a favor and get it tested before you start counting your cash. Your metal detector has NO IDEA what metal is under the coil, it is merely responding to how much signal return it gets. Composition, mass, diameter and shape all affect detector reading.

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found some blobs like that at my in-laws house. Never found out just what type of metal it was but looks identical. I just got a metal testing kit the other day, i think i'll go test it. Thanks for reminding me that I have that and good luck on your blobs. :dontknow:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you are right and that it checks out as silver - do be aware that melted blobs of aluminum are found in campgrounds too
usually a result of beer or soda cans tossed into a campfire . If the pieces are fairly heavy for their size that would lend support
to them being silver (4.7 ounces sounds pretty hefty to me )

Judging by the photo alone, I'd have to agree with Argentium. Likely what you've found is not silver. The weight (4.7 ounces) is about equivalent to 5 Morgan dollars. It looks like the metal mass you would have there in silver would be perhaps twice that, judging by the quarter you have shown for scale. I hope I'm wrong, because 4.7 ounces would be one heck of a silver score.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very well could be silver. The AT Pro numbers (90's) appear correct for silver and the nail will bring down the VDI number, but get a test kit to be sure. I hope you found SILVER!

Regards,

OP
OP
D

dagg nabbit

Greenie
Jul 6, 2014
nw arkansas
Detector(s) used
at pro,trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for youe opinions everyone.i've dug melted cans before and this is nothing like it.heavy for their size,no impurities under my jewelers loupe that I can see other than the apparent nail.these were pretty tarnished when I dug them.after a soak and brushing with a toothbrush I hit them lightly with a small wire wheel on my dremel.and I'm not in this for the cash,it wouldn't be worth that much anyway.i'm also aware of falsing and conductivity issues with said targets.i'll have it tested by a jeweler friend and let everyone know the results.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well could be silver. The AT Pro numbers (90's) appear correct for silver and the nail will bring down the VDI number, but get a test kit to be sure. I hope you found SILVER!

Regards,

Rusty bottle caps must be silver also they signal in the nineties also.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is light then it is aluminum. You can do an acid test, or take a blow torch to one of the little edges. If it is aluminum it will melt fairly quickly on the thinner pieces. Silver has a higher melting temperature and will take longer. This is a non-definitive test though.

OP
OP
D

dagg nabbit

Greenie
Jul 6, 2014
nw arkansas
Detector(s) used
at pro,trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I finally got this tested with a acid test at a pawn shop a friend owns.believe it or not he says it tests 18k GOLD.i'm not kidding either.he had this look on his face when he was testing it,and I was saying"what?".he looks at me and say its gold.i say no way.he said"in my honest opinion it's tests at 18k gold.he gave me the name of a jeweler to confirm it ,but I didn't have time to stop by at the time.i still don't quite believe it.to good to be true.i guess i'll see when I see the jeweler.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Melted aluminum soda or beer cans. Found often at camp sites and on beaches. Sorry, but you won't get rich with these. Numerical ID on metal detectors doesn't really accurately ID metals, they have enough conductivity to ring up like silver although they are not silver.

agreed

OP
OP
D

dagg nabbit

Greenie
Jul 6, 2014
nw arkansas
Detector(s) used
at pro,trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, all I can say is I hope it is gold or some precious metal..... to all you nay say'rs, screw you. We all do this as treasure hunting to find something of worth for our time spent. EVERYONE OF US. All of you haters, ever wonder why you are the way you are?

I understand completely why it has taken so long to test. It is not a top priority with work, kids, wife etc. I hope the testing is accurate. I know a lot of times natural gold is with silver or covered in mercury. Gold can be blended with silver, nickle or other metals to make white gold. I am so glad it is pointing to something more than globs of melted aluminum and feeling your excitement as EVERYONE of us do as we are out swinging and find a ring that we hope is gold or silver instead of plated junk. Keep us posted as you find out more. The haters.... go somewhere else You suck. P.S. when you get time to go to the jewelers, use your phone to record when he/she tests so that you can post it to share the excitement and discovery.
thanks for that Jason.i really thought at the most it might be silver,so it wasn't worth selling if it was anyway.i didn't get into mding to get rich,but it would be nice to find something valueble.the pawn shop is 30 miles one way,so it not like its down the road.i watched the guy test it.he was as surprised as I was.if it tests as gold at the jewelers I will get proof.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread