dagg nabbit

Greenie
Jul 6, 2014
nw arkansas
Detector(s) used
at pro,trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello all,i found this melted silver the other day at a campground that dates to the 1940's.the town dates to the 1840's though,and has a zinc/lead mining history.i have half a coffee can of melted items I've found here.this find rang up in the 90's on my at pro at 4-5 inches.i'm fairly sure its silver,though only a test would help comfirm it.if it is silver it would end my drought big time.before this I have not found any silver coins,though I've found wheats and nickles from the 40's.these pieces stll air test in the 90's except for the one with what appears to be a nail in it.it rings up at 81-82.makes me think there was a silver mine nearby nobody knew about.thoughts?thanks for stopping by for a look.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 269
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 227
Upvote 3

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No they're no haters they just don't want to see you get ur hopes up. Your title is in the form of a question. We take that as u are unsure of the answer and are looking for input. So they not nah Sayers they're just putting in they're opinion. Please do not tell anyone to screw themselves this is not way TNET is about and is not allowed! These guys have been around the block quiet sometime. I mean of it is the. That's awesome if not no biggie. I once knew a guy who did find silver coins from a cash register in a store fire from the 50s that were all melted together. We all are hoping for the best. Evidence and proof help show everyone what's going on as well just a ponter!! Goodluck!!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
You know, all I can say is I hope it is gold or some precious metal..... to all you nay say'rs, screw you. We all do this as treasure hunting to find something of worth for our time spent. EVERYONE OF US. All of you haters, ever wonder why you are the way you are?

I understand completely why it has taken so long to test. It is not a top priority with work, kids, wife etc. I hope the testing is accurate. I know a lot of times natural gold is with silver or covered in mercury. Gold can be blended with silver, nickle or other metals to make white gold. I am so glad it is pointing to something more than globs of melted aluminum and feeling your excitement as EVERYONE of us do as we are out swinging and find a ring that we hope is gold or silver instead of plated junk. Keep us posted as you find out more. The haters.... go somewhere else You suck. P.S. when you get time to go to the jewelers, use your phone to record when he/she tests so that you can post it to share the excitement and discovery.

I'd have to say that this is a pretty rude statement. Many of the comments here are of a cautionary nature, not being haters. We would all love the finder to have a stash of 4.7 ounces of 18k gold. We just want to toss out the possibility that it still may be melted aluminum, or some other metal formation. As another member mentioned, we just want to make sure the finder doesn't get his hopes too high that it's gold and it turns out not to be. We will be more than happy for him if/when it's confirmed, and he's able to sell it (I'd assume that would be sold) for a solid gold price. Until then, we all have our fingers crossed. So, please, keep inappropriate comments like this to a minimum.

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
Nope, actually there are a ton of haters on these pages who are always jealous of other peoples finds. They constantly knock down and minimize others finds. Opinions can be like butt holes in certain situations; no wants to see or smell them at times.

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
Furthermore, what is wrong with getting ones hopes up? Hope is what keeps a metal detector going? Unless of course you like pulling tabs and caps all day long.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, all I can say is I hope it is gold or some precious metal..... to all you nay say'rs, screw you. We all do this as treasure hunting to find something of worth for our time spent. EVERYONE OF US. All of you haters, ever wonder why you are the way you are?

I understand completely why it has taken so long to test. It is not a top priority with work, kids, wife etc. I hope the testing is accurate. I know a lot of times natural gold is with silver or covered in mercury. Gold can be blended with silver, nickle or other metals to make white gold. I am so glad it is pointing to something more than globs of melted aluminum and feeling your excitement as EVERYONE of us do as we are out swinging and find a ring that we hope is gold or silver instead of plated junk. Keep us posted as you find out more. The haters.... go somewhere else You suck. P.S. when you get time to go to the jewelers, use your phone to record when he/she tests so that you can post it to share the excitement and discovery.

Thanks for the smiles, I must be a hater, for the first time in my life.:happysmiley:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on a suburb find. I'm elated for you.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope, actually there are a ton of haters on these pages who are always jealous of other peoples finds. They constantly knock down and minimize others finds. Opinions can be like butt holes in certain situations; no wants to see or smell them at times.

You must be looking somewhere else. Yes occasionally somebody will say something inappropriate but I can almost guarantee it's not the usual guys it's someone who doesn't know the rules and/or doesn't post much. When the do say something they are told about it immediately. Of course people are jealous I'm jealous of the 1795 flowing hair dollar and all these gold coins and 20 cent pieces. But that keeps me and everyone else on the hunt to find our own. As for the minimization some of these guys are coin experts and when somebody asks if this is a 20k coin they say no more like 3K but great job. They are only looking to help. Of course like I said before there is a select few who don't know the rules but the guys/ladies on Tnet are great! Just wanted to clear that up...;)

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really think its melted white gold? Have you ever tested alumium with a gold kit?

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

After reading this whole thread I see no hating. Just some honest advise. I wish him luck but experience says it's aluminum.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Easy to tell if it's Silver. use the Spit and foil test. Lay the item on an aluminum sheet, spit on the item (good and wet), and wrap the foil around it, rubbing it against the wet silver.

Give it 15-20 seconds and open it up. If it stinks to high heaven, (sulfur-y or rotten eggs, or just nasty), you've got silver.

So you know EXACTLY what kind of smell you're trying for take that silver quarter and do it on it, first. Then do it on a stainless steel spoon. You'll note the spoon just smells like your spit, and the quarter will STINK.

Best test I know of to spot check for silver. I've even done it in the field with a foil gum wrapper around a bit of jewelry. Works Great!

Wash everything off when you're done, of course. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread