4 day civil war camp hunt. soldiers silver tooth(cap/crown)!!!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I recently revisited a camp I discovered in the woods early last year. There's a small window to hunt in the woods due to hunters and then too overgrown in the spring and summer. I found 50 bullets so far over four day period, which is a lot considering I thought there was maybe 10 or so at best left to find. I've also dug a lot of camp lead or melted lead, but very little brass. I did find a gs cuff button my first trip back out this year.

So last Thursday I go back and dig one hole where I'm just digging tons of melted lead out, well little did I know when I got home and cleaned my finds, that one piece was not melted lead...instead this was shiny, but not aluminum. It's heavy for its size and left a slight black residue on my fingers when I cleaned it with water and baking soda, like a tarnished silver would. I'm no professional, but I think what I have appears to be a silver cap or crown for a tooth.

I'd love to hear others thoughts and opinions. Thanks for looking and HH!

ForumRunner_20150120_212844.png

ForumRunner_20150120_212903.png

ForumRunner_20150120_212913.png

ForumRunner_20150120_212923.png

Last edited:
Upvote 13

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cap or crown has an opening on the underside to cement to a post or remaining portion of the tooth. Do you have a picture of the bottom side? I have a friend who is an oral surgeon and I can confirm it for you. Great finds!!!!

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is a crown . First of all it doesn't look like a tooth; it is not hollow ; a crown would be hollow to fit over a prepared tooth( hence the name "crown") and silver would not have been the material of choice it would be gold especially prior to 1970's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread