4 hours at the campground / lake = 3 rings and some medals

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
So yesterday was my day to go detecting after dropping the kids off at school. I made the long drive out to the old park / campground that I've been hunting these past few months, since every time I hunt this park I come home with at least a couple of really cool items. I had talked to one of the park rangers earlier in the week and he mentioned to me that the lake there had been drained down quite low revealing quite a bit of the smelly, mucky lake bottom. With this info in hand, I hit the local sporting goods store on Wednesday and bought a pair of waders with attached boots, since I knew the lake bottom was going to be very messy.

Well, I was right - the exposed lake bottom was hideous, but yielded some neat finds. The treasure did not come easy though, as it was guarded by a couple of pirates...

IMG_9306.jpg

And if that wasn't enough, I had to get past an alien as well...

IMG_9308.jpg

Once I defeated the pirates and alien, the treasure started coming. Here are the two silver rings I found in the muck...

IMG_9293.jpg

IMG_9296.jpg

It took a bit of electrolysis to clean them up, but now they look really nice...

IMG_9299.jpg

IMG_9300.jpg

Also found in the hideous muck of the lake bottom were these three swimming medals marked on the back with the initials of a local swim team and dated 1984...

IMG_9314.jpg

Additional scoops of muck produced this little first aid cross item, and a pinewood derby medal that a cubscout must have won, only to lose it in the lake...

IMG_9318.jpg

And I was really pleased to find two more of these mysterious dollar-sized gold aluminum medals. If anyone out there can identify the significance of the commemorative date 1837 and the fur-trader looking dude on the front, PLEASE let me know...

IMG_9317.jpg

Here is the coinage that was pulled from the gross and smelly muck - includes one 1952 wheatie...

IMG_9312.jpg

Well after about 2 hours of back-breaking muck scooping I was dead tired and wanted to get out of the mud pool I had created by walking around and scooping. Thank god I found this "swamp rocket" to get me out of there...

IMG_9310.jpg

With a couple of hours left to hunt, I hit the turf in the park and turned up this sweet little Navajo style sterling ring made by the same company as the larger Navajo style ring I found at this site a couple of weeks ago - Bell Trading Post Company...

IMG_9301.jpg

IMG_9302.jpg

IMG_9303.jpg

Here are the three rings together...

IMG_9304.jpg

And here is the total haul for the 4 hours, including most of the trash. The giant tokens were pulled from the lake bottom - I assume that they were tossed in for kids to dive for. Probably the same way the gold aluminum tokens wound up in the lake.

IMG_9291.jpg

Keepers for the day...

IMG_9321.jpg

If I go back to hunt the lake again, I'll take a shovel instead of my Nuttall scoop - the muck kept getting packed into the scoop and wouldn't come out.

Thanks for looking! Get out there and have a great and productive detecting experience!!!!

Jim

Upvote 0

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds. I like those rings. I know how bad it is to hunt in muck. They had drained a small lake to repair the dam and I wanted to hunt the swimming area where a raft was sitting in the mud so I waded through waist deep mud where an old creek bed was that fed the lake and got my feet together because I stepped on an old bottle and it made my foot slide over next to my other one. It was like a vaccum. I had to lay on my back to be able to pull my feet apart. Once I got across the old creek channel the muck was only knee deep. Old swimming areas are a great place to hunt. We had the hunt of our life. My buddy got some kind of parasite in his bloodstream and got pretty sick from it. It's a lot of fun and it stinks something awful.

DANGLANGLEY

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds :thumbsup: Love those pirate ducks ;D