4 questions on cleaning with distilled water, i know this is in the wrong forum.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
1. can i use distilled water to clean all metals?
2. while items are soaking can they be sealed, like in a plastic jar, or do they need air?
3. should i change the water out as it gets dirty from breaking down the minerals?
4. can i have a different variety of metals in the same container safely???
thank you for answers:)
Brandon

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
chong2mry said:
1. can i use distilled water to clean all metals?
2. while items are soaking can they be sealed, like in a plastic jar, or do they need air?
3. should i change the water out as it gets dirty from breaking down the minerals?
4. can i have a different variety of metals in the same container safely???
thank you for answers:)
Brandon

Distilled water will clean any metal as it is nature's natural cleaner. It is by far the best metal cleaner known to man. People don't use it mainly because of the time factor...it's slow. Cleaning a coin with distilled water can take weeks to years.

Years ago I was a coin cleaner of ancient coins and shipwreck artifacts (hobby). I cleaned maybe 5000 coins mostly for dealers and collectors worldwide. I think I tried about every method known. The least damaging and the process with the best final results is distilled water cleaning. Next to this would be some sort of oil soak. The problem(s) with oil soaks is they all tend to deposit elements into the "pores" of the metal. And some oils darken the coin. Water produces the best natural look.

Yes, you can and should put a lid on the water jar. I wouldn't seal the jar, but you do want to keep dirt out.

Yes, you do need to change the water regularly. I changed my ancient coin water once a week. I used water from our dehumidifiers so it was basically free.

No, don't mix metals in any type of soak. Keep copper with copper and silver with silver.

Hope this helps.

Badger

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
Re: 4 questions on cleaning with distilled water, i know this is in the wrong fo

thank you all for the quick responses
helped alot!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Badger, That is just water?? Does it take a long tiome??
You ever here of sticking a coin in a potato or a lemon?? I have tried with a little success many years ago!

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger any chance for a before and after pic ?? just want to see the resoult

USTiger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread