WD40!

• Thread starter Angela (Australia)
  • Start date
A

Angela (Australia)

Hello has anyone tried WD40 to clean old copper, bronze and silver coins? I do. I spray a little on the coin, wait for a minute for it to penetrate the grime and dirt, then gently clean the coin in my finger tips. As the dirt comes off, it can act like an abrasive, so I also use a tea towel to wipe the coin, in conjunction with cleaning it. When done, I just rinse the coin in warm water, wipe dry. WD40 does not corrode the coin or devalue it. But if in doubt, try it on a worn coin of little value and see for yourself! Also, for relics like rusted axe heads, other rusty tools, shoe horns, etc, soak the relic in a mixture of one part molasses and ten parts water. Leave it to soak for 3 weeks to a month, and the rust will have dissolved, leaving behind very clean relics!
HH Angela :)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use it.
Not WD40 but the Generic Equivalents

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the tip Angela.

I must admit I've never heard of the molasses cleaning method before. I'll have to try that sometime. But we only have molasses in January around here. People tell me I "move like molasses in January."

Thanks!

Badger

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I have tried the WD-40 thing before, but will try again, I think it worked when I did before the for the heavy corrosion on the bronze..I will also try the other thing! Thanks

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried Corrosion-X and it worked too...It is a heavy WD-40

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'll tell you....everyone on this forum are so very helpful...I can't say THANK YOU enough. I have tried several methods ya'll have mentioned throughout the forum...now I will try the WD40. I try these methods on old rusted nails, things that are basically junk and truely of no value and on CLAD pennies that are so corroded from sitting in the beach. Alot of the methods do work. And my PATIENCE has been tested, I do have PATIENCE!! I will have to try the molasses too...one thing I have not tried is Vinegar and Salt...I did find straight vinegar on Quarters (today's) they turn pink!!! So, I won't do it on Quarters anymore!! LOL I prob left in to long...DUH!!

Thanks for all the wonderful tips....and I look forward to hearing more and seeing your pics and hearing about your great finds!!!!!!!!

A NEWBIE MD'er!!!

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
dont do vinegar and salt!!!!! it stripps finishes off!!!! i found the hard way. my first civil war marine button...... i did not identify it before trying out the v&s. i cleaned the crap out of it, down to the copper, no joke.for like just 15 mins, i was swishing it around. then the next day after i ruined my button i found out what era it was from, i was soo pissed,i am still pissed..........

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 837
  • zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 805
  • zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 815
  • zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg