Ribault fleet?

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think everybody realizes what a great stroke of fortune the discovery of a verso actually is. Probably not Ribault ships (actually I think only the Triniti is in the general area of the Cape), but it could easily be any number of vessels including the Concepcion of the 1715 Fleet. I hope GME can keep up with the costs of doing business around the sandy Cape. Tough digging I'm sure.

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
1715 would be a very late date for that sort of verso. There are still wrought-iron swivels in use at that period, but I would be surprised to find one like this much beyond the early 17th century. Much more comfortable date in the 16th century.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bulletin said they have four piles. I don't know where they are, but GME has the right ground to hunt overall, so I am expecting great things... verso is too old for Concepcion, agreed. Maybe they found the "Paper Wreck". That would be a great coup!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's wishing all the best and great success to GME.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can any vessel with ordnance in the debris field be considered a "sunken military craft" ?

On who does the burden of proof rest?

Who decides what is or is not a "sunken military craft" ?

What if a salvor is granted an admiralty claim and the Navy or other government agency subsequently decides the vessel is a "sunken military craft"?

Can the Navy or other agency stonewall the issuance of a salvage claim until it (the agency) is "satisfied" that the vessel is not a "sunken military craft" ?

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to read all of that article.Most of your questions you asked the answers are there.Plus if spain owns a wreck you have to get their permission first and you know that wont happen.It took me a few hours to read it all a few times and i still dont understand it all.It would take a admiralty lawyer to decipher it.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It follows that a ship that is unidentified can not be claimed by Spain. As for currency, the Reale was recognized as legal tender in the United States up until 1845 (or there about). Furthermore, almost all ships carried guns of some sort, even as they sailed without flag. If you don't claim identification, let the government investigate for themselves and claim they can identify a wreck... are you holding your breath? Gov won't spend a dime to do something like that. They might run their mouth when convenient, but, without solid proof, they can't win a case.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is in Florida State waters... Spain holds no flame in my book.
It now belongs to the American people.

Sorry Spain... Go suck an egg.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It follows that a ship that is unidentified can not be claimed by Spain. As for currency, the Reale was recognized as legal tender in the United States up until 1845 (or there about). Furthermore, almost all ships carried guns of some sort, even as they sailed without flag. If you don't claim identification, let the government investigate for themselves and claim they can identify a wreck... are you holding your breath? Gov won't spend a dime to do something like that. They might run their mouth when convenient, but, without solid proof, they can't win a case.

As far as I am concerned, Spain is the least of our worries in regards this act. What is to stop the Navy, for instance, from claiming that unidentified ship "A" is a "sunken military craft"?

Do they have to prove that it is....or do you have to prove that it is not ?

It does not necessarily follow that the Navy would have to physically investigate the site in order to claim the presence of a "sunken military craft"...

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Unless there is a specific statute that outlines the burden of proof, this is precisely why courts exist.
Party A says one thing, Party B says Party A has it all wrong and its really some other thing.
Arbiter, Judge or Jury decides who has the most compelling and credible story.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I am concerned, Spain is the least of our worries in regards this act. What is to stop the Navy, for instance, from claiming that unidentified ship "A" is a "sunken military craft"?

It does not necessarily follow that the Navy would have to physically investigate the site in order to claim the presence of a "sunken military craft"...

I think Spain would be more of a problem than the Navy. It is probably their ship anyway.

For sure it wasn't our Navy's.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Curious, when the Space Shuttle Challenger accident occurred, the government,( or sub contractor ), did extensive sea floor searches looking for any Challenger debris. I remember reports of several locations found which contained the remains of , what was reported as 17th or 18th century, ships around the Cape Canaveral location. Have any of these reports every been released or sought with the F.O.I. Acts ? I know at the time, they didn't release this information due to they did not want the area disturbed due to possible Challenger debris.

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some information I hope is helpful.

GME personal found 4 sites that contain a total of 13 cannon, 8 anchors and other scatter, two of the sites are from different countries "we think" and could be different times, there could be three different ships, site 1,2,3 we think are different ship sites, site 4 belongs to site 3 we think, Dig and ID has not been completed, further investigation will help us understand these finds better.

The Burden of proof is on the person who says what it is, GME does not know what these sites are yet, where they are from, our whom they would have belonged too, in fact we may never know. Records from this far back are mostly gone forever due to fires, water damage, etc.

Someone would have to show paper work on these wrecks as in "name", where it went down, and what was on them. They would then have to match that to the wreck site.. "good luck" with that one. As much as we want to know, it’s not likely.

As far as being a military ship, again Burden of Proof is on the nation trying to claim it as theirs. If it was built as a Navy Ship or officially taken into the Navy, again with proper documentation then they could try to claim it, if not then there is no basis.

Even if it carried military supplies or personal it doesn’t make it a military ship, American air, Delta air, JetBlue etc. carry military personal all the time and that doesn’t make them military "I think not"

if it is military then the rules say what they say, and the rules must be followed, but someone has to prove it first. Just because it’s from Spain doesn’t mean it belongs to Spain unless it belonged to the military, it just doesn't work that way.

I am no attorney but this is what I understand from what I have been told by the people that do understand.

I hope this helps

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the report on NASA's site years ago.Dont know if its still there or not.You would have to spend many hours looking for it.I saw where they sent a ROV down to see a beer can.A shell and a ballast stone.The areas searched were 20-40 miles offshore.maybe further out.I cant remember it has been so long ago nor do i have any interest in that area since there is so much rocket debris all over.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The report(s) may or may not be available online at this time. There were two... one public and the other local to the operations group doing the survey. I wrote about this in West Of The Bull, including the Paper Wreck Report. GME is in the right place at the right time, I think.

Black Duck

Dec 29, 2008
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse only
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Signumops you are right GME is in the right place and we have done our home work,
thanks for the input

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread