? 4 Terry Armstrong and others .

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Sadds, I don't want to give anyone a hard time about anything. Life is too short. This whole post was started to ask an expert about writing a book and how to go about it. It had nothing to do with funding, or salvage. I got my dander up when someone started posting about scams.

One thing I hate about treasure hunting are the scams. Such as the one about the alleged emerald claim that is going to court in Key West on January 13th. Now according to court filings, we find out that the emeralds were "bought" and not found on the bottom.

Treasure scams, hurt every treasure hunter and I guess my blood pressure went up a little when scams were posted about the site that I saw. No one wanted anything other then to find out if it was worth writing a book about. Then there is the choice of making the book Fiction or Non Fiction.

Good Luck to all and have a Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Write a book about the site after you get all the treasure from it.That is if everyone involved lives to tell the story.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sadds, I don't want to give anyone a hard time about anything. Life is too short. This whole post was started to ask an expert about writing a book and how to go about it. It had nothing to do with funding, or salvage. I got my dander up when someone started posting about scams. One thing I hate about treasure hunting are the scams. Such as the one about the alleged emerald claim that is going to court in Key West on January 13th. Now according to court filings, we find out that the emeralds were "bought" and not found on the bottom. Treasure scams, hurt every treasure hunter and I guess my blood pressure went up a little when scams were posted about the site that I saw. No one wanted anything other then to find out if it was worth writing a book about. Good Luck to all and have a Merry Christmas.

Old man, you ( based only on your name on Tn) should keep your pressure down . I see so many squabbles on this site that I always try not to get anyone's dander up but post in as humorous a way as I can.

I also have to find and not touch here in the Bahamas which I follow to the letter. Scams are only possible if greedy people let nefarious individuals take them down certain roads.

I remember a saying a wealthy guy told me a couple of years before taking advantage of my good nature by helping him out with me taking a pay cut, I never got back. He said " if you are sitting around a table with a bunch of people and you can't readily identify the idiot, it's you"

On that humorous note, have a great Christmas and New Year........

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Write a book about the site after you get all the treasure from it.That is if everyone involved lives to tell the story.
Fisheye, Good idea. I do have an Admiralty Claim on a unknown sailing vessel, possibly a Pirate Ship, in US waters. After we salvage it I'll do a Documentary.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Old Man:
I just read this thread this morning. Yesterday I was at Matanzas gathering info for another treasure book of sorts, this one about the Huguenots and the the Spaniards. Not a rehash of the academic reports, but a modern coin-shooter investigatory treatment of what has been found and where it was found. Also a complete translation of an ancient Dutch manuscript that Buddy Martin owns dealing with these issues. Any way...

Everybody is a treasure hunter to some degree. Behold lottery ticket sales. I rest my case.

As for books on the subject: there are LOTS of books on the subject, and the market is not as fruitful as you might think. I can think of a few that have sold many copies in several editions; "Pieces of Eight", "Shipwreck", "Diving To A Flash Of Gold" come to mind. All of these were post script, or after-the-fact, even though they centered upon treasure that continues to lure on the hunt. As a matter of fact, in all three cases, what occurred after the books were published tended to be as interesting as what occurred in the story lines of the actual books themselves. This would be the after effect of the publications themselves. The books did, in fact, incite a great deal of activity, much of it cut-throat.

Then there are the types of books that are references, such as those produced by Bob Marx, like "Shipwrecks In The Western Hemisphere", or Potter's "The Treasure Diver's Guide". They sell lots of copies, because they provide the reader with a foundation for hope itself. There is treasure out there to be found! Found money: the best kind of money!

Some of my favorite books in the genre are those which are of limited distribution, such as those I produce, that tell of successful hunts. "Seaweed And Gold" by Alex Storm comes to mind as does "The Last Voyage Of The San Miguel de Archangel" by Bob Baer, or, "Atocha Treasure Adventures: Sweat Of The Sun Tears of The Moon" by Syd Jones. There actually are many others. These that I just mentioned are accounts of treasure found... after the fact.

Periodicals that deal with treasure legends, or treasures yet to be recovered are generally the place where you might easily sell a story like the one you suggested originally. A "book" requires far more work than a magazine article.

Last edited:

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
I just had my first ever submitted manuscript published, http://www.myfunkytravel.com/journal-surprise-on-little-corn.html, not much but I am proud of it and have had lots of compliments. I am also working on a book from my cancer mess and my trip to Peru. Only up to 5000 words but enjoying putting it together.

I am planning on heading down to Honduras next month for an extended stay, not sure where yet, maybe Roatan or Utila. If it's anywhere in Central America I would love to tag along with any crew.

just saying

diverlynn

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, maybe you could give me some guidance on publishing at a later date?

DL

Lynn:
Getting into print is not the obstacle anymore... distribution and marketing can be a challenge. Treasure books are a very narrow market overall, but, I can hook you up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread