madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
It means that it is a "salted" box. You will find 15 40% halves.
I've got my fingers crossed for a 9099 box code.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
For me 4015 means either one 40% or a skunk or sometimes a clad proof. I've done between 20 and 30 of those boxes.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I should have said I searched it already - a skunk. I've ordered another box from the same bank (different branch, not sure if that will matter). I'll see if the next box has the same code - seems like there's a good chance it will. I'll post results.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 4 digit code is just the # for the sorting center? These are Garda string boxes right?

It doesn't really mean anything. You might get 50 skunks and then a dream box. The only thing that matters is volume, volume, volume, and luck.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, they are String boxes. Don't know who the carrier is.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most likely Garda, that is their M.O.

I've had amazing runs and horrid runs from my 4 digit code on Garda boxes. Don't sweat it, volume is King.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hadn't seen a 4015 box for a while and then picked up one this morning. No enders and about 1/5 the way through the box it's a skunk. No silver, NIFCs or proofs. A lot of rolls to go, but my boxes have sucked lately and even the "good" ones gave up minimal silver.

Might try a new box source. My existing sources have lately been producing boxes of coins that must have been searched and dumped, over and over. I know folks have had skunk streaks far, far longer than mine, but I wonder if there is any strategy or tips that can improve the odds of getting good boxes.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a 3980 box last night. S&S --- 2-40%, a 1986S Proof and almost a roll of NIFC's, mostly 2004.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for info LC. Never seen that code. It would be interesting to know whether it just refers to a sorting center or whether it's some indication of the box's age. I fear that the boxes I'm getting are "first in, first out" coins, so I'm searching the dumps and not getting into whatever old boxes may be in storage.

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5978 has been a mix for me, but my conclusion is that the box number doesn't mean much at all, it is simply just the number of a batch of coins from a given sorting facility which may or may not contain goodies within. I had a 5978 half box that gave me 3 90%ers (2 in the same roll), and several 40%ers as well, others with nothing at all, and some with just single 90%ers or 40%ers. Perhaps in the sorting facility, the number corresponds to dozens of batches of coins bought from places like coin sorters from big banks, credit unions, and even the fed.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only real link between boxes of the same number would be if a collection was dumped during the processing of that particular batch. In that case, the collection would presumably be in boxes of the same number. Other than that, I cannot think of a reason the number would be of significance.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input. I agree that the code probably doesn't matter, and it's not like I'm going to pick up a box and not search it.

Codes aside, I would appreciate hearing whether folks put any thought into where they order their boxes or do they just order them from any banks that will provide them. I've heard people prefer some courier companies over others, but I'm not sure why that matters unless you subscribe to the courier-silver-culling conspiracy theory.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 4015 box turned out not to be a skunk. Coughed up 4 40's and 1 90. Not awesome, but I'll take it. Just picked up another box this morning with the same code, so whatever this code means there are a lot of boxes stamped 4015 out there still.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better than a skunk Curly. I'd just like to see some boxes and MWRs other than the same flat String boxes and rolls. Like I said before, I think they are all coming from the same place, even if the ordering banks are different.

kookoox10

Greenie
Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know silver is the big thing in these, but has anyone ever thought about looking for some varieties in the half boxes? There's a number of various doubled die obverse and reverse dates to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread