Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'43 Mercury Dime with a "2" Mint Mark

I had previously posted this in the Coins forum, but didn't get much info in response. So I thought I put it in this forum hoping more people would see it and maybe give me some more info.

I searched to see if there is such a thing as a "2" mint mark and came up with nothing. I also looked at it every which way thinking it could be a "S" or maybe a "micro s" that's been distorted by damage, but I can only see it as a "2". I have no other mercs with an S mm to compare it to. I've also looked into "repunches", but have only seen that term to mean repunching a typical S or D or O mint mark, not using a number.

Let me know...

merc-43-2mm.JPG merc-43-2mm-close.JPG

Last edited:

nfldad

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2013
Nampa, ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is definitely a rare find!! i have no idea if they ever put a '2' on any coin for a mint mark, very cool.. where did you find it?

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There definetly were none minted with a 2 mint mark. I would guess by the condition that something smashed the right of the D to the left and made it appear as a 2. It's really a neat looking mint mark now though!

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, looks like a damaged mint mark early in it's life and lots of normal wear later.

Upvote 0

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter which way i look at it,even as a damaged D mm,I just cant see that ever being a correct D,In my opinion its definitely an error of some sort,Never seen anything like it,Interesting coin for sure,Thanks for sharing with all of us!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ed-D

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding it looking like it was in a fire; probably not. I found it at the lake shore and all the silver I find that's been underwater comes out of the sand really dark. It's normal for silver. Although, yes, it does have a dimple going from back to front.

I have tried and tried to see this as a damaged D or a damaged S, but just can't see it. Maybe it's a damaged D over S repunch (or vice versa). Since I'm stumped I'm going to go with it being a million dollar one of a kind find!!!:laughing7:

Upvote 0

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could it be a D mint mark and something cut the bottom part of the D separating it and giving it the appearance of the bottom part of a 2 ? if you took the straight line of the bottom of the 2 and pushed it up it would turn it back to a D just a thought

Upvote 0

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could it be a D mint mark and something cut the bottom part of the D separating it and giving it the appearance of the bottom part of a 2 ? if you took the straight line of the bottom of the 2 and pushed it up it would turn it back to a D just a thought
I think you got something there ? Mabe it was done by the person using the punch? HH
BK

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might also be a small die chip in a D mintmark.

Upvote 0

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know what it is-Rare, One of a kind, Error, did I mention Rare and worth money? No? Well then, RARE RARE RARE. The stamp quality matches that of the original coin. You'll take it to a dealer, they'll say the same thing, "oh I've never seen that" and then they'll offer you a Wal-Mart price for a DaVinci item. Save it or get it professionally graded.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No matter which way i look at it,even as a damaged D mm,I just cant see that ever being a correct D,In my opinion its definitely an error of some sort,Never seen anything like it,Interesting coin for sure,Thanks for sharing with all of us!

I agree. No matter how I look at it, I can't see how a "D" was changed to make a "2," nor can I see how an "S" would make a perfect "2." I can see how the left side might/could have been changed, but not the right side. It's a perfect 2. Please keep us updated. Super neat find :) Breezie

Upvote 0

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. No matter how I look at it, I can't see how a "D" was changed to make a "2," nor can I see how an "S" would make a perfect "2." I can see how the left side might/could have been changed, but not the right side. It's a perfect 2. Please keep us updated. Super neat find :) Breezie

Ive looked at this from every angle possible,even overlayed a D mm in photoshop over it,It was minted or repunched just like it is now, I cant even make a D or an S look right on this coin,I will give you 50 bucks for it,even if im wrong man it is still an awesome coin and id be happy to own it.Once again,Thanks for sharing!!

HH John

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mint mark is not applied separately.....it's part of the die.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be a D or S that had a piece of foreign material trapped in the die......called a filled die. Not all that uncommon. If the coin was uncirculated, it might be worth something but in it's current state, probably only worth a buck or two over scrap. I'd take the $50 offer and run! :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
From 1909 to 1989 Lincoln Cent mintmarks were hand punched into the working dies near the final step of their production with the aid of a steel punch and a mallet. The technician could just as easily have picked up a numbered punch versus a lettered punch. I can only assume the same process was used on Mercury dimes in 1943 and that procedural 'error' created the "2" in this Merc.
I had originally thought it was a 'repunched' coin; now I believe it was the only punched once with the number "2", intentionally or not.
Don....

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But if this was from a die which was punched incorrectly, there would be thousands of examples of this, and it would be a known error coin.

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only possibilities are:1. damage, there is a lot of damage on the coin in other areas, 2. a small piece of foreign material on the coin, or 3. a small die chip.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread