46 new "artifacts". WTH are all these things? Scrapes? Knives? Plain ol rocks?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
46 new "artifacts". WTH are all these things? Scrapes? Knives? Plain ol' rocks?

Is paying for artifacts taboo? I sure hope not. I didn't pay much if that means anything.

I bought this collection of 46 "artifacts" for $15.00 from a guy that used to work at the local site I have mentioned here. I don't think I wasted my $$$ on a bunch of rocks, but I need some help to confirm just what these things are. Most are quartz and all are from the North East Georgia area.

There are two big broken points in the center of the photo, and some more smaller points at the bottom.

Anyway, just what the heck are most of these? The majority are quartz that look chipped away on the top, while the underside is ground flat and smooth. Many look like pieces of glass, and all have at least one edge that could be used to cut or scrape. The edges are very thin and sharp, and many share the same overall pattern and shape.

Any help with the identification (or debunking) of these would be greatly appreciated.

Hombre sez HH!

points_06-09-11.jpg

Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

Re: 46 new "artifacts". WTH are all these things? Scrapes? Knives? Plain ol' rocks?

I see some brokes, maybe a couple of scrapers and then some that look like they are just rocks.

I have some extra artifacts if you want some

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Re: 46 new "artifacts". WTH are all these things? Scrapes? Knives? Plain ol' rocks?

I thought many were just rocks until I saw the edges of them. Does quartz just naturally cleave itself off like this? I tried to get some better pics of what I am trying to describe but my camera kinda sucks.

quartz6.jpg

quartz1.jpg

quartz2.jpg

quartz3.jpg

quartz4.jpg

quartz5.jpg

F

Felinepeachy

Well that quartz piece looks like a broken point of some kind.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

I think I'll just keep these and throw the rest into a drawer somewhere lol! The stones all appear to be "worked" somehow to me, but I'm new at this. Complete pieces would be nice... Maybe next time.

culledpoints.jpg

F

Felinepeachy

Now those definitely all looked worked. You have a good eye. :icon_cyclops_ani:

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.

Looks like a good haul to me,But I don't know much about those lithics.

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio

some are rocks and some are artifacts! Keep the row of 13 you picked out, put the rest away! :wink:

junkboy

Aug 30, 2009

Not bad at all. I would have jumped on that deal. its slim pickins where i am at so i take artifacts how ever i can get them. Nice haul.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread