Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Hi all, yesterday went out and had a great day again. Found one button(can't read the backmark), a silver what's it and five coppers. After soaking them in distilled water only could make out some detail on one. it is the small copper and it measures just under an inch(micrometer battery is dead) and is left facing. The first two photos are of the obverse and the third is the reverse. I don't know what the coin is but am crossing my fingers someone can help! Thanks!

Attachments

• Picture 142.jpg
    Picture 142.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Picture 143.jpg
    Picture 143.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Picture 144.jpg
    Picture 144.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Picture 145.jpg
    Picture 145.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 1

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting.
Early (pre 1804) Farthings are about the size of your coin,
I'd say your best bet for an ID is attempting a pencil rub, or applying talc to the reverse,
I can see some of the lettering on there. Keep us posted! :hello:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The profile is hard to tell, but does not look like George II or Charles II, and if I had to take a shot at it I'd say King James II. Most of these gunmoney coppers are probably not green, more a grey or beige color, but they can be, especially if dug.

Ireland, James II, 1685 - 1691; 'Williamite War "Gunmoney"

Attachments

• 58745q00.jpg
    58745q00.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting so many coppers in one hunt, what a shame on the wear factor! Hope you get some details on some of the others perhaps with further cleaning.

I looked at the one that IP is trying hard to ID, I just cannot say for sure it is a coin or a button or a coin button. The reverse shot just seems to show something in dead center like a shank was there, but I am only looking at a photo, so I really cannot tell. Good luck, if you get any more detail please post the photos........
One thing for sure, all those finds were old!

Don

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a great day on the coppers, you might want to try a hydrogen peroxide bath on your toasted coppers, it worked good on my 1801 cap busted large cent, the back side looked like a slug, afthr the bath you
can see the laurel leaf and read most of the righting and it doesn't reck the patina of coin.small glass bowl, 1 half inch hydrogen peroxide, heat for one minuate in microwave, now put dish on counter and place
the coin in for 20 mins of until it stops bubbling, then soap and tooth brush, repeat until your happy mine cleaned up good compaired to what it was. good luck, and happy hunting.:icon_thumleft:

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread