5 CW Bullets and Possible Shell Fragment?

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not real experienced with civil war relics. Got to hunt a battlefield site today. Ended up with 5 bullets. The only one I recognize is the ringtail sharps. 3 of them have dimples in the bottom and one has a solid bottom. Does the iron piece look like a shell fragment? I thought the groove might be where the sabot went? Hope the pics are good. I'm trying to post from my phone in a hotel.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476753890.695965.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476753933.551944.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476753962.246792.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1476753986.332296.jpg

Upvote 8

Gitschlag

Aug 7, 2011
Brandon, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter MkII, Minelab Xterra70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a shell fragment to me, especially given the locale! Congrats on a great place to hunt, battlefields are almost all off limits these days! Your bullets appear to be a couple different types of Sharps rounds, probably .54 caliber.

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a shell fragment to me, especially given the locale! Congrats on a great place to hunt, battlefields are almost all off limits these days! Your bullets appear to be a couple different types of Sharps rounds, probably .54 caliber.

Thanks Gitschlag. I feel like Christmas came early this year. I sent a hand written letter to this farmer asking permission. I only had an address so I went old school. I included my phone number and the farmers wife texted me and said to come on up. Before we got here she had secured permission from the surrounding farms also. All hay fields. They've been pounded in the past but she says no one has hunted there in 10 years. These fields were right in the middle of a major battle.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. The sharps with the dimples are a variant of the u.s. 54 sharps. You might end up finding you a shell somewhere around there. HH--Gl

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. The sharps with the dimples are a variant of the u.s. 54 sharps. You might end up finding you a shell somewhere around there. HH--Gl

I want a shell so bad I can taste it. That's one of my bucket list items!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt! Sounds like you are on good ground. I've only found one ringtail Sharps. That's a cool bullet. Congrats [emoji106]

HH RN

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well looks like you at least got part of one... and some nice sharps too..

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on getting the permission! As a token of appreciation give them some mini balls or other relics that you might not want. This will go a long way and it might make them tell any other MDers to stay off your field.

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on getting the permission! As a token of appreciation give them some mini balls or other relics that you might not want. This will go a long way and it might make them tell any other MDers to stay off your field.

We did tell her we would put her a display together and my hunting partner suggested we send a gift basket for thanksgiving or something to that affect. I did mention, in a round about way, other hunters and she implied she would never turn anyone a way. I tried! Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread