5 hours of hard labor yields...just look at the picture!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I spent 2.5 hours each of the last two mornings clearing stinging nettles away from the site of a long defunct cottage at the silver farm. The cottage next door, still standing and active, has given up lots of old wheats, a Barber quarter, Mercs and other old silver, so I assumed this would be a good investment while waiting until leases expire on Sunday. As I cleared a small area, I went over it with the detector; the results, so far, have been very distressing: a 1969D Memorial penny. >:( There is still lots of area to be cleared, and I may not have found the play area, but I really expected to have found something significant by now. The mosquitos are terrible, and the nettles leave a tingling sensation on any bare skin that comes in contact with the plant; if you've ever had your hands in paint thinner for any length of time, it feels very similar. I just have to persist, though it will be lots easier once things cool down and the mosquitos go to their place of eternal torment. Weather permitting, I'll be back out tomorrow, hoping that my search will yield something. I did find a pair of Brass Rail Cafe coffee mugs and some Mayer China (an out of business company of local prominence). So, pictured below, are the best finds of the last two days ;D.

Upvote 0

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Hope you find the SWEET spot there. Keep clearing it out & looking. I didn't see any picture.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Prober said:
Hope you find the SWEET spot there. Keep clearing it out & looking. I didn't see any picture.
And I didn't see anything to picture! ;D

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
halfdime said:
Prober said:
And I didn't see anything to picture! ;D
halfdime,
I appreciate you posting this. It's important for all the members (especially new ones) to see that even the most successful detectorists, sometimes come up short with finds.

Now of course you need to go back out there and get 'er done! :D

Thanks

Ridley

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. Where's the pic of the china? ;D

Keep going! There's bound to be some great keepers there, after seeing all the other fantastic stuff that you found from the area! Good luck!!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nana40 said:
Yeah. Where's the pic of the china? ;D

Keep going! There's bound to be some great keepers there, after seeing all the other fantastic stuff that you found from the area! Good luck!!

Nana ;)
Nana, I can't scan the china and I'm inept at getting my pictures to fit the limits of the website; I've tried, and been given lots of advice, but I think the features that allow that are no longer part of my picture program.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgiven then. ;) I'll mail you more info! :D

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those stinging nettles are for the birds! I remember when I was a kid my dad hauled in a bunch of top soil from somewhere and that spring the whole yard was filled with them.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
While I've been brooding over this failure to find anything other than 69D the last two days, I came up with a one-word way to sum up the situation: Nilver! We've all come to understand what wilver is; nilver would then be its opposite, or would it be negative reciprocal?

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
Sorry to hear you didn't do too great on that first part , but I bet you'll
get some goodies there before all is done. Many times I have been so excited to hit a new spot that I felt just had to produce some good stuff only to come home totally disappointed. It happens but we won't be stopped from persuing our treasure ;) ;D

Doozis

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Nettles are nasty! I get itchy just thinking of them. They hurt too.

I do feel your pain. Can't wait until the nettles die off? Just greedy, huh? ;)

I never thought I would be saying this but I miss your scary avatars. ;D :D

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread