5 MORE LARGE CENTS!!! and one is OOOOLLLD!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im in awe, shock, disbelief, and a bunch of other words i cant pronounce. Hit the field from yesterdays first LC score with my son again today for 2 hrs and managed to pull 5 more large cents!!!:hello2:, and 3 sweet buttons. Guys, i actually kicked one out with the heel of my boot, it was literally right below some corn husks, holy crap the only absolute date im sure of is 1820, however I do have one older than that but cant date it, i know its older because the liberty head is facing to the right as opposed to the others that face to the left. and the back clearly has a 1/100 on the bottom. If my research is correct, that coin w the 1/100 on the back is anywhere from 1793 (liberty cap) up to 1807 (draped bust) man i wish there was a way to pull the dates, Its killing me, does the olive oil trick really work or do they look too far gone? Here are the pics of todays haul: the haul.jpg 5 LCs.jpg 1820.jpg draped bust maybe and 1820.jpg 1 outa 100.jpg bird button.jpg large button.jpg smooth button back.jpg smooth button front.jpg The buttons were a neat find also, one is huge, thought it was another LC, looks like it was plated at some point, the other was perfectly smooth and almost a nickel finish, the last one was my favorite, it has 2 birds on it facing in different directions. This site is something special, i feel like we are on to something pretty hot here

Last edited:
Upvote 9

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very kewl finds! normally has you know these are what most 19th century Liberty's come out of the ground looking! Unless you dig them in some very nice rich and sandy soil the coin will always have major environmental damage too it! Really awesome coin day for you I hope you're next one is a gold one! :occasion14:

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great finds:thumbsup:

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really awesome coin day for you I hope you're next one is a gold one! :occasion14:

thank you sir, thatd b awesome, shoot im hoping for a seated or barber, these coins are way older than that!!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What state are you in? I need to find some fields packed with large cents!!!

Pennsylvania bud, I drove 38 miles one way just to get to this spot, a friend of a friend that was nice enought to let me hunt his Large Cent littered corn field:tongue3:

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, the old large cents are always a nice find, the button is cool, I can't make out what is on the one button, I have found several worn out large coppers over the years, some time you still can see a out line of the figure on the coin, but not always.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't make out what is on the one button,

yeah crappy cellphone pics, my 6 yr old broke my camera, anyway the one button is totally smooth, the large button just has the design you see in the pic, nothing on back and the other one is a button with 2 birds on it, facing opposite directions

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The MD gods really like you.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think last year i found seven large cents the whole year, you are a lucky guy ha ha sweet finds!

thats what i told my son, i said people go for years w/o finding even one and in 2 days we found 6! its all luck, the right place at the right time

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Olive oil and soak a long time then wipe and use old toothbrushes for this. HH Boris 20120511_105739.jpg

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure I would ever feel like that site was hunted out! Great finds and hope you can date those.

Happy Hunting!

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found an 05' Indian Head. Not worth much so I think I will try this olive Oil thing and see if it works. Might soak it a week and see if that is long enough. Any suggestions as far as the length of the soak?

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure I would ever feel like that site was hunted out! Great finds and hope you can date those.

Happy Hunting!

yeah seriously!, if i was to attempt to put a percentage on how much we covered so far i bet its no more than 5%, this field is huge and i only hit a small sliver

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, does that look a fun day! :hello2: LC's are one of my favorite coins to dig. Congrats on that haul. :icon_thumleft: I'd be gridding that cornfield to death. Do you know if there was an early house or business at the site?

Keep digging!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 5 Copper day is a good one.

The DB with fraction is 1804 or earlier. Yes they are quite far gone, and olive oil is not magic.

Nice large buttons, the smoothe one is most likely tombac.

No doubt there is more there, don't pass on the lower signals, I'll bet there are some great buttons there.

The field may be huge, but you are in the hot spot. again 5 Coppers in only 2 hours is great. My best day ever was 9 coppers in 4 hours, the post is on this forum with video. I'd continue to concentrate on that same area, and dig pretty much everything.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a Fantastic Corn Field hunt and your First Draped Bust greenie ! Glad to see those PA corn fields are getting searched . The fertilizers can really do a number on the coppers. Search the perimeters of the field and just maybe you will find better lc's that have,t been subjected to the harsh acidity. You are likely hooked and will need to find more , trust me , I know all to well :munky2:
coin monkeys on your back

CMD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions