5 MORE LARGE CENTS!!! and one is OOOOLLLD!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im in awe, shock, disbelief, and a bunch of other words i cant pronounce. Hit the field from yesterdays first LC score with my son again today for 2 hrs and managed to pull 5 more large cents!!!:hello2:, and 3 sweet buttons. Guys, i actually kicked one out with the heel of my boot, it was literally right below some corn husks, holy crap the only absolute date im sure of is 1820, however I do have one older than that but cant date it, i know its older because the liberty head is facing to the right as opposed to the others that face to the left. and the back clearly has a 1/100 on the bottom. If my research is correct, that coin w the 1/100 on the back is anywhere from 1793 (liberty cap) up to 1807 (draped bust) man i wish there was a way to pull the dates, Its killing me, does the olive oil trick really work or do they look too far gone? Here are the pics of todays haul: the haul.jpg 5 LCs.jpg 1820.jpg draped bust maybe and 1820.jpg 1 outa 100.jpg bird button.jpg large button.jpg smooth button back.jpg smooth button front.jpg The buttons were a neat find also, one is huge, thought it was another LC, looks like it was plated at some point, the other was perfectly smooth and almost a nickel finish, the last one was my favorite, it has 2 birds on it facing in different directions. This site is something special, i feel like we are on to something pretty hot here

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Score !

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry around some oil....any oil - not so much for cleaning - but -you want to keep the air from drying the coins out too fast - you will keep more of the surface/patina - and likely get a date..I just put a little jar in my coat and put anything that is really interesting in there....got tired of things getting banged up in my pockets.....

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool!
Two things I learned long ago.....never put water on copper coins until you know how the soil/patina in your area react with it....I pretty much ruined my first LC with water,and never put two piece buttons in oil

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, does that look a fun day! :hello2: LC's are one of my favorite coins to dig. Congrats on that haul. :icon_thumleft: I'd be gridding that cornfield to death. Do you know if there was an early house or business at the site?

Keep digging!

not sure, but i suspect there was, im finding fragments of pottery and what looks like china dishes everywhere along with red bricks

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a Fantastic Corn Field hunt and your First Draped Bust greenie ! Glad to see those PA corn fields are getting searched . The fertilizers can really do a number on the coppers. Search the perimeters of the field and just maybe you will find better lc's that have,t been subjected to the harsh acidity. You are likely hooked and will need to find more , trust me , I know all to well :munky2:
coin monkeys on your back

CMD

lol tell me about it, i was supposed to study for a test today but decided it was too nice and hit it again, im about to make another thread about that hunt, scored LC # 7in 3 days,& a 1812 in sweet shape

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats what i told my son, i said people go for years w/o finding even one and in 2 days we found 6! its all luck, the right place at the right time

Here is a bunch I found in the Northern Neck of Virginia. There are spots mainly colonial horse race tracks you can dig up a ton of them.. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/332372-richmond-county-virginia-finds-1795-liberty-1853-1837-1911-etc.html 2 years without digging no coins I can't even image that id be heart-broken. Hope you find a some late 18th century coins soon!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread