thewoodboys

Greenie
Dec 2, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello friends! Well two days ago, my dad told me about dowsing. I had never really heard about it, just about people finding water with sticks. So I started looking into it. I seen people dowsing photos of areas, and it really intrigued me. I believed! Which I believe is very important. So today, before we went out on our M' Ding hunt at a early 1900's football field, I said, let me try this. My dad had already pulled two silver out of this field the last time we were there, and was hoping for more this time. So I went on Google earth, got a picture of the area, and printed it out. Now I don't have any fancy dowsing tools or anything like that, so i took a necklace, and put a silver ring on it. After I printed out the map, I took my crafty dowsing tool, and began. I asked it to show me where the silver was at. I moved it back and forth the picture slowly, and felt it pull at some spots, and circle others. I marked them on my pic, with X's. I didn't really know what to think, but had an open mind. If it worked, cool! If not, Oh well. Here is the map I came up with, the yellow X's are where I marked silver, and the red is where we found silver. The top right X's and the top left X, we didnt get to spend any time on. IMG_20121202_175138.jpg I started at the lower left. Found a 1941 silver Washington, within 10 feet of this X. Between this and the next X to the right, my dad found two silver dimes, one Merc, and one Rosie, nothing around the next X tho. So we went out on the football field, those two X's stacked on top of each other, were dead on!!! The bottom one I got my 1898 barber dime, and while i started checking the X on top of it, I told my dad to while I checked the other two X's in the top right corner. Our time ran out, but as I was walking back to my dad, he had that look! I asked him " Did you find it?" He said yep, and I could tell he was a little shocked at the accuracy, we walked out where he dug it, and we looked at the map! Wow! Dowsing works!! Oh yeah, it was another Merc. I know spending time at the few remaining X's, is probably going to bring forth another silver or two. The crazy thing was that this was my first time doing it. I will be trying to master this, and will continue believing! Happy Hunting, TheWoodBoys 480377_309236059190822_1474457970_n.jpg :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 3

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that's pretty darn cool, I have some sites that I am looking for shipwreck pieces and am willing to try anything to narrow down the field a little. When you did go out to check the spots did you find the coins with the detector or by dowsing?
ZDD

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Don't know enough about it to make a comment. Will say, if it works for you great. Why not ask it where the gold is? Does it work like that or would that be too greedy? Congrats on a nice little haul of silver though.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice finds! I don't believe that dowsing had anything to do with you finding them, but they are still nice finds.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
now test it and see if there's silver where there aren't any Xs. My great aunt said she dowsed to find some wells. Although I didn't witness that, it seems to have some merit... at least for wells. Not sure if it's effectiveness on silver...

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds, I had a friend who could talk the fire out of burns, He did it for me and his daughter, Both of us should have scars and dont. My ex girlfriend could stop bleeding she also did this for me. I knew an old man when I was a kid who would dowse for water for people to did wells, He stayed pretty doing it. So I don't know how some of this stuff works ,But I do know that some of it does. jmho, Congradulations on your finds, and Good luck on your Dowsing trials. As my Grandma used to say, to each his own........................................HH

OP
OP
T

thewoodboys

Greenie
Dec 2, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to zdd we used detectors I have a Garret Ace350 my son uses a FisherF4

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know enough about it to make a comment. Will say, if it works for you great. Why not ask it where the gold is? Does it work like that or would that be too greedy? Congrats on a nice little haul of silver though.

Forget that rubbish, ask for rhodium!

xtrmdigger

Oct 28, 2012
Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Garrett AT PRO
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett GTI 2500
TESORO SAND SHARK
FISHER PULSE 8X
Great job I always take my Ouija board before I go!

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the slver. Dowsing for water does work. Two of my Aunts were missionarys in India. They would visit the towns and dowse water wells for them. They also dowsed the wells on my Grandfathers dairy farm, and they have never dried up.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool!!!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!! So i know dowsing but i'm never see person find with it!!
On test work great.
On hunt:dontknow:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
tell me you're joking. Map-dowsing? Oh and then you pull out your detector to "pinpoint"? Let me tell you something: If you wave a rod at enough likely looking ruins (or athletic fields where you readily admit silver has already been pulled from), and get the rod or pendulum or whatever to "point to it", well ...... duh, if you turn on a metal detector, then sure, you'll find metal. And it's the dowsing that did it? I have a suspicion that you, or 100 guys on this forum could go to that same field, and also .... just by subconscious knowledge of the hobby, go to the "most-likely" looking zones (where fumble-fingers are most likely to be, etc...) and presto, find something with our metal detectors.

Sorry, this is hocus pocus. You say yourself that "believing" is "important" (in the recipe for making this work, I presume), thus relegating this to the arena of supernatural (requiring "belief"), not scientific. Detectors require no "belief" to work. Set one up on a table, wave an object, and it goes "beep". No matter how many people wave the object, no matter whether they "believe" it or not, it will still "beep".

Last edited:

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice silvers

OP
OP
T

thewoodboys

Greenie
Dec 2, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you seem very offended by this tom. I never even heard of it, until I seen it on this site. I tried it to see if it worked, If not, then oh well. I also believe that Christ died on the cross, and three days later rose again, but your science and theories would probably prove that wrong too, am I close on this one? And you also say the most likely looking zones? The two on the field where dead on! Not sure how likely it is that on the field players are carrying change in their pockets. Moses talked to God in a burning bush, Jesus walked on water, raised a dead man, healed the sick, and turned water into wine. I believe that God is in control of all things, so the only reason that this could have worked, would be because He allowed it too. But all that "supernatural" stuff is just too much for a guy like you, right? Next time you see a post you don't agree with, carry on your way. I am by no means saying, that i can dowse any map and find all the silver or gold or whatever it may be. All I did was post exactly how the story went, and thought it was very cool. On that day though, we would not have found those silver, without doing this experiment. When I go back and check the X's we haven't checked, I will post those results too, right here on this forum, either way it goes.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

woodboys, I'll try to answer your points briefly:

Both of us ascribe to a Christian world view, to which we apply "belief". I do not take this to therefore be justification to the "belief" alluded to in dowsing. Because here's the difference: We BOTH already know and believe that our Christian faith IS a "belief". And that's fine! I'm with you there. I suppose if you readily admit that your dowsing too is also a religion or faith-based venture, then sure. I thought maybe you (as some try to do), would try to explain dowsing in scientific way (the "signal line" between the points, magnetism, solar flares, or other such explanations). Why do they do that? Because they understandably want to DISTANCE their LRL's or dowsing from being supernatural in nature, mystical, religous etc... They will insist that it's totally explainable in physical terms (in albeit as-yet "un-discovered" science perhaps).

But if you readily say that it IS religous and supernaturally based (thus requiring belief, as would prayer, etc....), then I mis-spoke. But let me ask you then: doesn't that put you in a pickle of dabbling into things by which your very faith speaks against? (just asking).

diggerdeeper

Nov 16, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & 'Nox 800, XP Deus, Nokta Fors/Cor
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whether it's pseudo science or whatever....... if it works, it works.
Will it work 100% of the time ? Probably not.Can it be explained logically ? Probably not.
Was it purely coincidental ? Who knows, but the guy got results; and that's what counts.
I used to experiment with dowsing as a young man.
I would place a quantity of silver coins under an opaque plastic container, then have two identical ones that hid nothing.
I would leave the room, have my mom switch them around and I would slowly walk over them with L rods.
So it was like a "shell game", except the containers were never side by side.
More often than not, I could locate the right container.
I could do it with a pendulum over bottle caps, where one had a silver coin under it.
Not every time, but about 75% of the time I got it right.
I tried map dowsing for old foundations using topo maps , a ruler, and a pendulum.
What I found looked like a foundation, but turned out to be the remains of where they used to burn wood to make charcoal for the old iron furnaces.
Yeah, I could have found it stumbling around without any prior knowledge; but the things is, my marked spot was within about 50 yards or less of the actual location.
I haven't done this in years. Why ? I was single then. Now I am married, and run a small business.Spare time is scarce.
And I can tell you, dowsing takes time, concentration, and a quiet place with NO distractions.
If you can't focus, chances are you will fail.The indications are very subtle.

If you think this is a lot of BS, ask a Vietnam Vet how many landmines and underground tunnels were located by dowsing with L rods.

geoproseeker

Greenie
Aug 23, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Vaquero, Tesoro-Compadre, Fisher F2, Whites Classic IDX
Very fun story to read ! We treasure hunters have to realize we are all a bit different from the pack. I enjoyed reading this entire thread !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions