5 silver streak+FIRST BARBER!!!!

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I have had an amazing silver streak this last week. From my last four hunts I've pulled 5 silver. 4 coins and one ring.

When I upgraded from my 1350 to the 2500 I purchased the 5" Exelerator coil with it. I had planned on making it a major weapon on my hunts but just had never put it on much.

After this last week...I MAY NEVER TAKE IT OFF.
2500.jpg
I knew it got great sepperation but always wondered how good of depth it got. So I never could convince my self to leave it on for a good long while for fear of missing a deep old coin. Well then me and my hunting buddy got out together and decided to run some tests. Me with the 2500 and the 5" coil and him with his 2500 and the stock 9.5" coil. We went back to a park we have found lots of silver and any time he got a deep coin signal he would call me over to check it and see how it hit with my coil. The results surprised me.

The 5 in coil easily hits coins 6 in deep! The VDI is off some but it's solid belltones in all directions so who cares. We repeated the test several times with hits he was getting at 5-6 inches and it hit belltones every time with the 5 in coil. We were both very surpprised and pleased to say the least. Later that same hunt I got this whopping silver ring. It was only 2 inches down but it screamed at me like none other.
ring.jpg

Well I was thinking that this was too good to be true. A small coil that gets the best sepperation I've ever seen but still gets great depth. So I had to take to the oldest and therefore the trashest park in town. With me new knoledge of how the 5 in performs I knew I should be able to find some previously untouched finds. I head straight towards a spot I always seam to avoid because of high trash content...a picnic table. Within 10 minutes I got a great signal on the west side of the picnic table slab. There was also a distinct pulltab signal just to the left of it. Well the 5" coil saw the good signal and out popped this beauty. it hit right on a 9 VDI
firstmerc.jpg
firstmercface.jpg
The next hunt me and my friend went back to the test park (his favorite site latly.) We hunted the whole day with nothing but clad and some wheats. When we were getting ready to go I made the comment "I wonder why there dosn't seam to be as much silver on this side of the park?" Well, the next signal I got was a 9 VDI. Out comes the silver.
roosiedirt.jpg
roosie.jpg

The next hunt was my Dads choice (he doesn't get to get out as much as me and my friend do) lucky for me he picked the same old park i found the first Merc dime. Well they staked out their spots and I went back around my trashy picnic table. I was hunting the west side of it when I got another 9 VDI right in the middle of a bunch of pulltab signals....I was thinking "no way my luck is that good" well I start digging my hole and my Dad walks up to show me he has just dug an old wheatie and nickle in the same hole. I thought that was pretty cool. He then sticks around to watch me dig my target. Out pops my third silver dime in three hunts from around 3-4 in deep. I was off just a tad pinpointing (probably because of all the pulltabs) and nicked the back just a bit. :'(
secondmerc.jpg
2ndmercface.jpg
2ndmercnick.jpg

My Dad is always just as excited to see me dig silver as I am to dig it. Then it happens, three feet away from where I just dug a Merc I get a choppy signal that bounces from dime-quarter but a solid belltone so I dig a big deep plug (I don't want to scratch this one) I see a silver rim that is bigger then a dime and really worn. I had a really good feeling about it so I called my Dad and my friend over to watch cause I know they will want to see this. I took a pic to show how deep this coil had to go to hit this coin. We had some bottled water so I did a very careful feild rinse and oh how beautiful she is!
coildepth.jpg
barber1.jpg
barber2.jpg

This coin breaks a LOT of records for me.
1: Oldest silver found MDing
2: First 1800 era coin
3: Oldest coin found MDing
4: First BARBER SILVER!!!!!!!!!

I broke the streak on the sixth hunt but I'll never forget that week ending in my first Barber silver. I'm also serious about not taking off the 5" coil. It has gone above and beyond what I thought it would. hopfully I will hit another streak soon. Thanks for looking and HH!!!

TG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Here are just a couple pics to show the level of seperation in the two coils.

Attachments

• Coilsep5.JPG
    Coilsep5.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 655
  • coilsep9.5.JPG
    coilsep9.5.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 652

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver find :icon_thumleft: those coin shooter coils do the job .Good Hunt Dd60

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: GOOD FINDS! I've often wondered how the 2500 did out in the field. I've held a 1500 at beach for a moment or two, but never used it. I bet the small coil will help you get to all sorts of goodies with that detector--Congrats! AND GOOD LUCK! :headbang: :laughing7:

sodapoptop

May 13, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Welcome to the 1800s Texas Gopher! Those are very COOL finds! The added graphics really caught my eye and gives a great visual for us slow learners who use large coils. Best of luck in your future hunts!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Great story! I found my one and only Barber last year, a 1909 O quarter. I'm still looking to break into the 1800s as well, I've hit 1900 twice on IH pennies lol. Hopefully and join you soon, and nice coins!

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Congrats on breaking into the 1800's and on your first Barber!

Love the quarters, that Reverse design is cool. I've only found one, an '08.

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
great pics and finds.
congrats on your barber.
i really like my 5" excelerator on my ex SE.
just got the 6" excelerator, but so far like the 5" better.
keep it up!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the silver

Since I usually hit the same parks over and over I like to rotate coils. I'm currently working on a new park and have the same small coil on my White's DFX. The park has sooooo much trash I had to use the 5" coil. Helps with the seperating junk from the good stuff. I have 5 silvers from my last three hunts plus a Buffalo nickel, IH penny and a few wheaties.

Good stuff...keep it up.
NJ

swent1

May 17, 2007
NH/MASS
Detector(s) used
tesoro deleon whites idx pro
congrats on those silvers :headbang: :headbang:

and i love the in the field photos :o :o

im hoping to break the 1800's real soon

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Thanks for all the comments guys! I haven't been able to get out the last two weeks but I can't wait to do some more testing on this small coil.

TG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread