First Civil War find for me. Yesssss

deagleye

Feb 26, 2008
South Alabama
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
My friend and I have not got to detect in 2 years. We finally both got out and went to a location we acquired permission to detect. We knew there was a minor civil war battle real close to there, so we had high hopes. He found the top brass part of a knife or sword sheath. These was most of my bring home finds. I know there are a few more modern items in there but, I did find a colt lead bullet. The bullet next to it is lead and don't know anything about it. The next two items I found was the balls. I thought they were bearings, but, they came out of a two piece mold and have a flat spot on them. Not sure. I have no clue what the long oval tray is. There is no markings on it. Thanks for looking and good luck to all as the weather is getting prettier.

Regards Dennis

Attachments

• down size.jpg
    down size.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 - White's Spectra V3i - White's XLT - Minelab Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The long metal item in the top center of the photo is a valve stem cover........I have two that are identical to yours. The tray is likely the cover to a tin, perhaps a cigar tin....... Love the bottle and other digs .......keep them coming.

Psgen

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Congrats on your first civil war finds. The smaller bullet looks modern. Could you post better pics of both bullets. If the balls are lead they are civil war or earlier round balls. Used in guns before bullets were made. The flat spot is where the sprue ( excess lead from the mold) was cut off. Psgen is right about the valve stem covers.

OP
OP
deagleye

deagleye

Feb 26, 2008
South Alabama
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Thank you for everybody's information. I will try to in the next few days get a better pic of the bullets. I do have to agree the one bullet I believe is more modern. But the others are older. I can't wait to get back there and dig more. Thanks again. Blessing Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread