5 silvers before I was rained out

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
I drove the hour drive to my honey hole today as the weather forecast was for PM showers and there was no rain on the radar. I guess 12 noon is technically PM and that's about when the rain moved in. When I arrived at my favorite site it was overcast and windy. I fired up my trusty CZ-5 and did a little test and tune with her. Just a few inches from where I ground balanced my machine I got a four inch deep coin reading. In this park there are so many coins from ~1900 to present that I limit myself to digging the "over 3" crowd, meaning over 3 inches deep. That way I can spend my time digging up mostly silver, wheats and the occasional buffalo and indian. I dug the target and found a wheat. This was an area I really hadn't hit before, so I figured that was a good sign. The next signal was a '62 memorial and then a nice '57 quarter. I continued digging the scattered wheats, early memorials, clad dimes, nickels and clad quarters. I eventually dug another silver quarter, 1956-D, and a '47 dime. Then the rain came, I kept at it for a while, but eventually went back for my rain jacket. I kept hunting until I added a Merc, worn 1917, and headed back detecting as I went. I picked up a 53-D dime on the way back to the truck. The rain had gotten me wet, cold and muddy, but I managed a three hour hunt. I ended up with 15 wheats(30's-50's), 2 clad quarters, 31 clad dimes, 8 nickels, 50 memorials, 2 silver quaters and three silver dimes. There were also a gold plated ring and a nice chain I thought was silver until I saw "avon" on the clasp.
Thanks, Steve

Attachments

• IM000834.JPG
    IM000834.JPG
    447.5 KB · Views: 493
  • 05-06-09 finds.jpg
    05-06-09 finds.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 490
Upvote 0

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
Ive always wanted to find a silver quarter. :-\
Its raining badly here too had floods all over.
HH and nice finds.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't know you would be off today or I would have ask to come along :-\ Nice haul from your honey hole. I see it is still being faithfull to you :icon_sunny:

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
Nice digs DD... Sure like the looks of that wilver...

HH Robert

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
civil war hunter said:
HH and nice finds.
Rain, rain go away! Swing a detector in the right spots and you'll find many silver quarters. Good luck!!

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
John Deere Digger said:
Very nice, been a while since I have had a multiple silver day. Congrats.
JDD
Thanks, it's always a good day when you bring back multiple silvers and fortunately this site almost always produces multiples.

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
crazyjarhead said:
I didn't know you would be off today or I would have ask to come along :-\ Nice haul from your honey hole. I see it is still being faithfull to you :icon_sunny:
I went into work today and found we had no work, so I went detecting. I thought you would be working or I would have called you. I'll call or email ya the next time I go.

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
Thanks i hope so to.

daytondigger said:
civil war hunter said:
HH and nice finds.
Rain, rain go away! Swing a detector in the right spots and you'll find many silver quarters. Good luck!!

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Nice haul Steve! You must be sore and tired after all of that digging!!!!!

Any day you find even one silver is a great day in my book. You done good!

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Avon is about 20 minutes away from me. Nice digs, I've been there, getting soaked and cold and getting a pair of jeans ruined, but I pretty much don't regret anything once I get home and all cleaned up. ;D Good luck on more trips to your honey hole.

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
time4me said:
Nice haul Steve! You must be sore and tired after all of that digging!!!!!

Any day you find even one silver is a great day in my book. You done good!
Thanks, I was sore and tired after a 10 hour hunt with crazyjarhead on Sunday, but today was "all good".

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Great finds Dayton!

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Nate in Ohio said:
Avon is about 20 minutes away from me. Nice digs, I've been there, getting soaked and cold and getting a pair of jeans ruined, but I pretty much don't regret anything once I get home and all cleaned up. ;D Good luck on more trips to your honey hole.
Thanks Nate, I know you guys know what a pleasure it is to have a site that can produce multiple silvers on each visit. I dread the day that it becomes slim pickings. Good luck to you this year!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread