5 X 10 Ws coil for Tejon??

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
There are plenty of folks using the 12 x10 on the Tejon and liking it really well, but I have only found a couple of mentions of any one using the (Lobo) 5 x 10 Ws "on the Tejon,V or C". One guy gives it a good grade and loves it and one doesn't,so much,and that is to be expected. and with more on hands reports it will be easier to make any judgments on it. Many of the other Detector Manufs. have gotten really strong on the use of the 5 X10 Ws, and similar sizes. There is a reason for that or it would't happen that way. and yet there has only been a slight shift toward the 5 X10 Ws use on the T,V,and C. It is all about the 10X12. It may still be all about depth for many folks in going to the larger coils, and that's fair nuff since we all do what we choose.. I have been there and done the depth "fever " thing myself, and still it is always there to think on, but packing a bigger, (not always heavier) coil is not always what gets the job done, and it really can sap the "fun"part of a long day of detecting. Uh oh, I am wandering so I best stick with my thoughts on the 5 X10 and hope someone else will come along with some input. I have tried my 5x10 Ws a couple of times now on my Tejon,(mild dirt) but only for short hunts and find it to be getting better depth than what I had read about it getting,(suits me anyway) and seems to be getting through the trash pretty good too. Not that the depth matters but it is nice to know how other folks are doing and of course it makes us feel good to hear about our stuff being "depth hogs" but I have found that almost always after walking the woods long enough on any given day, that you almost always get to where a trash zone has gathered up and it is time to "root hog" for the goodies and you will be wishing you had that bit smaller coil on the end of that thing! Just my thoughts and any experiences with the 5 X10 will greatly be appreciated! HH, Cass.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You about said it all on the 5X10 WS. It is pretty deep as it is yet good to have when we get into the trashy parts. :thumbsup:

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cass,

I have been hitting soccer fields with the 5x10ws. My personal experience is that it doesn't penetrate deep as the "somewhat comparable" 5.75ws (Thats what she said). I think there is a trade off when you gain coverage area over field density. ie the better performing 5.75ws.
However it performs plenty well for shallow coins and jewelry. It hits very good on small objects (sometimes too good). Its a light coil and I have a tendency to swing it faster than the larger coils, but If I sweep too fast it barely breaks the sound barrier on many objects.
It all depends on your hunting preference. I am very happy with its performance on my Vaq.

OP
OP
C

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Hi Ism, sorry for my dragging around about getting back in here. Been a little busy swinging that 5 X 10Ws. Like you , I like that coil! I found another 1815 Jackson Button (with an Eagle and Shield this time) with it about 20' from where I found the first one(slick). It was probably no more than 6" deep but literally where I have been over and over time and time again. That tells me it is maybe catching some slack of the 8 X 9, 5.75 (Con.) and that is why I got it. And you are right for sure , it does hit hard on some small stuff. Nearby in the same dirt I found a small round lead ball( Buckshot or maybe slightly bigger) that was below the clay line and that usually measures out around 8- 10" deep. That blew me away, and I think that may be getting toward what you said about going to deep. He he, I would have not thought about all the work involved if it had been another button or a coin! LOL, the 5X10 is a keeper, and now I have to hope for some rain to soften this dry dirt. HH, Cass

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread