Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TerryC, in answer, I am not informed on the needs of DPS. but...if someone suggested recertification to you, it has been my experience that you probably have a job if you do...
just an uneducated opinion...

I sure do love the pine trees...hate shoveling snow.:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
omg all the drama ,, although i have not fired this round and all due respect to the police officers and ex military but i have seen these rounds and others fired , dropped , thrown around ....as frank and a few others have said , it will not harm you unelss in a Gun or if you are holding it and hit it on the firing pin hard with a sharp object , and then you would get powderburns and a good scare.

BUT that said , you are doing the right thing by having some one look at it , and i am sure that even though you have kids in your house you do not make it a practice to let them play with you or your husbands ammo right ,,,lol

its like i was told by a old timer ," you can handle a rattle snake as long as you remember its a rattle snake . "
meaning use your head and handle it properly .

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
  • Alyssa Ivanson
PLEASANT LAKE, Ind. (WANE) - George Fath moved to his mobile home in rural Steuben County two months ago. The previous owners left a lot of trash in the yard, so Fath was cleaning up Thursday afternoon. That's when he found a 22 caliber bullet in the yard. He didn't want his three young boys to get hurt from the bullet, so Fath decided to dispose of it.
"My hammer was outside so I took the bullet and put it on a rock and smacked it with the hammer," Fath said.
Fath wasn't expecting the bullet to fire.
"It went off and went into my belly and knocked me on my butt," Fath said.nt into my belly and knocked me on my butt," Fath said.
Fath said he thought he was shot in the stomach. His wife called 911. According to the police report the bullet didn't actually hit Fath.
"Fath was not bleeding, and it did not appear that Fath was struck with the bullet. Fath suffered a minor abrasion to the area of his stomach," police records read.
But, Fath told NewsChannel 15 the bullet did go in his stomach and doctors removed it at the hospital.
"I smacked the bullet and fell down and blood came pouring out," Fath said. "I was hitting it to smash it. I didn't expect it to go bang."
Fath said he'll never hit a bullet with a hammer again.
"I wasn't thinking about it. It was the dumbest thing I ever did in my life. I suggest nobody do it," Fath said.
Police agree. Steuben County Sheriff Rick Lewis said no one should ever hit a bullet with anything.
"The round can go anywhere. It could hit the person striking it with a hammer, a neighbor, a child in the yard. There's just no controlling where the bullet will go," Lewis said.
A bullet doesn't have to be in a gun to fire.
"Anytime you get pressure [to the end of the bullet] to cause it to explode, it will fire," Lewis said.someone finds a bullet, don't throw it in the trash either.
"Call local law enforcement and we can take car of it," Lewis said.

borlamm1

Jan 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you trying to compare a .22 to a .50 cal round??

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I'm making a point

Last edited by a moderator:

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
The .22 went off because the primer is part of the base of the shell.. duhh.. so it was the same as being hit with a firing pin.
It didn't explode from hitting the powder in the shell.
Modern smokeless powder is very safe as far as a propellent... it burns and builds pressure.. it doesn't explode.

Next time you're out shooting, stand a live round up and shoot it... use a .50 cal if you have one... see if the round goes off.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
some of you drive a man to drink, even if the odds are infinitesimal, why take a chance? it's very easy to offer advice online, but if anything happens you gonna back up your advice?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice is Do not hit it with a hammer or a little pointy object :tongue3:

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard a rumor that if you tie meat to it a coyote will eat it and blow himself up

So don't store it near your meat

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I heard a rumor that if you tie meat to it a coyote will eat it and blow himself up

So don't store it near your meat

bet the roadrunner told you that...

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image-1575141882.jpg
    image-1575141882.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 80

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
some of you drive a man to drink, even if the odds are infinitesimal, why take a chance? it's very easy to offer advice online, but if anything happens you gonna back up your advice?

But, where is your sense of adventure!?:laughing7:

When I was a kid, I would put shotgun shells(live) on the end of my bb gun and hold it above my head and pull the trigger!
I can tell you for a fact.. then they will go off!

Many people like to give advice and don't have a clue what they're telling. If I tell ya something.. you can take it to the bank!

oh.. I already drink... some.

OP
OP
Jimmi

Jimmi

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of what causes a bullet to go off ... What would possess someone to hit it with a hammer to dispose of it? Lmao.
I hAve some rat poison I need to get rid of, I guess I'll eat it.;)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But, where is your sense of adventure!?:laughing7:

When I was a kid, I would put shotgun shells(live) on the end of my bb gun and hold it above my head and pull the trigger!
I can tell you for a fact.. then they will go off!

Many people like to give advice and don't have a clue what they're telling. If I tell ya something.. you can take it to the bank!

oh.. I already drink... some.

adventure all you like with your life, when someone asks for advice for their family try taking the safe path. sure we should trust you cause you say so....

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorry, I thought this was a place we could ask a question if we had one, my mistake .
Jimmi, this is still a place to ask a question. Just don't be discouraged. TTC

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
"What would possess someone to hit it with a hammer to dispose of it?"

Stupid, maybe!?
He thought he knew.. but didn't.

A better method would be to pull the bullet from the case with a pair of pliers while holding the case with the other hand.
the bullet will come out easy... dump the powder on the grass.. put a little oil in the case to kill the primer... and discard in the trash.

Now you may ask how do I know this? I read it on the internet.. so it's got to be true!:laughing7:

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
adventure all you like with your life, when someone asks for advice for their family try taking the safe path. sure we should trust you cause you say so....

Sorry.. I don't tinker with what I don't know without good research... that's how I've been able to live for 65 years!!
I was joking about the adventure part... if you don't know... research and get help from a professional if safety is a main concern!!

You can tell by some of the answers you received above.. many don't really know what they're talking about.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Just take the .50BMG to your Dad and have him pull the bullet. Most reloaders can do this very easy.
I don't think it's a live round, but have him pull it to make sure. That way he can replace the bullet so you'll have a paper weight.

I had to laugh at some of the replies... run to the police screaming!:laughing7:

This is how simple it is.. IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions