50 years after the hard rock mines closed there still gold to be had.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi all, Even nearly 12 months after the big bush fire here. Much cleaning up is still to be done. On Australia day i hit a place called Long Gully. All the burn trees and top soil was cleaned up. Which has revealed areas of clean ground. Covered up by tailing heaps and vast numbers of peppercorn trees and lots of local dumped rubbish, this site would have been near impossible to Md. Using machinery the whole area was scrapped down to the pan. between 1856 and 1953 more than 200 mines operated. Considered one of the most mined areas in the world. Also called the "Golden Mile" Someware around 7 million ozs was take from this area in a 100 years. Deepest mine was the Victoria Quartz with main shaft at 5004 feet, the richest mine here was the Lansell 180.

Spent most of the time working the natural ground revealed and this was a real pain, Plenty of junk. started the day with DD coil and cleared as much as possible. Most wasted time. So moved to the area past the mines and worked the area on the side of the hill which had little and no structures.Covers by tailing sands for years the site had never be hunted. Put the 12 inch mono coil on switch my target volume up to 12 and Gain at 12 and threshold just up from minium. After 3 trips of about 4 hours in the morning and evening i managed about 11 grams of gold and 2 specis.

Here a pic of the site today after the clean up and one of the area when the hard mines operated in about 1880.

Attachments

• S7301631.JPG
    S7301631.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,491
  • S7301636.JPG
    S7301636.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,476
  • S7301596.JPG
    S7301596.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,485
  • S7301590.JPG
    S7301590.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,481
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
strickman said:
nice color tinpan,glad to see your post. that is gods country for sure.

When you see a pair of Square tail kites working together to corner prey. thats just awsome. blowing quite hard these 2 birds of prey just duck and weave threw the trees about 20 feet away from you. They have an amazing whistle and chat to each other flat out. They followed me for a while hoping i would flush out a small bird or reptile.After about 20 minutes one bird grabbed a 2 foot snake. Sounds like a wildlife show on TV but its real. its was still over a 100 degrees at 6.30 pm last nite and very dry and dusty. Not a sole in sight and i didn,t find much but i enjoyed the bird show. I find this place awsome but some wouldn,t. I,m just an average working guy with a great location and good md and thats why i find plenty of relics and gold. Its hard work digging the ground here .

tinpan

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
That is a lot of gold congrats on your finds.

stilldiggin65

Nov 21, 2009
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds ! Keep us updated . I want to find an old mine near me to do that .Thanks for posting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread