42.5 KB · Views: 3,175
Last edited:
Upvote 16

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG!!! Super find! Congrats!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Serial number is inside the case. You really ought to give it back dude. It belongs to someone else. Bad, bad Karma.

iratepirate

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
austin said:
Serial number is inside the case. You really ought to give it back dude. It belongs to someone else. Bad, bad Karma.

No keep it. Someone who can spend $5k on a watch will certainly have already replaced it. Finders keepers, he should have bought a metal detector when he lost it.

mike3366

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iratepirate said:
No keep it. Someone who can spend $5k on a watch will certainly have already replaced it. Finders keepers, he should have bought a metal detector when he lost it.

I have a Rolex , it was a gift from my wife . And no it can not be replaced ! It is irreplaceable ! We are not rich but have made decisions over the years that afford us a comfortable life . If mine was lost I hope the person who finds it has enough morals to return it . JMHO

OP
OP
Gary Drayton

Gary Drayton

Dec 28, 2007
Fort Lauderdale Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the lifeguard that saw me find the watch (several years ago) the previous owner had recently bought the Rolex as a new work watch and was not at all bothered by losing it. In fact he told the lifeguard who spent 3 hours trying to fan the watch, that if he found the watch the lifeguard should enjoy it as he was going to buy another work watch when he returned home from vacation. Having found and returned a $5000.00 Tag Heuer watch, a $11.000.00 platinum and diamond ring, several gold class rings and lots of gold wedding rings, wallets with money and IDs, passports etc I do not have a problem with respecting the guys wishes by enjoying this watch. Maybe this was Karma for all the returns I have made thru the years.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
According to the lifeguard that saw me find the watch (several years ago) the previous owner had recently bought the Rolex as a new work watch and was not at all bothered by losing it. In fact he told the lifeguard who spent 3 hours trying to fan the watch, that if he found the watch the lifeguard should enjoy it as he was going to buy another work watch when he returned home from vacation. Having found and returned a $5000.00 Tag Heuer watch, a $11.000.00 platinum and diamond ring, several gold class rings and lots of gold wedding rings, wallets with money and IDs, passports etc I do not have a problem with respecting the guys wishes by enjoying this watch. Maybe this was Karma for all the returns I have made thru the years.

Thank GAWD I never post my Rolex finds here! You are a better man than me Gary, I would have just typed, "Bite me." :notworthy:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A spring bar must have failed because you're not going to take the watch off in the water, and the bracelet would lock twice so unlikely to come undone.

Pretty uncommon to have a good watch break free from your wrist, but it can happen and is why I would never where mine in the water.

OP
OP
Gary Drayton

Gary Drayton

Dec 28, 2007
Fort Lauderdale Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A spring bar must have failed because you're not going to take the watch off in the water, and the bracelet would lock twice so unlikely to come undone.

Pretty uncommon to have a good watch break free from your wrist, but it can happen and is why I would never where mine in the water.

I was told the watch snagged and came undone as the guy pulled his wet shirt over his head in the water.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told the watch snagged and came undone as the guy pulled his wet shirt over his head in the water.

Seems pretty unlikely unless the clasp only locks once. If my watch somehow had the clasp snagged open, it would still be locked, and would have to be snagged again from the complete opposite direction . It wouldn't surprise me if he did something dumb but went with the shirt story because it sounded better.

Pic 1 - Locked

Pic 2 - If snagged once. But it's still locked down and opens from the other direction. If yours is the same way it's hard to imagine it could come off. I guess if the first lock didn't really snap down then it could have came off his wrist before he noticed the main lock had opened. I can't imagine that would be too common on a good dive watch.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 400
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 425

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gary,
Love the watch but I still can't take my eyes off the ring in your avatar...absolutely love it. They pulled a nice little emerald ring off the Atocha site a week or so ago. These shipwreck rings have such an awesome look to them. I hope to find one some day.

Congrats on all your great finds.

NJ

Cristasphoto

Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mike3366 said:
I have a Rolex , it was a gift from my wife . And no it can not be replaced ! It is irreplaceable ! We are not rich but have made decisions over the years that afford us a comfortable life . If mine was lost I hope the person who finds it has enough morals to return it . JMHO

Some of make good decisions as well but due to bigotry, and unaffordable colleges etc etc we wont ever have the money for a 5,000 dollar watch. Morals? Lol I say KEEP IT. Its YOUR FIND, YOUR WATCH!!!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary,
Love the watch but I still can't take my eyes off the ring in your avatar...absolutely love it. They pulled a nice little emerald ring off the Atocha site a week or so ago. These shipwreck rings have such an awesome look to them. I hope to find one some day.

Congrats on all your great finds.

NJ

Ain't that the truth. The watch is a great find but does not compare to something that is so unique with the history it has. I'm also a member on watch forums and mostly use them to decide what I want to buy (or did want to buy) and they are good in that sense, but it's just not the same looking at pics posted simply because someone just wrote the check, and that can be 5k or 500k. I do like watches but there's a cap for me for money (that's an obvious one) but also for interest, and that's why I can accept a watch maybe being worth up to 20k, but after that it goes from foolish to absolutely insane. As much as I do like mine If desperate for cash they'd be out the door before the thought of selling finds even crossed my mind.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of make good decisions as well but due to bigotry, and unaffordable colleges etc etc we wont ever have the money for a 5,000 dollar watch. Morals? Lol I say KEEP IT. Its YOUR FIND, YOUR WATCH!!!!

You do know that watches can be much the same as any other 5k item that some people actually save for them and don't have spare bundles of cash sitting around the house. There's lots of people who would think to own a $1,500 metal detector is crazy, but I'm guessing you don't question them in he same way.

Cristasphoto

Jun 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
You do know that watches can be much the same as any other 5k item that some people actually save for them and don't have spare bundles of cash sitting around the house. There's lots of people who would think to own a $1,500 metal detector is crazy, but I'm guessing you don't question them in he same way.

I think its all silly. I STILL use my Ace 250. And unless your going to buy a higher end then don't judge me!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its all silly. I STILL use my Ace 250. And unless your going to buy a higher end then don't judge me!

huh. how am I judging you and buy a higher end what? You're either not making sense or not being very clear.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Denarius said:
Can you trace those Rolexes through serial numbers or something to find the owner?

If u find a rolex ur nuts for tryin to find the owner. They dnt deserve that if they lose s watch that is that expensive

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread