Upvote 16

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to teach you how to say "Bite Me" Gary. It would save you a lot of typing.

I have no regrets finding the other expensive watch and running up into the parking lot to chase the person down to give them the watch. Another 5 minutes and I would probably be wearing a $5000.00 Tag Hauer watch as the people were leaving the ultra high end beach side resort for the airport and a flight back to Europe. I added an extra $5.00 and took my family out for dinner at McDonalds with $20.00 reward lol I do however regret spending a Sunday morning a few years ago searching for a lost $11.000.00 platinum & diamond ring in the pouring rain , finding it and having the ungrateful owner snatch it out of my hand before slamming the door shut in my face. No thank you, no nothing, wow! I have returned 4 gold class rings without a reply or a thank you, a Grammy judges wallet complete with driving license, credit cards, IDs and a wad of cash to Canada without a reply or a thank you. When the lifeguard told me the story of this Rolex Submariner and how the guy said if you find it enjoy it he will have a replacement covered on hs credit card, I am respecting the guys wishes. I'm enjoying it ! I see the Duddley do right comments on this thread, I must have found and returned close to $20.000.00 worth of jewelry without a thank you. I also find and return many pieces of gold jewelry, cameras, cell phones while beach and water hunting every year but I do not feel the need to make a big deal of doing the right thing on the forums. When people ask me to try and find lost items on the beach I try my hardest to make them happy. One of my favorite find and returns was a couple of years ago on Miami Beach, a 24 K gold band hand made by a Cuban guys Grandfather from gold panned in the river Cauto in Cuba. This guy was crying like a baby after I found it and vowed never to go to the beach with it again, talk about a feel good story. With the previous owner of this Rolex saying the credit card purchase would be covered and if you find it enjoy it and because I have found and returned more jewelry than most beach and water hunters out there , I can sleep like a baby at night.

Attachments

• bitemeees.png
    bitemeees.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 406

Marko0916

May 8, 2012
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Excal.II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading this thread I'm convinced to not post any jewelry finds.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading this thread I'm convinced to not post any jewelry finds.

Think about what you're saying, that you are going to let the little voices have a say in what you do.

You never know the motives behind the post and I can tell you this hobby definitely has it's share of greedy and jealous people.... heck that's pretty much all of us, but it's to a much different degree. It's really funny why a Rolex watch seems to get this reaction more than almost anything else, and as stupid as it sounds had it been a IWC I question if it would have been the same. I say that because I think when someone reads a post and sees a find for the first time there's a part of their brain that's triggered to set their mood, and that plays a roll in what they write.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gary Drayton

Gary Drayton

Dec 28, 2007
Fort Lauderdale Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think about what you're saying, that you are going to let the little voices have a say in what you do.

You never know the motives behind the post and I can tell you this hobby definitely has it's share of greedy and jealous people.... heck that's pretty much all of us, but it's to a much different degree. It' really funny why a Rolex watch seems to get this reaction more than almost anything else, and as stupid as it sounds had it been a IWC I question if it would have been the same. I say that because I think when someone reads a post and sees a find for the first time there's a part of their brain that's triggered to set their mood, and that plays a roll in what they write.

Well said Iron Patch, it is safe to assume that I will never ever post any watch I am lucky enough to find again. I will stick to posting old Spanish treasure finds and modern run of the mill gold rings & chains. I received a few snippy comments after posting too many gold jewelry finds in November and decided to tone it down a little and just post the occasional unusual or really nice beach or water hunting find.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gary,

My 2 cents for what it's worth....probably not a heck of a lot.....I go by the motto losers weepers....finders keepers....it's the finders call.....in this case you and no one else to decide how you handle the find......try to track down the owner, keep the find for your efforts or sell it off for what you can get for it....

You don't have to answer to anyone else but your personal morals/ethics as to what to do with the find in question....enough said.

Take care my friend!

Regards + HH

Bill

kam50

Mar 7, 2009
Canton,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 Garrett Pro pointer
Minelab X-Terra 305 Garrett pro pointer(Fake one got ripped off!)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Gary Great find!! Enjoy it!! You earned it!!..HH

SilverPirate

Dec 23, 2012
Boerne Tx.
Detector(s) used
New Minelab E-Trac with Sunray probe, Garrett Ace 350, Teknetics Delta, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Enjoy it man, you deserved this one! HH

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides the fact that none of the things you have found would have been found without the detector that you spent YOUR income on. Finders keepers (most of the time) Whoever bought a metal detector thinking, " I can't wait to go out and find other peoples stuff so I can return it to them !! Oh BOY!!!" C'mon, PUUUULEEASE! Funny how people's self-righteous morality pops out when someone else finds something. (many times it's thinly veiled jealousy). I'd prolly do the same Gary...
Well said Iron Patch, it is safe to assume that I will never ever post any watch I am lucky enough to find again. I will stick to posting old Spanish treasure finds and modern run of the mill gold rings & chains. I received a few snippy comments after posting too many gold jewelry finds in November and decided to tone it down a little and just post the occasional unusual or really nice beach or water hunting find.

d3t3ctr0n

Apr 17, 2013
Texas U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn dude! I want a Rolex. This is probably a stupid question since this is supposed to be waterproof...did it still work?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn dude! I want a Rolex. This is probably a stupid question since this is supposed to be waterproof...did it still work?

It's a Rolex dive watch in near perfect condition ... of course it works! :)

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO 12" coil, DD 10" coil, 5.3 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides the fact that none of the things you have found would have been found without the detector that you spent YOUR income on. Finders keepers (most of the time) Whoever bought a metal detector thinking, " I can't wait to go out and find other peoples stuff so I can return it to them !! Oh BOY!!!" C'mon, PUUUULEEASE! Funny how people's self-righteous morality pops out when someone else finds something. (many times it's thinly veiled jealousy). I'd prolly do the same Gary...

Agreed. I am fairly new to the hobby but i just spent a LOT of $ ona machine that few people have locally. Any finds that I think warrant research for owner I may do it. Obviously if you see a sign with description etc then hopefully you'd look the person up. Otherwise.... have fun and enjoy YOUR stuff is my attitude. I have often found $ and asked people around if it was theirs. But if there is 200 people and you dont see some one looking around for dropped $.... LUNCHTIME!

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
20 bucks...uhg. Man thats a bummer, this ones karma paying you back. hh an gl. -Joe

Thats a bummer Don, I have found a fake stainless & gold ladies one also. The first thing I did was get this watch authenticated and appraised by my main jewelry guy. I found and returned a $5000.00 Tag Hauer and got a princely $20.00 reward. I paid my dues and I will enjoy this one until I find a gold one.
Cheers Gary

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice dive watch. Great find. I inherited an old Hauer watch. Main spring was broke though and could never find a new spring.

Im2stoked

Jan 23, 2013
Miami, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey, does anyone know if a jeweler is obligated to report a "FOUND" rolex. Ive been reading that they have serial numbers and can possibly be traced back to find their owner. I know gary you find enough jewelry to have your own jeweler but what about someone who doesn't and takes it to a neighborhood jeweler or pawnshop to have it checked out?

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
If they are a reputable jeweler of course. If they are not a reputable jeweler, they will probably just say its a good quality swiss fake, and offer $500 or so for it.

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Not sure how old that watch is, but checking the serial number wouldn't necessarily find you the owner, just the person who originally bought it. As often as I've seen Rolex's in pawn shops over the years, the watch could have changed hands a few times since it was first purchased.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions