50th BIG MAC Anniversary Coins Set

d3t3ctr0n

Apr 17, 2013
Texas U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK OK, no I didn't dig them up, but today is the day McDonald's is releasing the 50th Anniversary Big Mac Coin. There are 5 in the set. If you buy a Big Mac, they will give you a coin if you ask the Cashier. Here are the Coins being released today:

1968-1978
1978-1988
1988-1998
1998-2008
2008-2018

Look at it this way, in a way its a Treasure Hunt or Coin Hunt. Want a Coin, buy a Big Mac or in my case beg a friend for their Coin. I already got all 5 Coins. Only 6 Million are being distributed worldwide in 50 countries, so consider that's really no that many coins available. On eBay they are asking a fortune for just 1 Coin let alone the entire set. In any case, if you interested good hunting and good luck. They will have collectable value down the road that I am sure.

Upvote 4

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't prove it, but the 1998-2008 coin seems to be harder to find. I did a search for the 5 coins on eBay a few minutes ago and came up with these stats.

Currently on eBay:

1968-1978 coin: 100

1978-1988 coin: 117

1988-1998 coin: 69

1998-2008 coin: 33

2008-2018 coin: 107

Could just be an anomaly, but I would hang on to all of these coins for now. It's a common practice of many companies to short print one or more items to make it harder to complete the set. Topps baseball cards were notorious for doing that in the 1950's and 1960's. Just my take on it...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Umm, not for nuthin', but you guys are seriously excited about Big Mac coins? :dontknow: Whatever blows your skirt up I guess. :laughing7:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Terry.......so curiosity got me and I looked at eBay auctions going on right now and all I can say is "what's wrong with people" McDonald's is giving them away and people are fighting to win them at auction. Go figure.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Umm, not for nuthin', but you guys are seriously excited about Big Mac coins? Whatever blows your skirt up I guess.

The 1998-2008 coin is selling for up to $40 on eBay. Yup, making a $35.50 profit on a $4.50 purchase does excite me!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$35.00 isn't worth the hassle, and wouldn't pay for a half hour in an ink shop up here FBT. :occasion14:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well all you guys got me roped in....
Thinking I was onto something.... gonna score me some brass...
Sign on the door of MickeyDs says “limit one coin per customer per visit”.... really?
3417702F-2CE0-4F23-9615-D3FB26884DD5.jpeg

I got me three, that’s how I roll.

As a Charter Member, I can make 2 of these available at the right price.... minimum bid is $4.19

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ill buy em 35 might be nothing to some but thats alot to me with 2 kids 4 cars morgage and college tuition

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know if anyone has ever worked in a fast food restaurant, I use to do voice and data for company I worked for Mcd, Burger King, Wendys and I stopped eating in every one of them after being in their kitchens. It wasn't so much because they were so dirty, it was the amount of grease from the grill that was on everything, there were grease icicles every where, floors, counters equipment was covered in grease, I realized that was the grease that I was putting in my body.

I whole-heartedly agree with your assessment of some (but not all) fast food kitchens. In college, I was on the "french frying legion" at Burger King and absolutely hated Friday night, post-closing cleaning. Grease everywhere ... EVERYWHERE!

I'm certainly not going to pass judgement on the restaurants or their patrons. I simply opt to not eat there in general. I will admit that I have the occasional indiscretion with fast food; generally a Hardee's small hamburger, oatmeal for breakfast at McD's, or a salad from Wendy's. It's easier to fight with my weight if I don't give my body extra fat.

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y'all probably know this and no one asked for my opinion but here goes. For those of you who are getting the McD coins for collecting with the intent of selling later, remember that the window for profit may be fairly small. Things come and go. People's tastes change.

For example, my Dad collected California Raisin figurines, posters, etc. when Hardee's ran that promotion thinking that they would have value in the future. Sorry, Dad ... no cigar. When we had daughters, my Mom bought them Madame Alexander dolls. The girls could not possibly care less about playing with dolls, thence, about 50 of those "collectibles" new, in box, mint condition taking up space in my closet. Same thing with the Steinbach nutcrackers that my wife collected for a few years.

Enough of my ramblings. The point is that the collectibles (not real coins, silver, etc) iron is hot for only a short period of time.

Of course, every time I swing into McD's for a cup of coffee, I'll ask for one. May get one, maybe not, may be worth a fortune one day.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agrre bit we never know so for a small price it cant hurt remember 1970 you could by a hemi cuda convertible off the show room floor for around 5 grand or a chevelle 454 ls6 ect ect ect shelby mustang

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
i agrre bit we never know so for a small price it cant hurt remember 1970 you could by a hemi cuda convertible off the show room floor for around 5 grand or a chevelle 454 ls6 ect ect ect shelby mustang

That is when a car was a CAR.:laughing7:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never would have gotten a McCoin, if it wasn’t for all these knuckleheads here on Tnet.
Chances are I’ll have them till I croak, then they will get tossed in the trash.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enough of my ramblings. The point is that the collectibles (not real coins, silver, etc) iron is hot for only a short period of time.

You've convinced me. I took the money and ran. They could be worth squat in a week. I only paid $13.50 for the 3 Big Macs, so I did pretty good on the deal.

rrrr.png

Last edited:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid a buck for one by using my mcdonalds app on my phone." Buy any sandwich for a buck ( excludes signature sandwiches)"
i purchased a second sandwich at another mcdonalds a few min later and gave the sandwich to a pan handler and kept the coin.

So, Should i remove them from the wrappers and put them in a 2 x 2 or leave them be?

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are correct, indeed! While not in the class of a 'Cuda or SS, in 1969 I bought a 1968 Chevy short-bed step-side truck with 1250 miles on it for $1000.00 (outrageous money at the time). I've rebuilt the engine twice and had it painted by a high school body shop class once. Every now and then I get an offer that will triple my money. Sentimental old fool that I am will not let it go.

I never would have gotten a McCoin, if it wasn’t for all these knuckleheads here on Tnet.
Chances are I’ll have them till I croak, then they will get tossed in the trash.

If they are lucky, your kids can inherit them so they can remember how much the coins were going to be worth right before they toss them. Sorta' like a certain "priceless collection" of California Raisins.

You've convinced me. I took the money and ran. They could be worth squat in a week. I only paid $13.50 for the 3 Big Macs, so I did pretty good on the deal.

Good for you. If my math is right, that should be a 760% return on your investment.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, Should i remove them from the wrappers and put them in a 2 x 2 or leave them be?

If you plan on selling them, keep them in the original wrapper. If you don't want to sell them, it would be more fun to put them in a 2x2 holder. Hard to see one side of the coin when they're in the wrapper.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm gonna bury some 3 ft deep, so in a hundred years, some detectorist (using the newly-unveiled ML Excelsior 3000) can find it and say..."WTF is this?!?"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread