58 = 5!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
A week or two ago, my neighbor showed me a $5 gold piece her mother had; I was happy to see it and hold it in my hand. As an experiment, we put the piece on the ground and I waved the XLT over it. I got a pretty good signal, with a steady 58 showing on the screen. I know that ground conditions could be different, but it could be helpful information someday. Anyway, near the end of another empty morning (one Memorial), I was around the old silver farm house, seeing what I may have missed in earlier hunts. Right next to an old stone walkway, I got a 58, a signal that in the past I may have let go. Recalling the recent lesson with the gold piece, I dug this one; sure enough, it was a 5! :o :o :o Center, that is, with an Indian on front and Buffalo on the back. Yep, a Buff, with no date, but I might never have dug it if not for that test. So, a grand total of six cents at the silver farm today :'(. I'm doing an area that I don't expect to find much, but given the property history, I can't take the chance and overlook it. We'll get back to finding silver soon enough.

Attachments

• buff58 (2).jpg
    buff58 (2).jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 678
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU DON'T DIG 50'S!!!!? Really?! Lots of good stuff in the 50's!!! 8) And the 40's and the 30's and the 20's and the 10's...... :P :D

Super find, 1/2! Congrats!!
Nana ;)

I won't say anything about that theory either. ;)

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The VDI number not withstanding, gold and nickels are on the same area of discrimination. I'm not trying to start a brand war here, but with tone only machines with the manual discrimination knobs, there would have been no question about digging this signal in the first place.

OP
OP
halfdime

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
1235CE said:
Hmmm....Being an XLT user myself, I am wondering why that Buffalo came up in the high 50's and not around 20-25 which is where most all of my nickels fall.........anybody?

HH all!

Greg
I've been getting Buffs in this range all summer, for some reason, some even in the quarter range. Curious.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. A nickel should peg around 18 on the XLT. 58 is MINIEBALL! ;D

Buckleboy

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Whatever it reads...great nickel! I've been getting some weird vdi's on the M6 lately too; it don't matter cuz I dig NEARLY everything anyway.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice find ! and some strange numbers here lately also , i wonder if its the hard dry ground makeing this happen , congrats halfdime ;)

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just goes to show you never know..great find!

Nat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread