5900 di pro sl

Wayfarer

Dec 7, 2005
Western Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's: V3i, MXT, XL Pro
(In the past: White's: VX3, DFX, XLT, 6000 Di Pro SL, Coinmaster 2DB --- Minelab CTX 3030, Equinox 800)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to say from about 1989 to 1993-94 or so. They are excellent detectors. The XL Pro finally discontinued in 2005 (and still widely revered by many) was only a slimmed down 5900 di pro sl with auto ground balance. It functioned almost identically...which is to say: great. Many "experts" would even prefer the manual ground balance over the later auto balance since it gives you more direct control. Hang into that 5900. It is one of the very best detectors of all time and is starting to become a collectable classic.

Download a copy of the manual here: http://media.whiteselectronics.com/...s/CM 5900 Di Pro SL CB Instruction Manual.pdf

Don't run too much discrimination, no more than halfway, or else you will start giving up too much depth. Only other tip is that you will need a moderately fast sweep speed to get the best performance out of it. Once you take it out and start using it you'll see what I mean. If you try to sweep over a known target very slowly, the target response will get weak and break up. Speed the swing back up a little and it comes back. Other than that, enjoy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
asphaltcowboy23

asphaltcowboy23

Jun 4, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt, Whites 6000 di pro sl, Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. I called Whites they couldn't give me the exact age,they said if I send it in they could give memore info on it.

The Descriminator

Jul 12, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites 5900Di Pro, Fisher Cz6a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own one. I bought mine new around 99, 2000. It was my first Whites machine. I now own the mothership Whites (Spectra V3i) and I have to tell you the 5900 is still hard to beat. There's not much you need to know other that just getting time on the unit. It can frustrate you to no end but can be your best friend too. I had not used it for almost ten years and picked it back up about a year ago. It just seemed at time that I wasn't finding anything when my buddies were loading the pockets with newer units, but after spending a couple months with it again I started to get very aquainted with it. Once I stardted getting to know the machine again I started crushing the competition. I was very reluctant to put it down but I decided to buy the V3i. I've been tempted to revert back to the 5900 and I probably will at some point just to try it out again. I know one thing I will never get rid of it. This one is in the family to stay. I have pulled many coin from 10+ inches. Good luck!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions