Help Newbie, I live in South Carolina and we have Red Clay and lots of Mica.

Mojo618

Aug 15, 2012
Anderson County, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 DD search coil, Garrett pin pointer, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help detecting in Red clay.... I just bought a White's Coinmaster metal Detector and ive used it twice and already want to return it! The red clay and mica deposits are causeing flase targets and it's fustrating! Help tips, tricks, ( Your Two Cents is needed and wanted!) is there a better metal detector around $200 that is made to detect in red clay or will at least do a better job? Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be able to find something used in that price range. What will help you most are two things a DD coil, they are better in mineralized ground. Also(this one may be harder for price range) a machine that ground balances.

The least expensive option is to get the 4x6 Mini DD for the Coinmaster it will help your soil issue. You will lose a little depth in normal soil conditions, but you don't have that anyway, and it is a smaller coil so you won't cover as much ground as fast but you should be able to effectively use your current machine.

Oh yeah, Welcome to Treasure Net:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Mojo618

Mojo618

Aug 15, 2012
Anderson County, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 DD search coil, Garrett pin pointer, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ Hosensack: Thank you so much for the reply and the great info. I've done some research on it but couldnt find a def answer. Thank you again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread