6/5/2011 ohio field hunt,monster celt find!!

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
The plan for todays hunt was for choo and I to go kayaking/creekin since all of our spots were freshly plowed and needed rain.Mother nature changed our plans last nite with 3 to 4 inches of rain.The creeks were rippin this morning so we decided to hit one of choos honey holes and the hunt got off to a killer start within the first 30 minutes.The tapered celt is 7 and half inches long and in incredible condition(the pics do it no justice),it is highly polished on the whole piece except for the bit which leads me to believe it was never used,there was about 3 inches of one face exposed when I walked up on it I had the feeling I had a hardstone piece but had no idea until I flipped it out of the dirt,and to add icing to the cake, choo found a sweet 3 inch+ point 20 feet away from where I found the celt.I found 4 good points,the intrusive mound point is a beauty,2 hafted scrapers and a few endscrapers and blades,not to mention 20 brokes.It was a killer hunt and choo found some killer flint as well(thx bro for taking me to that spot today!!).good luck hunting everyone.
IMAGE_396.jpg
IMAGE_397.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 561.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 563.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 564.jpg
IMAGE_398.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 566.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 567.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 568.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 573.jpg

Upvote 0

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:Contratulations on the great find, and the Banner!!

and , yeah, I was looking for that too!

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Hey creek astronaut,

I am also coming out of the fog to give you a most well deserved congrats. That is a real find! Excellento, my friend!!!

I'm late to vote "banner", but you would'a got my vote, fer sure! :headbang: :notworthy: :headbang: :notworthy:

All the luck in future hunts as well.

bw

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
SRV said:
Congrats on making the Banner Greg. I can't believe they didn't use one of the cleaned up pictures though. lol

You need to take that to the next ASO show. It will definitely win Best Stone Tool.
thx steve,i may have chose a different pic also.but its all good.I will definately be at the aso show with that piece in november,I think thats the next one??

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
Au-seeker said:
Amazing hard stone! Congrats on the banner, well deserved! That's a real beauty.

You know, I'm only a few counties away if you need someone to walk with :icon_thumright:

Shane
Thx Shane.Chuck was talking about bringin you up to go creekin with us,we will definately go do some huntn send me a pm anytime,I go huntn just about every weekend :thumbsup:

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
bravowhiskey said:
Hey creek astronaut,

I am also coming out of the fog to give you a most well deserved congrats. That is a real find! Excellento, my friend!!!

I'm late to vote "banner", but you would'a got my vote, fer sure! :headbang: :notworthy: :headbang: :notworthy:

All the luck in future hunts as well.

bw
holy sheep chit!!!how the heck have you been doin bw??did you go on a year long desert dig for artifacts??Thx alot my friend for the props!!shoot me a pm sometime and tell me what the heck you have been up too???It was Great hearing from you, if you decide to go back out in the desert.lol :thumbsup:

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ted Mac

Sep 11, 2006
Sylvania, OH
Detector(s) used
Compass/Coinscanner Pro, Teknetics Mk 1
So since I know nothing about this type of thing. I assume from the comments that is an axe head. But what time period is it from. What tribe or people lived in your area Is there anyway to tell?

Congrats on the find.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ted Mac said:
So since I know nothing about this type of thing. I assume from the comments that is an axe head. But what time period is it from. What tribe or people lived in your area Is there anyway to tell?

Congrats on the find.

ditto

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
thx
Ted Mac said:

Congrats on the find.
thx Ted Mac& NJ.It is from the hopewell culture/peoples which is in the middle woodland time period about 2,000- 1,500 years ago. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread