6 cents a button and unknown token in farmers feild

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Today was so windy but gave it 4 hours and still had fun. I got a 2 cent peice and 4 indians and a neat button, also I think some early Boy scout pins of some kind. My last target was the token I thought was a large cent but is way too thin. I can make out york on the back and can see a profile on the front, any help on the token would be great.
Marty

Attachments

• IMG_1334 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1334 (Medium).JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 659
  • IMG_1335 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1335 (Medium).JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_1338 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1338 (Medium).JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 656
  • IMG_1339 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1339 (Medium).JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_1342 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1342 (Medium).JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_1340 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1340 (Medium).JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 657
Upvote 0

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on finds, sorry not much help on id'ing token...still learning myself on things...good luck and keep em coming..HH..gregg

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey u found my key for my roller skates... nice finds still waiting to find my 1st IH..

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Marty,

I can read "NEW YORK" on the token. My guess is it may be a New York Hard Times Token. These were issued by merchants in order to stimulate business during the recession of the 1830's. (Kind of like what I do for a living. I send out email blasts for restaurants to try to stimulate their customers to come in more regularly.)

If you would like more info on these tokens there are some great photos here: http://www.hardtimestokens.com/SearchbyMerchantandTheme.html

It may also be a political token.

I hope this helps

Great Finds!!!!!'
Neil

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
If you hit the copper New York token with a butane torch, the thick coating will vaporize in less than 10 seconds, but the pitting that is there will all be visible. Your choice. :'(

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
congrats on the token and coinage. Hope you find out what the token was. Nothing more frustrating than finding a cool item and not figuring out what exactly it is. Not findiing it would be more frustrating but you get my point.

HH

Funkman

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of finds Marty, not sure about the token, I know my NY Hard times token is basically as thick as a Large Cent, in fact when I found mine I thought it was a NJ copper, since it had a plow on it. PBK or some others have the knowledge to answer you I believe. Without the token book, I cannot venture a guess with what little is showing.

Don

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Awesome finds...did you look for the "L" on the 1864 I.H.?

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
Very nice field finds. The fertilizer in the fields sure do a number on coins. Mine are always corroded like that too. Although I havn't found any 2 cent coins yet, congrats.
JDD

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
If you're only gonna find 6 cents, that's the way to do it! Good luck figuring out that token!

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Neil in West Jersey said:
Marty,

I can read "NEW YORK" on the token. My guess is it may be a New York Hard Times Token. These were issued by merchants in order to stimulate business during the recession of the 1830's. (Kind of like what I do for a living. I send out email blasts for restaurants to try to stimulate their customers to come in more regularly.)

If you would like more info on these tokens there are some great photos here: http://www.hardtimestokens.com/SearchbyMerchantandTheme.html

It may also be a political token.

I hope this helps
Thanks Neil, I like the link there is alot of intersting stuff there.
Great Finds!!!!!'
Neil

OP
OP
NJ Marty

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tykit said:
If you hit the copper New York token with a butane torch, the thick coating will vaporize in less than 10 seconds, but the pitting that is there will all be visible. Your choice. :'(
quote]
I think the token is too far gone for any tries at getting anything else off it. But I will keep the torch tecnique in mind. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread