6" coil

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to get out detecting with the EQ 800 and the new 6" coil for about 8 hours in a super iron infested area. This was an old mining town that burned down in the late 1800s so there is iron junk of all shapes and sizes everywhere , its a place I never would have even thought detecting years ago plus there is brush and bushes everywhere so a perfect place to try out the small coil. First the weight and balance with this little guy is just awesome a real pleasure to use (not that the 11" really bothered me). I am really amazed how good the separation is with this.

I used 2 totally different set ups , starting with park 1 , sens 22-24, iron bias 4 , gb 0 , 5 tones and everything notched out below 18 . I couldnt believe how stable this was in the iron , there was bearly a sound it just went over the iron like nothing was there, then all of a sudden a good signal would pop out and sure enough it was almost always non ferrous, this thing is a real scalpel in this trash. I also noticed the sensitivity can be up higher on this coil without the chatter and I think the recovery speed can be lowered a bit which should help with ID. I dont really use park 1 much in this trashy stuff but now I am re thinking that . I probably missed some stuff to with the high iron bias and the notching out below 18 but it is a real pleasure to work with in this environment.

Next to my usual setting I have been mostly using which is field 2 sens 22-24 (higher than usual in this trash) iron bias 0-2 , gb 0, 5 tones, factory settings other than that. I didnt notice to much difference in iron falsing and such but after 100 hours with the 11" coil my rule in there super trash sites is pretty much if the signal is at all jumpy I dont dig it . With this coil it was much easier to lock on to a good stable signal with out picking up all the extra trash. The one thing I did dig , maybe my favorite of this trip was a large 12" blade broad ax head, it was coming in at 20-22 I figured it was iron because of the jumpy signal but to tempting not to dig and I am glad I did it was only about 4" deep, its also the first time I really was happy that the EQ does not overload like other detectors because I would not have bothered with it if it had.

Overall this is a great little coil , its definitely site specific and of course does not have the coverage like the 11" but it is a real pleasure to use and i am looki8ng foreword to spending alot more time with it. I cant wait to hear what other have to say on it especially Vferrari , he is the reason I really dont post much on the Equinox because he covers it all and is much better at articulating and typing than me. I dont think I have really disagreed with any of his observations on the Nox . It is a great machine and with the 6" coil it really adds a whole new dimension to hunting trashy and bushy locations. Here is a couple pictures of some of the finds....

Attachments

• P7231408.JPG
    P7231408.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 76
  • P7231410.JPG
    P7231410.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 72

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congrats. Looks like the 6" will be a Beast in iron.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pic of the ax blade?

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info on the 6” coil. Congrats on the finds.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still on order, but really am looking forward to it, three places I plan on going back to come late autumn, thanks for your thoughts on it Goldstar.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great review and great finds. I still have not had a chance to test the 6" coil outside of my yard and test garden but am liking what I am seeing so far.

...post away BTW. That only makes this forum better

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread