6 hours in my yard with Ace 150

mlaw5

Apr 13, 2012
Rochester NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, New to detecting here....have always wanted to pick up the hobby. Due to budget constraints (wife) I went with the Garrett ace 150 till I find gold to buy a better one (hee hee). I am actually happy with the 150, learning how to pinpoint is tricky however possible. I have purchased a cheap handheld detector from harbor freight tools for 15 bucks...really helps out after I dig the plug. Would like to get a ace 250 with pinpointing next. My son and I spent almost six hours in our yard and vegetable garden and found lots of junk and 3 objects that make me very happy! The coin is an 1846 large cent (pretty beat up) . Any ideas on how to clean the skeleton key? I used peroxide on the key plate, however the key seems like it will need more attention. Thanks for looking! Just wanted to share my story so far.

Attachments

• 150.jpg
    150.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 91
Upvote 2

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Welcome... And you are off to a good start with the finds. A large cent on your first hunt is really something :thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

mlaw5

Apr 13, 2012
Rochester NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I am hooked. Also very curious why I did not find wheaties or any silver with a find this old. Will keep looking! Found lots of clad and approx 50 rusty nails.

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great finds! After you save up for an ACE 250, save for a Garrett pro pointer. I won't leave home without it!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, took me 10 years to find my first and so far only LC, HH

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow sick start! I have yet to find my first LC! Congrats.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to top that find for awhile i think ...gratz

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to t-net, nice finds more time with the 150 you will start to find more , from personal experance it works good in jewlry mode an full sen setting after a good rain but dig every thing i had a few coins ring in as iron good luck and happy huntinn

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs! Congrats on a LC first time out. :thumbsup: Any LC is good, beat up or not. Love the key and key plate. WTG

I started with an Ace 250 and remember struggling with pinpointing at first. It will get better soon, keep practicing.

HH
p.s. Welcome to the forum. :hello:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a dug copper, it is probably better than average. Many perhaps as many as half are barely recognizable.
Took me 4 years to get a skeleton key, and I really like the plate you got to go with yours.

The key looks to be iron, and rusty. Electrolysis will clean it up.

OP
OP
M

mlaw5

Apr 13, 2012
Rochester NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info....will try the process and display the results. I spent alot of time on the plate, it was so cruddy I never saw the detail until I cleaned it. I have also not cleaned the Large Cent. I have been a coin collector for a long time....not sure what to do.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send your story to Garrett, that's an awesome find for their entry level machine in your own yard!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well come and good start

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me detecting is gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread