dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
got out today, tuesday, to an old stagecoach stop, and had a very pleasant afternoon of it.
once again the coppers were flying out of the ground, but they were a little older than the ones from a different site yesterday.
dates and types are:

George II halfpenny 1733?
Draped Bust cent 1797
Draped Bust cent 1798
Draped Bust cent 1800/79
Draped Bust cent 1800/79
Matron Head cent 1818

they're a little rough, but we like them that way.

happy hunting,

dwayne

Attachments

• Scanned Image 101450000_2.jpg
    Scanned Image 101450000_2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 817
  • Scanned Image 101450001_2.jpg
    Scanned Image 101450001_2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 812
Upvote 0

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
You've been tearing it recently! I'd take just one copper now.

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow....Those draped busts are friggin sweet!

OP
OP
dwayne sueno

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dwayne sueno said:
Don in SJ said:

Don,

Thank you for the ID.
You are spot on, as always.
I'm still working on the others.
I've narrowed the 1797 down to a few varieties, but they're all kinda rare, so I'm sure I must be wrong.

Looks like your 1797 matches the Sheldon 139, I compared the date spacing and what might be a match for another die crack to the left of the date, and other details seem to match also. http://www.largecents.net/collection/coinpics/s139.jpg

Don

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250
I voted Banner. Awesome finds.
Without revealing your spot, how did you determine it was a stagecoach stop? Is it still along a travel route?

Imnengr

Oct 31, 2009
Chicago Area
Detector(s) used
E-trac, X-terra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coppers! By the way, what does an "old stagecoach stop" look like in modern day? I'd like to find me one!

OP
OP
dwayne sueno

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Don in SJ said:
dwayne sueno said:
Don in SJ said:

Don,

Thank you for the ID.
You are spot on, as always.
I'm still working on the others.
I've narrowed the 1797 down to a few varieties, but they're all kinda rare, so I'm sure I must be wrong.

Looks like your 1797 matches the Sheldon 139, I compared the date spacing and what might be a match for another die crack to the left of the date, and other details seem to match also. http://www.largecents.net/collection/coinpics/s139.jpg

Don

Don,

Thank you again. Your'e seeing these better than I am, even though I'm holding the coin in my hand. We're all very lucky to have you as a resource. :notworthy:

Sir Digs-A-Lot said:
I voted Banner. Awesome finds.
Without revealing your spot, how did you determine it was a stagecoach stop? Is it still along a travel route?

Imnengr said:
Awesome coppers! By the way, what does an "old stagecoach stop" look like in modern day? I'd like to find me one!

I was told by the owner that the site was a stagecoach site.
If you don't have firsthand information or can't find old maps of your area, look for roads that likely would be the oldest in your area, and then look for medium-to-large size houses (or ruins) that face the road, especially ones where old roads intersect or where the roads intersect with bodies of water. In my area here in NY, the old post roads and byways weave on and off the modern ones, and it's pretty easy to guess where the old concentrations of activity might have been, even without looking at a map.
In this case, I was just lucky, as I had done zero research on the area, and just "stumbled" onto it via a conversation with the owner who had seen me detecting an adjacent property.
Hope this helps.

dwayne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread