6 Ounce Payday 70 minus

Sam Burgin

May 10, 2008
I wish the gold you see was mine, but it belongs to a friend. All of this gold was recovered as -70 mesh or smaller, fine gold by any definition. The gold was taken from a thermal vent with a silicified host rock of some type with heavy mineralized quartz veins mixed with cassiterite (tin ore). The gold was smelted, then poured into a bucket of swirling water to produce the coronets shown. There are thousands of tiny gold spheres that will be classified out and sold at premium retail. Absolutely beautiful stuff.

The 6 ounces shown has some silver and some oxidation that has not been fully cleaned off. The dark material is slag from the smelt.

If you have an interest in accessing and working the raw ore, send me a p.m. I can arrange an all-you-can-eat session at this MSHA compliant mine.

Sam

0125101723.jpg

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok i'll bite-please explain,what are you elluding too?what state?
Sam Burgin said:
I wish the gold you see was mine, but it belongs to a friend. All of this gold was recovered as -70 mesh or smaller, fine gold by any definition. The gold was taken from a thermal vent with a silicified host rock of some type with heavy mineralized quartz veins mixed with cassiterite (tin ore). The gold was smelted, then poured into a bucket of swirling water to produce the coronets shown. There are thousands of tiny gold spheres that will be classified out and sold at premium retail. Absolutely beautiful stuff.

The 6 ounces shown has some silver and some oxidation that has not been fully cleaned off. The dark material is slag from the smelt.

If you have an interest in accessing and working the raw ore, send me a p.m. I can arrange an all-you-can-eat session at this MSHA compliant mine.

Sam

???

OP
OP
S

Sam Burgin

May 10, 2008
It was not my intent to get anyone to bite. I was trying to not violate forum etiquette by seeming to be a commercial venture.

The mine is located in Stanly County, North Carolina, smack in the middle of the Carolina slate belt.

The owner of the mine will allow access to vein stock, not the mine, and will provide small jaw crushers, roller crushers, fine grinders, mill grinders, and concentrating tables for use by the prospector, all for a reasonable fee. With large groups, he will fire up the commercial equipment, fine crushers feeding into cascading Diester tables.

This is one of the few, if not the only, operating MSHA compliant gold mines on the east coast. This is a great opportunity to learn something about our hobby. Again, if you need further details send me a p.m.

Attachments

• DRY SPEC008.jpg
    DRY SPEC008.jpg
    648.3 KB · Views: 1,552

kilnmaint

Apr 3, 2009
Homewood, Al
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have my MSHA papers , but the 8 hr drive makes it a bit too much candy for the nickle!!

OP
OP
S

Sam Burgin

May 10, 2008
It is indeed a pretty good haul from Ohio, but I do remember seeing a big GPAA group from Ohio there this spring, they did pretty well. I remember groups from Pennsylvania and Indiana as well.

I think it was the Ohio crowd that came down for three days, the campground was full.

I'll try to find out where the Ohio group was from. I'm thinking Columbus, but I'll check.

Sam

Attachments

• DRY SPEC005.jpg
    DRY SPEC005.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 1,513

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This looks nice - and even better now that its not making me cross-eyed!!!

Hope you don't mind.

B

Attachments

• DRY SPEC005.jpg
    DRY SPEC005.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,435
OP
OP
S

Sam Burgin

May 10, 2008
I've had some inquiries about the gold in the original post, so I'll try to explain them in no particular order.

The gold shown was indeed smelted, but when the smelt was poured and the noble metals stratified by specific gravity, the Dore had about a pound of fairly pure gold removed. Yellow, just like we've all seen. What's left in the Dore are the other noble metals and some gold. This particular ore had a fairly high Ag content, thus the silver tone. Maybe 70% of the remaining dore is gold.

Why the coronets? No amount of smelting, melting, or annealing, will separate the remaining noble metals. They must be separated chemically, so the rest of the pour is made into coronets so the chemicals can more readily react with the metals to affect that separation.

And thanks for the re size Mrs. O, much easier on the eyes.

Below is some of the -70 before smelting.

Sam

Attachments

• micro5.jpg
    micro5.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 1,414

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-70 is very small,a lot of trouble to separate .

OP
OP
S

Sam Burgin

May 10, 2008
strickman said:

Not a big isue if smelting is the final step. If you make the gold the heaviest thing in the pan, by classification, it is very easy to pan.

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
Sam Burgin said:
strickman said:

Not a big isue if smelting is the final step. If you make the gold the heaviest thing in the pan, by classification, it is very easy to pan.

You forgot to mention that micro fine gold can be lighter than other items that can end up in the pan of micro screened pan.

But nice rocks :icon_thumright:

So, can anyone tell me if lowes or home depot sells screens, and what sizes are there? Or do you just buy it online.
One more question: is it better to heat and fracture concentrate sands before or after using vinegar and salt to clean iron oxides from them?

Yes it's true, some micro gold appears to be like rust dust.. but's it's gold.

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
I have bought 2 rolls of screen at Home Depot. I got a roll of 1/2" and a roll of 1/4" mesh. That's as small as they go before you go to window screen. As a side note, the window screen I have seen at the home stores is typically a plasticy (is that word?) mesh and isn't all that durable. If you go to a place where they sell windows and glass cut to size they should have some much nicer heavier window screens. We are slowly replacing out old aluminum windows with vinyl. I stole one of the old screens for a small mesh classifier :icon_sunny:

-Lance

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
Darshevo said:
I have bought 2 rolls of screen at Home Depot. I got a roll of 1/2" and a roll of 1/4" mesh. That's as small as they go before you go to window screen. As a side note, the window screen I have seen at the home stores is typically a plasticy (is that word?) mesh and isn't all that durable. If you go to a place where they sell windows and glass cut to size they should have some much nicer heavier window screens. We are slowly replacing out old aluminum windows with vinyl. I stole one of the old screens for a small mesh classifier :icon_sunny:

-Lance

Nice Job :icon_thumright: Ever since I start prospecting, I can't walk through the carpet section without thinking about fine gold sluicing, or this or that can be used for this or that whatever prospecting method.. It's so fun. Those free scores are always the best.

Yeah, thos typical window screens are weak and will warp and tear with too much use. Looks like for the fine stuff I will just have to hit up ebay or online company.

Right now, in the area that I prospect, I've heard as much as 50% of the gold you can see is fine micro gold that you can't.. If this is true, that's a substantial ammount I've been missing :)

Cheers :headbang:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
McNichols manufacturers wire mesh as well as expanded metal in a variety of sizes, google the name, they also make/sell sieves. There are other companies who sell sieves, Keene does.

63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread