6" updates

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well here we go again ....
This is a attempt to stop plugging the punch plate ..iv tried to straighten out that low pressure area and it didn't work .. It actually made quite a mess had water spraying all over the place coming out of the box .. I used 2x12 cut down to shape so it would be straight into the main box . Ran in my creek for 30 mins and the pluging Area just moved narrower plus I had water spraying every where .... I think because of the flat tops of the 2x12 inside the crashbox ..
Any how this is where I desided to go next...
And would like your thoughts weather you agree or not .. Just looking for input pros on cons ...
Also im my plan is to use woven befor and after the punch plate with rubber matt underneath it ....

Attachments

• image-2554200894.jpg
    image-2554200894.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 115
  • image-1144630926.jpg
    image-1144630926.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 117
  • image-4238340819.jpg
    image-4238340819.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 128
  • image-2301908652.jpg
    image-2301908652.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 126
  • image-2739164451.jpg
    image-2739164451.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 127
  • image-2982646207.jpg
    image-2982646207.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 126
  • image-1403093419.jpg
    image-1403093419.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 113

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi G1, Sounds like the required flow to the side sluices is causing the low pressure (suction effect) on the punchplate which results in material clogging the punchplate if I'm interpreting this right. I would slide the punchplate back 3-4 inches and install grizzly bars separated at 1/2". This will allow much more waterflow into the lower area and the larger material will slide over this quick enough not to get stopped. You will draw much more minus 1/2 material to the outer sluices also for processing. If you make the area adjustable by sliding the punchplate either over or under the grizzly bars you can tune it for best performance. I have had much better classification and flow results using a short grizzly than I have punchplate. Some woven wire on the lower portion of the side dams would also help equalize some of the pressure from the main sluice to the side sluice, but again I would make it adjustable for testing.

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi G1, Sounds like the required flow to the side sluices is causing the low pressure (suction effect) on the punchplate which results in material clogging the punchplate if I'm interpreting this right. I would slide the punchplate back 3-4 inches and install grizzly bars separated at 1/2". This will allow much more waterflow into the lower area and the larger material will slide over this quick enough not to get stopped. You will draw much more minus 1/2 material to the outer sluices also for processing. If you make the area adjustable by sliding the punchplate either over or under the grizzly bars you can tune it for best performance. I have had much better classification and flow results using a short grizzly than I have punchplate. Some woven wire on the lower portion of the side dams would also help equalize some of the pressure from the main sluice to the side sluice, but again I would make it adjustable for testing.
lucky for me I have a creek on my property pretty good sized . Enough to test no gold in it but it lets me see how material is moving thru it...
Here's what she's doing .. This is about 30 minutes run time . I cut some wood and made a piece to make it square around the box .. It made a mess but anyhow I think the problem. Stems from it being a crash box and blasting down onto the punch plate .. I'm gona run woven where's there's nothing in the early pictures .. And 2 ft down the main sluice ...

Attachments

• image-2417739519.jpg
    image-2417739519.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 129

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pictures look to me like the crashbox sits about 18" or so upstream of the punchplate. Am I seeing this right? Is the flow not fairly smooth at the point it reaches the classifier?
The clogging certainly looks like a low pressure effect which would keep getting bigger in area as time increases until no flow to the side sluices. You could try just monitoring water flow with no material first. See what level of water is in the side sluices vs the main sluice and open the area in the punchplate to get equilibrium. A small piece of plastic over several holes can be used to see if the holes in the punchplate have too much suction effect.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
not that this is the same equipment but i had a friend that had a honcoop highbaker and it had a similar problem of the punch loading up with gravel. i told him to give the punch plate a slight tilt towards the tailings end of the sluice and it worked. but on yours it looks like your starving the sluices like was just answered from above!

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The pictures look to me like the crashbox sits about 18" or so upstream of the punchplate. Am I seeing this right? Is the flow not fairly smooth at the point it reaches the classifier? The clogging certainly looks like a low pressure effect which would keep getting bigger in area as time increases until no flow to the side sluices. You could try just monitoring water flow with no material first. See what level of water is in the side sluices vs the main sluice and open the area in the punchplate to get equilibrium. A small piece of plastic over several holes can be used to see if the holes in the punchplate have too much suction effect.
it does now ! The square end use of the punch plate use to set inside the crash box .. I just changed it ,what your looking at now is the update I'm doing Here's a old picture before ...

Attachments

• image-1203084051.jpg
    image-1203084051.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 119

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Mod! I like the idea of having some area for stratification before classification, it's one of my key beliefs, stratify-classify and repeat if possible. I think your going to need to fix the water flow problem to the side sluices first since the clogging is probably just the result of not enough flow. I don't think you will be disappointed trying some short grizzly.

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good Mod! I like the idea of having some area for stratification before classification, it's one of my key beliefs, stratify-classify and repeat if possible. I think your going to need to fix the water flow problem to the side sluices first since the clogging is probably just the result of not enough flow. I don't think you will be disappointed trying some short grizzly.
iv never had a flow problem to the sides just in general but I'm working on a jet something simlar to a gold diver.. I have a old o2 bottle that's no good so I'm gona use the top of it for a housing ..just some cutting and welding...

Attachments

• image-2526002827.jpg
    image-2526002827.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 119
  • image-3424829583.jpg
    image-3424829583.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 111
  • image-1602484114.jpg
    image-1602484114.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 117

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
The last time you presented this problem I saw something that I thought was just too simple to mention but I still see it so here it is. There is an area in the center of your punch plate that has a rust stain. The material isn't cleaning that area so either the material is falling out of the crash box to the sides or it is being forced to the sides due to water flow. If I remember correctly in your previous post there was a picture of this area in operation. I noticed the flap was turned up at the corners due to pressure. The extra space between the base and the flap could reduce the pressure enough to slow the material down and drop it into the pp. the flap turning up at the corners (sides) and the sticking material being in the same area could be just a coincidence. I may be way off but it would be simple and cheep to try as a fix.

OP
OP
G1sammons

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The last time you presented this problem I saw something that I thought was just too simple to mention but I still see it so here it is. There is an area in the center of your punch plate that has a rust stain. The material isn't cleaning that area so either the material is falling out of the crash box to the sides or it is being forced to the sides due to water flow. If I remember correctly in your previous post there was a picture of this area in operation. I noticed the flap was turned up at the corners due to pressure. The extra space between the base and the flap could reduce the pressure enough to slow the material down and drop it into the pp. the flap turning up at the corners (sides) and the sticking material being in the same area could be just a coincidence. I may be way off but it would be simple and cheep to try as a fix.
the way a crash box is made the water and material Comes into the box into the center and this is what forces it to the sides , there's no way to change that without cutting the crash box up...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread