60 Minutes Benghazi "Witness" Wasnt There During the Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
60 Minutes Benghazi "Witness" Wasn't There During the Attack

This reads like the purported victims of the Affordable Health Care Act paraded by Sean Hannity on Faux News.

ā€˜60 Minutesā€™ broadcast helps propel new round of back-and-forth on Benghazi
By Karen DeYoung, Published: October 31

In an explosive reporton CBSā€™s ā€œ60 Minutesā€ on Sunday, the British supervisor of local security guards protecting the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, on the night of Sept. 11, 2012, provided a harrowing account of the extremist attack that killed four Americans.

The man whom CBS called Morgan Jones, a pseudonym, described racing to the Benghazi compound while the attack was underway, scaling a 12-foot wall and downing an extremist with the butt end of a rifle as he tried in vain to rescue the besieged Americans.

The British security contractorā€™s account of the attack sparks renewed GOP criticism of the administration.

The ā€œ60 Minutesā€ broadcast, in which Jones also recounted his clandestine visit that night to a Benghazi hospital to view the body of slain U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, helped propel a new round of partisan conflict this week over the attack.

Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.) and other Republican lawmakers referred to it repeatedly during a Wednesday news conference. Graham said he would block confirmation of all of President Obamaā€™s nominees, including Jeh Johnson as homeland security secretary and Janet L. Yellen as head of the Federal Reserve, until the administration allowed government witnesses to the attack to appear before Congress.

But in a written account that Jones, whose real name was confirmed as Dylan Davies by several officials who worked with him in Benghazi, provided to his employer three days after the attack, he told a different story of his experiences that night. ...

?60 Minutes? broadcast helps propel new round of back-and-forth on Benghazi - The Washington Post

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Old Bookaroo!! ""WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?""!! Great Attitude!! Think about it!! Presidential Aspirations!! Really Warm and Fuzzy Feeling!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really,how about the big picture here,i cant believe you want to argue circumstanial crap!4 americans were killed ,and those in (charge ) are responsible.and now a coverup, and you defend this ,unreal man ,unreal.

njal

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
407944882.jpg

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
njal:

Surely you know one of the men killed at Benghazi was part of the detail sent after the attack started?

Sec. Gates commented on the folly of sending an aircraft into an unknown situation. He stated those who think more help could have been sent have a "cartoonish" vision of the US Military.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Secretary Gates?? This guy??
Former US Secretary of Defense Robert Gates to lead Boy Scouts!!
They say many reach their highest level of incompetency. I think Gates is about as high as he should have ever gotten. I can't sleep now knowing that our military may not fly into a situation unless they know exactly what the outcome will be and it hadn't better involve any risk. Nobody knew how long the battle at Benghazi was going to last. What if they were STILL fighting? At this point in time I guess it doesn't matter.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we had highly trained military personnel chomping at the bit to go help but they were held back. Hard telling if we will ever know the entire truth but, if ol' Hillary didn't know what was going on or Rice or o-bama it just proves the incompetency of the whole brew. They SHOULD have known if they were the least bit competent. At that level, ignorance is ignorance.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
njal:

Surely you know one of the men killed at Benghazi was part of the detail sent after the attack started?

Sec. Gates commented on the folly of sending an aircraft into an unknown situation. He stated those who think more help could have been sent have a "cartoonish" vision of the US Military.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo
cartoonish,hmmm...folly lies with having inept leaders,not sure what cartoons you are refering to, but the fact is ,there is a u.s airforce base in southern italy ,let alone the rapid response teams assigned to each american base, they have assault craft,designed and built specificly for incursions such as these ,45mins away ,unknown situation ,theres one of two senarios,organised military attack on american consulate,which is act of war, response warranted,or two, terrorist attack on american consulate,response warranted, do you think for one moment that there is one member of the u.s military that would have hesitated to go into harms way to at least (attempt )to save these fellow americans,small arms rpgs and antiquated antiaircraft weapons,are not much of a deterent,these excuses put forth are lame to say the least.

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
packerbacker:

All I'll offer is if you know more about that situation and what should have been done than the Secretary of Defense, you're in the wrong job.

Reminds me of the great George Burns line - "Too bad everyone who knows how to run our country is driving a taxi and cutting hair."

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
loco oro:

The issue is not were there people willing to try. Of course there were. The 18th Infantry was willing to follow Lieut. Fettermen. But that one didn't turn out so good.

The questions are (1.) Were more assets available? Those who were, went; (2.) Would it have made sense to fly an aircraft over the fire fight in the dark? I'll go with the Sec. on that one.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates forcefully defended the Obama administration on Sunday against charges that it did not do enough to prevent the tragedy in Benghazi, telling CBS' "Face the Nation" that some critics of the administration have a "cartoonish impression of military capabilities and military forces."

Gates, a Republican who was appointed by then-President George W. Bush in 2006 and agreed to stay through more than two years of President Obama's first term, repeatedly declined to criticize the policymakers who devised a response to the September 2012 attack on a U.S. diplomatic facility in Benghazi, Libya, that left four Americans dead, including the U.S. Ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens.

"Frankly, had I been in the job at the time, I think my decisions would have been just as theirs were," said Gates, now the chancellor of the College of William and Mary.

"We don't have a ready force standing by in the Middle East, and so getting somebody there in a timely way would have been very difficult, if not impossible." he explained.

Suggestions that we could have flown a fighter jet over the attackers to "scare them with the noise or something," Gates said, ignored the "number of surface to air missiles that have disappeared from [former Libyan leader] Qaddafi's arsenals."

"I would not have approved sending an aircraft, a single aircraft, over Benghazi under those circumstances," he said.

Another suggestion posed by some critics of the administration, to, as Gates said, "send some small number of special forces or other troops in without knowing what the environment is, without knowing what the threat is, without having any intelligence in terms of what is actually going on on the ground, would have been very dangerous."

"It's sort of a cartoonish impression of military capabilities and military forces," he said. "The one thing that our forces are noted for is planning and preparation before we send people in harm's way, and there just wasn't time to do that."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3460_16...-have-cartoonish-view-of-military-capability/

Last edited:

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i really hope you understand these excuses put forth from sec def ,hill, o, are all after the fact trying to explain away the fact they dropped the ball and lives were lost ,its natural to try to cover their butt.i by no means know exactly what happened, but in the same hand nor does anyone else here, i would not ever defend such inaction then and even after the event the inaction continues.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker:

All I'll offer is if you know more about that situation and what should have been done than the Secretary of Defense, you're in the wrong job.

Reminds me of the great George Burns line - "Too bad everyone who knows how to run our country is driving a taxi and cutting hair."

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

I have to admit Buckey You maybe on to something. If the goof in office would have had a job like those he'd be a better leader. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
onfire:

While Mr. Obama spent a number of years working the private sector, the jobs you describe have nothing to do with Benghazi. President George Bush served in the Texas Air Guard and made a complete mess of Afghanistan and Iraq. Abraham Lincoln laughed about his own experience in the Black Hawk War (and he was very opposed to the Mexican War) and he did pretty well during our Civil War.

On the other hand, US Grant's success as a general didn't do him much good as President.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buck even you can't be this naive, to believe this statement. Just what do think these people do all day long (listen to some dude who's good at speeches?)

"It's sort of a cartoonish impression of military capabilities and military forces," he said. "The one thing that our forces are noted for is planning and preparation before we send people in harm's way, and there just wasn't time to do that."

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If the goof in office would have had a job like those he'd be a better leader. Thanks for the info.

Nah,he's so inept he would still screw something up.Only thing obozo is good at running is his mouth and he still needs a teleprompter to do even that.

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
loco oro:

Like others here you use your premise to prove your conclusion. There was no Benghazi coverup. Could things have been different? Sure. Ambassador Stevens could have accepted the additional security he was offered. It was a terrible thing to have happened - I'm sure many people wish things were done differently.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
onfire:

Working for a private entity.

It's common for people to claim Mr. Obama never had such a job. Just another lie. Just as people ignore the fact that he and his team built from scratch a national, multi-multi-million dollar organization with thousands of employees and tens of thousands of volunteers (much harder to manage then folks getting paid in dollars) that beat the established candidate almost everyone knew would win.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread