Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the same spot as yesterday trying to find the other half of the Victorian sash buckle. No sash, but not bad for a 60 minute hunt.

*More harmonica reeds. I think that makes 11 now. ;D
*1800's padlock
*1877 dated silver plated spoon. (Wish it was an 1877 IH) :laughing7:
*Round ball
*Button
*Clock pieces, etc.

Any idea on the "?????" item? :dontknow:

Still looking.
Thanks,
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-283S.JPG
    MVC-283S.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 797
  • MVC-278S.JPG
    MVC-278S.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 784
  • MVC-279S.JPG
    MVC-279S.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 787
  • MVC-280S.JPG
    MVC-280S.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 788
  • MVC-281S.JPG
    MVC-281S.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 786
  • MVC-282S.JPG
    MVC-282S.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 787
  • MVC-284S.JPG
    MVC-284S.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 787
Upvote 0

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ModernMiner said:
VOL1266-X said:
More nice finds High Roller!!! That pistol ball is well within the parameters of a .44 Colt pistol bullet. WTG, Q.

Thanks Q.
I'll trade you for that Indiana volunteer pin. :thumbsup: :laughing9:
-Dug-
No thanks as I found one just like it yesterday and have hundreds anyway-LOL. It's an Indfiana VETERAN"S Pin. Q.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
I have been digging harmonica reeds like crazy at this new spot. Must have been a Bob Dylan training course in those woods. :dontknow: :tongue3:
-Doug-
8) 8) cool digs Dug :laughing7: Bob Dylan or maybe , Blind Al Wilson , from the band Canned Heat :D

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oxidation on lead is is like a onion, who said that? When air hits lead it forms lead oxide. Add moisture lead carbonate, PbCO32 PbOH2 the bad stuff about 10% of the oxidization. Next you have your insolable lead salts, sulphites and sulphate. These form on the outside of the carbonate formation minimizing its growth. I have been handling oxidized lead since 1972 without gloves but use a respirator when removing it off the surfaces of lead. I have a clean bill of health except for the problems I'm experiencing with my third eye.
Ron P said:
Greeting Doug, Great finds. How long is the handle on the knife? I thought it may have been a foreign bayonet because of what looked like a latch at the end but probably not. Be careful handling the white patina on lead bullet, it is toxic (White lead is the chemical compound (PbCO3)2·Pb(OH)2).
Have a good trip, We're heading back to our spot this weekend. :hello2:
Arty

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Picture this with the wood rotted away & the knife blade or fork part rusted off as well... This type of silverware is often associated with being Civil War vintage as well. The decorative part of the handle was often pewter while the blade or fork tines were steel. What you found is exactly what I would expect to remain after 100+ years in the ground. Looking at what remains of the "business end" of yours it looks fairly narrow so I believe you have what's left of a fork or a spoon. To be fair though if there's a huge cash reward for the correct ID PinFire got it first. I just posted a pic to back up the idea. I have a fork at home of the same vintage that has "US" stamped into the wooden handle. Have never been able to find anything to positively verify that it's military issue or when it was made though. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqYOKm8E1SmcW-,wBN,wVNTdow~~_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqYOKm8E1SmcW-,wBN,wVNTdow~~_3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 429

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
artyfacts said:
Oxidation on lead is is like a onion, who said that? When air hits lead it forms lead oxide. Add moisture lead carbonate, PbCO32 PbOH2 the bad stuff about 10% of the oxidization. Next you have your insolable lead salts, sulphites and sulphate. These form on the outside of the carbonate formation minimizing its growth. I have been handling oxidized lead since 1972 without gloves but use a respirator when removing it off the surfaces of lead. I have a clean bill of health except for the problems I'm experiencing with my third eye.Arty

Oh dear! :tard: HAHAHAHA!!!!

I'm with Mini...like that lock! That's a good bunch 'o relics, MM! :icon_pirat:

N~

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PinFire said:
Cool relics! That piece looks like the cast pewter bolster for a knife, spoon, or fork. That raised piece would have been a decoration on the outside of the wood handle.

Yep :thumbsup:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A noble effort! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neat stuff I have a site that has so far only turned up reeds. :dontknow:
Blue ridge harmonica fest! Figure as much as they liked them they wouldnt loose so many? Or maybe they were just made to fall apart so they would have to keep buying them! LOL

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Nice bunch of finds. You are a harmonica reed finding machine.
Dman

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CMDiamonddawg said:
ModernMiner said:
I have been digging harmonica reeds like crazy at this new spot. Must have been a Bob Dylan training course in those woods. :dontknow: :tongue3:
-Doug-
8) 8) cool digs Dug :laughing7: Bob Dylan or maybe , Blind Al Wilson , from the band Canned Heat :D

Dawg,
You may be on to something. :icon_scratch: :laughing9:
Thanks,
Dug

artyfacts said:
Oxidation on lead is is like a onion, who said that? When air hits lead it forms lead oxide. Add moisture lead carbonate, PbCO32 PbOH2 the bad stuff about 10% of the oxidization. Next you have your insolable lead salts, sulphites and sulphate. These form on the outside of the carbonate formation minimizing its growth. I have been handling oxidized lead since 1972 without gloves but use a respirator when removing it off the surfaces of lead. I have a clean bill of health except for the problems I'm experiencing with my third eye.
Ron P said:
Greeting Doug, Great finds. How long is the handle on the knife? I thought it may have been a foreign bayonet because of what looked like a latch at the end but probably not. Be careful handling the white patina on lead bullet, it is toxic (White lead is the chemical compound (PbCO3)2·Pb(OH)2).
Have a good trip, We're heading back to our spot this weekend. :hello2:
Arty

Thanks for that info Arty. You must have a heck of a time finding glasses that fit. :tongue3: :laughing9:
-MM-

NHBandit said:
Picture this with the wood rotted away & the knife blade or fork part rusted off as well... This type of silverware is often associated with being Civil War vintage as well. The decorative part of the handle was often pewter while the blade or fork tines were steel. What you found is exactly what I would expect to remain after 100+ years in the ground. Looking at what remains of the "business end" of yours it looks fairly narrow so I believe you have what's left of a fork or a spoon. To be fair though if there's a huge cash reward for the correct ID PinFire got it first. I just posted a pic to back up the idea. I have a fork at home of the same vintage that has "US" stamped into the wooden handle. Have never been able to find anything to positively verify that it's military issue or when it was made though. Hope this helps.

Bandit,
Thank you for the picture and great info. An eating utensil it is. You and PinFire nailed it. No cash reward this time, but you guys can have the relic. ;D :icon_thumleft:
Thanks,
MM

Nana40 said:
artyfacts said:
Oxidation on lead is is like a onion, who said that? When air hits lead it forms lead oxide. Add moisture lead carbonate, PbCO32 PbOH2 the bad stuff about 10% of the oxidization. Next you have your insolable lead salts, sulphites and sulphate. These form on the outside of the carbonate formation minimizing its growth. I have been handling oxidized lead since 1972 without gloves but use a respirator when removing it off the surfaces of lead. I have a clean bill of health except for the problems I'm experiencing with my third eye.Arty

Oh dear! :tard: HAHAHAHA!!!!

I'm with Mini...like that lock! That's a good bunch 'o relics, MM! :icon_pirat:

N~

Thanks Nana.
I dug a better lock today from the same era. I'll post it when I return from Vegas. :thumbsup:
-Dug-

SkyPirate said:
You find the coolest stuff!

Thanks Joe.
Big variety at this new spot. Still would be nice to find a few old coins. Only an 1897 IH so far.
-Doug-

{Sentinel} said:
A noble effort! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Thank you kind Sir. I mean Joshmeister. ;D
-Dug-

jamesbibb said:
Neat stuff I have a site that has so far only turned up reeds. :dontknow:
Blue ridge harmonica fest! Figure as much as they liked them they wouldnt loose so many? Or maybe they were just made to fall apart so they would have to keep buying them! LOL

Thanks James. Wasn't there a song that went something like, "the hills are alive with the sound of music". :icon_scratch:
Maybe they wrote it at this place. :tongue3:
-Doug-

Dman said:
Nice bunch of finds. You are a harmonica reed finding machine.
Dman

Thanks D.
I keep my machine finely tuned buddy. :tongue3:
-Dug-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions