LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm a natural born skeptic.
For whatever reason, that whole story had me strongly sensing some kind of shenanigans. The whole story, where a hard-luck diver sold him a map and a piece of ancient pottery that lead to a bunch of heat-treated emeralds... I have no idea. It's just so weird.

Granted, the tidal zones in question are different, but why is it that the early divers on the Cabin Wreck would face wildly different overburden conditions on a day by day basis- the ocean floor exposing or covering treasure with FEET of sand, depending on its moods- but this story maintains that there's a 'blanket of emeralds' right on top (as the video showed), having ostensibly sat there undisturbed for untold numbers of years, decades or even centuries (as claimed) in a tightly concentrated area? Fisher was dredging serious muck over large areas to pick out a few at a time, this guy claims his lode just sat there on top of the sand?

Take some cans of spraypaint. Spray a few burlap sacks worth of pea gravel bright green.
Travel 40 miles out, get into 60' deep and dump those sacks of pea gravel over the side. Maybe sink a sealed bag for good measure. Wait 10 years- 10 years worth of tides, 10 years worth of noreasters, 10 years worth of tropical storms, hurricanes- go back to that spot, jump in.

What are the chances that ten years later, your pea gravel will 'blanket the ocean floor' of that same spot?
How about fifteen years?
Twenty?
A hundred?
Anyone want to bet on that?

It just doesn't make any sense.
The strangest part of this story, though, is that unlike your typical TH fantasist-liar who has a 'great story' of success, right up to the point if being able to prove his claim (usually the result of some tragic, unforeseen circumstance that snatched victory from his grasp- "...my Ouija board told me where the treasure was and it was there, but when I went back, it was gone!!"), this dude has it the other way around.

His story sucks, but he actually has the damn treasure!

Last edited:

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
“60 MINUTES” SUNDAY, APRIL 22, 2012
CBS Press Express |

THE TROUBLE WITH TREASURE -- Jay Miscovich says he found a cache of emeralds on the bottom of the ocean off of Florida, but it may be years before he can profit from the treasure. Armen Keteyian reports. Andrew Metz, Len Tepper and Oriana Zill de Granados are the producers.

REDDRAGON, Let me preface my questions with this comment. I have to agree with LM.

Really interesting 60 minutes episode or should I say bewildering?

#1. The small amount of emeralds that were mentioned that were treated with a compound that was less then 50 years old. By any chance was that compound only on the biggest emeralds that were shone to people to try and get them to invest? I understand that compound enhances the color of the stones and is usually put on emeralds by jewelers.

#2. If all of these emeralds were just lying on top of the sand, why in the world would the diver that dove the site and sold you the map for $50. Not find any emeralds?

#3. Please explain to me how you and Steve went through $10,000,000 salvaging those stones??? I'm with you Salvor 6. Fuel is expensive, but not that expensive.

Inquiring minds would like to know. At least this one would.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Oh, and another thing that I call BS on. It has nothing to do with the treasure, but rather his dive partner's accommodations. There is no way that the kid's bunk bed supports his corpulent arse. :laughing7:

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
What a Joke!

This Jay guy was a Fisher investor at one time... Learned all he needed to know about Shipwreck Emeralds........

I can imagine this jay purchasing thousands of Emeralds from South America, Dumping them into the Ocean and trying to Claim there Shipwreck.

One of their group members was scoping the 1715 fleet in 2010, I think to try and find a place for them to be found......

Shipwreck Emeralds would bring a higher price......

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
What a Joke!

This Jay guy was a Fisher investor at one time... Learned all he needed to know about Shipwreck Emeralds........

I can imagine this jay purchasing thousands of Emeralds from South America, Dumping them into the Ocean and trying to Claim there Shipwreck.

One of their group members was scoping the 1715 fleet in 2010, I think to try and find a place for them to be found......

TEN MILLION DOLLARS...... ! Even the apparent number of "lavish lunches Dr. Jay must have been eating doesn't explain away this outlandish
figure!!!! Maybe it is the Dr. Jay's experienced professionals he is surrounding himself with that are eating up this purported "expenses to date"!

GOHO, You are on the money here...... Dr. Jay went to school down in Key West and just may be attempting to emulate his teachers.......

It does never cease to amaze me how folks will put up money is these Walter Mitty type
projects and yet there are those of us - with the real thing -

{That being folks, "a genuine shipwreck" that have
to struggle to find funding and fight off crooked
government officials with their own sorted
agendas to keep our projects
alive.....

The rats..... truly are..... guarding the cheese!:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Last edited:

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What a Joke!

As I get deeper into this, the more I talk to people who 'know what they're talking about', this sort of thing has always gone on with semi-regularity.

Excluding the fully documented cases involving well respected parties where otherwise mundane artifacts were 'juiced up' by falsely attributing shipwreck provenance (or were outright forgeries), this sort of thing should be expected, solely on the basis of human nature and the amounts of money involved.

When a $1500 replica of a colonial ring will sell for $500,000 at a Sothebys Auction if a lease holder is willing to affirm it came up in a suction dredge, is there any doubt it's going to happen? We're talking BIG amounts of money here.

None of this even considers the greatest 'reward' for some- the attention and renown that comes with discovering significant treasure. For people of a certain personality type, that's even more important than the financial gain.

Once you get past the narrative and start examining the facts, this whole Emerald case doesn't pass the smell test on about a dozen levels.

cpt scuba

Jul 17, 2006
ok ... why dont the emeralds have any growth on them .. they are sitting right on top of a muddy bottom .... 10 million dollars of investor money ... no salvage boat ..no suction dredge .... most of the emeralds looked pale green light color ...no wreck .... bought a map from a mystery diver for 500 ... but the emeralds are found a mile and a half away .. but he still pays the diver 50 k .. smugllers toss emeralds overboard ... why ...as far as i know its not a crime to bring in emeralds .. trying to pass off stones you bought and tossed in the ocean to claim some shipwreck providence surely is ... if it all a scam the guy could have done a lot better job .. esp with 10 million to spend ...

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did I hear the segment correctly, he bought a treasure map from a down and out diver friend that included coordinates to a potential treasure site, went to that spot, didn't find anything special, then went aimlessly 1.5miles away and "got a hit on the metal detector, and dove in to investigate". The "hit" was seven beer cans sitting on thousands of emeralds? What kind of metal detector was he using, they didnt mention a magnetometer. And why didnt the diver friend want a piece of the action, would potentially be worth way more than $50,000. Hard to swallow this stuff.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cute story but noting adds up......

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When someone finds a large amount of emeralds like that the first time out with no excavation,theres no need for investors.Something is fishy here.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Cute story but noting adds up......

Fisheye, According to the 60 minutes episode some type of modern substance was found on some of the emeralds. Came across the below information that jewelers use these substances to enhance the appearance of emeralds. Does anyone know if any of these substances were on some of those emeralds that were analyzed ?
Just Curious.

According to the complaint, "Blue Nile uses oil filling (including filling by oil, wax, resin or other colorless substances) to enhance the appearance of the emeralds (including those in jewelry) it sells via the Web site at BlueNile.com," a claim the company says is backed up by the fact that the Gemological Institute of America has determined that Blue Nile emeralds contain "[m]oderate clarity enhancement."

Oil filling is a treatment that decreases the value of gemstones, fades over time and requires special care--information that Blue Nile did not disclose to consumers on its Web site, the lawsuit states.:dontknow:

Teredo Navalis

Oct 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this quote on another site. Does this insult anyone?

Kelel, You asked WTF? They were not mentioned in the piece. And so what if Scott Heimdal assisted. It says he did, not the company. And I am sure that 5% is in
stock
. Which is worthless. Plus "Miscovich is almost $10 million in debt to investors and attorneys, has other underwater explorers accusing him of running a scam." (from another post). I ask again, what do you expect?

I have been here and holding stock for 4+ years and have learned to not get your hopes up with this company.

Kelel,
I have to call you on the use of the term "under water explorers". Can you name me one legitimate "underwater explorer" who has stated that? Under water explorers of today are Underwater Marine Archeologists. You have some (most) hacks and criminal on this site and Treasurenet that are nothing more than common disgruntled thieves. One of the main posters on both sites has spent 7 years in a Federal Pen for corruption associated with a treasure hunting scam. Most people on treasure net are weekend schleps that take out metal detectors.
If you read my posts the last 2 years, i have been looking for someone to find out the truth. Are you even insinuating that a year of freakin 60 Minutes investigating a story isn't the closest thing WE have to the truth????

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Hey, I see that we have one of the 60 minute celebrities posting. He is one of the 2 Heavy set Rotund divers in the small boat. How many different names have you posted under Teredo ? About 3 or 4 isn't it ?? So tell us ? Did you or Jay put that Jewelers substance on some of the emeralds or were they found like that ?:dontknow: I have another question. Wouldn't it be considered FRAUD If the finders of the emeralds tried to enhance the stones with a modern substance and then not inform the Court of what they did. Thus trying to make the Court and the Plaintiff's think that the emeralds came from a modern wreck and not a Spanish Treasure Wreck. I wonder about that. ( Not that I am accusing them of that, but ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

REDDRAGON

Greenie
Jan 13, 2012
Orlando
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on another site ALSO!
Kelel,
I have to call you on the use of the term "under water explorers". Can you name me one legitimate "underwater explorer" who has stated that? Under water explorers of today are Underwater Marine Archeologists. You have some (most) hacks and criminal on this site and xxxxxxx that are nothing more than common disgruntled thieves. One of the main posters on both sites has spent 7 years in a Federal Pen for corruption associated with a treasure hunting scam. Most people on xxxxxxxx are weekend schleps that take out metal detectors.
Are you even insinuating that a year of freakin 60 Minutes investigating a story isn't the closest thing WE have to the truth????

SOMEONE SOUNDS LIKE A JAILHOUSE ATTORNEY WITH EXPERIENCE...

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

REDDRAGON

Greenie
Jan 13, 2012
Orlando
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this guy using google. Searched his name and add Treasure Hunting in the search engine. What comes up are news articles from coast to coast about this. It's no wonder so many companies are demanding criminal background checks or should...

OP
OP
R

REDDRAGON

Greenie
Jan 13, 2012
Orlando
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, Back to the REAL STORY.

Not a muddy bottom but SAND, slow current, limited vis(murky bottom) but good enough for cameras. STATED 60 ft depth. David Horan dove it and found them. Duncan Mattheson was there (helping)on the boat watching on video. Gemologists where exited over what has been found.

Looks to me they have the right people HELPING them!

Last edited:

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Reddragon, or should I say Dr. Jay. Don't get your dander up because people are asking questions. Not that you have answered any of them. I for one would like to know how the oil got on a few of the emeralds that were analyzed by the 3 labs. Any idea how it got there ? Did you put it on them? Just asking, not accusing you of doing that.
:dontknow:

OP
OP
R

REDDRAGON

Greenie
Jan 13, 2012
Orlando
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES POSTING INFORMATION IN THEIR DEFENSE? I don't even know where they are! Do you really think they would waist their time chatting with you?
Have fun at the cookout. I hope everyone asks about your past! How long you been out now 6yrs?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread