mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I ventured out after work and headed to one of my newer permissions (80 acres vacant land overlooking Sturgeon Bay of Lake Michigan). I have found a lot of fur trade items in this area along with a handful of War of 1812 finds... military buttons mostly. I decided to search the bottom of the bluff and within minutes located a loud mid-range signal under the roots of a leaning tree (pulling it up from the ground with it roots). I realized in the first few minutes that it was big and round. It took close to 2 hours to get this damn thing out from the trees grip... another 30 minutes to lug this thing to my SUV.

I posted an hour or so ago in the 'What is it' section but since then a local friend swung by and confirmed what I was hoping. This is a 65 lb, 7.88" diameter cannonball...not sure I can ever top this. IMG_20170926_220128.jpg IMG_20170926_215504.jpg

Upvote 46

CHIPEOD

Nov 27, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
CEIA CMD
Vallon gizmo VMC-1
Deep ordnance locator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was a triple amputee and died hours later, the back story on the 704 cannon balls... they were found at a construction site down town Pittsburg pa, it was a factory that had detonated and killed every one, after that the 704 Cannon balls that survived were buried in a attempt to hide them from the confederates as they pushed north ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506591217.149620.jpg most where deemed to hazardous to retain ( fuze conditions unstable)

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the picture above. I ran into a few EOD guys overseas, those guys are a little nuts, but ya got to love em, they have guts I don't have,

sturrat

Mar 30, 2012
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the water levels were low on the west side of the great state of Michigan I found (3) civil war mortars at the bottom of Muskegon lake. I figured they were used as ship ballast. I too had to lug this 8" 50 lb hunk of metal up a tall hill. 544374_10200158931468916_386791865_n.jpg

OP
OP
M

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the picture above. I ran into a few EOD guys overseas, those guys are a little nuts, but ya got to love em, they have guts I don't have,
. Yep - I am a 'Mechanized Infantry' guy and have always found those EOD guys some of the craziest to hang with!

CHIPEOD

Nov 27, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
CEIA CMD
Vallon gizmo VMC-1
Deep ordnance locator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. Yep - I am a 'Mechanized Infantry' guy and have always found those EOD guys some of the craziest to hang with!

We Try lol ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506617952.496565.jpg

CHIPEOD

Nov 27, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150
CEIA CMD
Vallon gizmo VMC-1
Deep ordnance locator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the biggest we have found... X-Rayed it and assessed no explosive hazards and turned it into the West Point museum ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506618082.688590.jpg

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was a triple amputee and died hours later, the back story on the 704 cannon balls... they were found at a construction site down town Pittsburg pa, it was a factory that had detonated and killed every one, after that the 704 Cannon balls that survived were buried in a attempt to hide them from the confederates as they pushed north View attachment 1498847 most where deemed to hazardous to retain ( fuze conditions unstable)

First Sorry about my sarcasm.

Sux to hear the guy passed , was it a training accident ? look like it was at a 'range' of sorts with that reinforced concrete table? Also looks like it took a-lot of the blast but the rest went to the Man ..Wow., i'm surprised he survived at all.
Again sorry for my disrespect.

I recall them Finding all those Cannon Balls in Pitt, It was in the last year or so I think .

I wonder how they were 'Fused', It would have been a pain & take time to Dis-arm all them balls (tho the "shape Charge" sounds efficient but still?

Well also it makes the ones in the World a bit rarer.
I admire EOD guys , talk about living on the Edge, I recall the only episode of ' Grey's Anatomy' I ever watched .

A guy had a HE Shell stuck in him 'Somehow' & the team or Guy that came to dis-arm the thing refereed to 'Red Mist '.

That the Guy & the Patient turned into at the end of the episode.

mk4125 ...
Sorry for misdirecting your Post.
I get a little Curious & like to many details.
Davers :coffee2:

OP
OP
M

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zero worries from me. I don't have the stones to do the work of an EOD guy..my hands would shake too much from fear.
First Sorry about my sarcasm.

Sux to hear the guy passed , was it a training accident ? look like it was at a 'range' of sorts with that reinforced concrete table? Also looks like it took a-lot of the blast but the rest went to the Man ..Wow., i'm surprised he survived at all.
Again sorry for my disrespect.

I recall them Finding all those Cannon Balls in Pitt, It was in the last year or so I think .

I wonder how they were 'Fused', It would have been a pain & take time to Dis-arm all them balls (tho the "shape Charge" sounds efficient but still?

Well also it makes the ones in the World a bit rarer.
I admire EOD guys , talk about living on the Edge, I recall the only episode of ' Grey's Anatomy' I ever watched .

A guy had a HE Shell stuck in him 'Somehow' & the team or Guy that came to dis-arm the thing refereed to 'Red Mist '.

That the Guy & the Patient turned into at the end of the episode.

mk4125 ...
Sorry for misdirecting your Post.
I get a little Curious & like to many details.
Davers :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread