mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I ventured out after work and headed to one of my newer permissions (80 acres vacant land overlooking Sturgeon Bay of Lake Michigan). I have found a lot of fur trade items in this area along with a handful of War of 1812 finds... military buttons mostly. I decided to search the bottom of the bluff and within minutes located a loud mid-range signal under the roots of a leaning tree (pulling it up from the ground with it roots). I realized in the first few minutes that it was big and round. It took close to 2 hours to get this damn thing out from the trees grip... another 30 minutes to lug this thing to my SUV.

I posted an hour or so ago in the 'What is it' section but since then a local friend swung by and confirmed what I was hoping. This is a 65 lb, 7.88" diameter cannonball...not sure I can ever top this. IMG_20170926_220128.jpgIMG_20170926_215504.jpg

Upvote 46
He was a triple amputee and died hours later, the back story on the 704 cannon balls... they were found at a construction site down town Pittsburg pa, it was a factory that had detonated and killed every one, after that the 704 Cannon balls that survived were buried in a attempt to hide them from the confederates as they pushed north ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506591217.149620.jpgmost where deemed to hazardous to retain ( fuze conditions unstable)

On the picture above. I ran into a few EOD guys overseas, those guys are a little nuts, but ya got to love em, they have guts I don't have,

When the water levels were low on the west side of the great state of Michigan I found (3) civil war mortars at the bottom of Muskegon lake. I figured they were used as ship ballast. I too had to lug this 8" 50 lb hunk of metal up a tall hill.544374_10200158931468916_386791865_n.jpg

On the picture above. I ran into a few EOD guys overseas, those guys are a little nuts, but ya got to love em, they have guts I don't have,
. Yep - I am a 'Mechanized Infantry' guy and have always found those EOD guys some of the craziest to hang with!

. Yep - I am a 'Mechanized Infantry' guy and have always found those EOD guys some of the craziest to hang with!

We Try lolImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506617952.496565.jpg

This is one of the biggest we have found... X-Rayed it and assessed no explosive hazards and turned it into the West Point museum ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506618082.688590.jpg

He was a triple amputee and died hours later, the back story on the 704 cannon balls... they were found at a construction site down town Pittsburg pa, it was a factory that had detonated and killed every one, after that the 704 Cannon balls that survived were buried in a attempt to hide them from the confederates as they pushed north View attachment 1498847most where deemed to hazardous to retain ( fuze conditions unstable)

First Sorry about my sarcasm.

Sux to hear the guy passed , was it a training accident ? look like it was at a 'range' of sorts with that reinforced concrete table? Also looks like it took a-lot of the blast but the rest went to the Man ..Wow., i'm surprised he survived at all.
Again sorry for my disrespect.

I recall them Finding all those Cannon Balls in Pitt, It was in the last year or so I think .

I wonder how they were 'Fused', It would have been a pain & take time to Dis-arm all them balls (tho the "shape Charge" sounds efficient but still?

Well also it makes the ones in the World a bit rarer.
I admire EOD guys , talk about living on the Edge, I recall the only episode of ' Grey's Anatomy' I ever watched .

A guy had a HE Shell stuck in him 'Somehow' & the team or Guy that came to dis-arm the thing refereed to 'Red Mist '.

That the Guy & the Patient turned into at the end of the episode.

mk4125 ...
Sorry for misdirecting your Post.
I get a little Curious & like to many details.
Davers :coffee2:

Zero worries from me. I don't have the stones to do the work of an EOD guy..my hands would shake too much from fear.
First Sorry about my sarcasm.

Sux to hear the guy passed , was it a training accident ? look like it was at a 'range' of sorts with that reinforced concrete table? Also looks like it took a-lot of the blast but the rest went to the Man ..Wow., i'm surprised he survived at all.
Again sorry for my disrespect.

I recall them Finding all those Cannon Balls in Pitt, It was in the last year or so I think .

I wonder how they were 'Fused', It would have been a pain & take time to Dis-arm all them balls (tho the "shape Charge" sounds efficient but still?

Well also it makes the ones in the World a bit rarer.
I admire EOD guys , talk about living on the Edge, I recall the only episode of ' Grey's Anatomy' I ever watched .

A guy had a HE Shell stuck in him 'Somehow' & the team or Guy that came to dis-arm the thing refereed to 'Red Mist '.

That the Guy & the Patient turned into at the end of the episode.

mk4125 ...
Sorry for misdirecting your Post.
I get a little Curious & like to many details.
Davers :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back