Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dragonsbreath said:
Very nice Shaun i have yet to find that style of brooch :hello2: :hello2:

I have got an annular brooch of same period but its extremely encrusted

and i know not how to get the crud off without damage

will post same in another post so not as to hijack this thread for suggestions.

Great find and long may your good fortune continue regards PaulB. :icon_thumright:
:hello:

Paul....post a picture of the Brooch, there are a few ways in which to clean it. There are a few people on here who will give there advice on the methods they use :icon_thumleft:

SS

dragonsbreath

Nov 26, 2004
Cwmbran,South Wales
Detector(s) used
explorer II plus Detech 15 x 12" Coil
Silver Searcher said:
dragonsbreath said:
Very nice Shaun i have yet to find that style of brooch :hello2: :hello2:

I have got an annular brooch of same period but its extremely encrusted

and i know not how to get the crud off without damage

will post same in another post so not as to hijack this thread for suggestions.

Great find and long may your good fortune continue regards PaulB. :icon_thumright:
:hello:

Paul....post a picture of the Brooch, there are a few ways in which to clean it. There are a few people on here who will give there advice on the methods they use :icon_thumleft:

SS

O.K. Will start another thread soon thanks PaulB.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Shaun, just a great brooch! Be carefull with cleaning it!

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
WOODY50 said:

Thanks Woody, I'm not going to clean it any more, but would like to seal it with something. I can see that powdery blue stuff on
it.

Any ideas?

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
Thanks Woody, I'm not going to clean it any more, but would like to seal it with something. I can see that powdery blue stuff on
it.
Any ideas?
I usually clean that sort of object with a lightly soapy water, dry it and then put it into a puddle (so that its covered in a low tin can) of melted microcrystalline wax, wait a few seconds, then take it out with some forceps, and put it into the hot air from a hair dryer until small bubbles appear (the wax is cooking on the object, and then the wax goes deeper into the object). Then I put it on a cloth to cool down. If I don't want it too shiny I pat the object with the cloth a bit.

I really don't myself use a hair dryer, it does not get hot enough. I had years ago bought in the second hand store at my work a 'hot dog'. That is a sort of hair dryer but it gets much hotter. I use it also to shrink sleeving around cables. It works just great.

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
WOODY50 said:
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
it.
Any ideas?
I usually clean that sort of object with a lightly soapy water, dry it and then put it into a puddle (so that its covered in a low tin can) of melted microcrystaline wax, wait a few seconds, then take it out with some forceps, and put it into the hot air from a hair dryer until small bubbles appear (the wax is cooking on the object, and then the wax goes deeper into the object). Then I put it on a cloth to cool down. If I don't want it too shiny I pat the object with the cloth a bit.

I really don't myself use a hair dryer, it does not get hot enough. I had years ago bought in the second hand store at my work a 'hot dog'. That is a sort of hair dryer but it gets much hotter. I use it also to shrink sleeving around cables. It works just great.

Is that Renaissance wax Woody?

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
Thanks Woody, I'm not going to clean it any more, but would like to seal it with something. I can see that powdery blue stuff on it. Any ideas?
I usually clean that sort of object with a lightly soapy water, dry it and then put it into a puddle (so that its covered in a low tin can) of melted microcrystaline wax, wait a few seconds, then take it out with some forceps, and put it into the hot air from a hair dryer until small bubbles appear (the wax is cooking on the object, and then the wax goes deeper into the object). Then I put it on a cloth to cool down. If I don't want it too shiny I pat the object with the cloth a bit.

No Shaun,Renaissance wax is a low melting point wax which microcrystalline wax (sorry spelled it wrong in the previous message) is a high melting point wax. Sometimes it is called Crystal-Wax. A text that I just happened to see is: "is then strengthened and protected from atmospheric corrosion by submersion in molten microcrystalline wax."

I have seen it for sale in Treasure Hunting or the Searcher Magazines. I guess if you look on the net you could find some one who would mail it to you.

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
WOODY50 said:
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
Thanks Woody, I'm not going to clean it any more, but would like to seal it with something. I can see that powdery blue stuff on it. Any ideas?

No Shaun,Renaissance wax is a low melting point wax which microcrystalline wax (sorry spelled it wrong in the previous message) is a high melting point wax. Sometimes it is called Crystal-Wax. A text that I just happened to see is: "is then strengthened and protected from atmospheric corrosion by submersion in molten microcrystalline wax."

I have seen it for sale in Treasure Hunting or the Searcher Magazines. I guess if you look on the net you could find some one who would mail it to you.

Thank's Woody, I'll have a look :thumbsup:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:

Thank's Woody, I'll have a look :thumbsup:

If this wax is used to protect objects in archeology .. ::)

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shaun, I think I was wrong about the difference between Renaissance Wax and Microcrystalline wax.
So to see here they are the same! Renaissance Micro Crystalline Wax 200 ml (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Renaissance-Micro-Crystalline-Wax-200/dp/B0015F2GEM). Or at least the Renaissance wax is A microcrystalline wax.

I get mine in bulk blocks, just looks like candle wax blocks, from about a 1/2 kilo or so. I see that Wax Trade Co., Ltd. sales it too. But anyway, its a good wax to seal objects with. You might have to recoad after several years, depending upon where the object is kept.

About Microcrystalline Wax (from the site of Poth Hille)

Microcrystalline wax is an oil derived product obtained from the dewaxing of lube oil in the refinery process. It is made up of saturated hydrocarbons possessing a fine-grained crystal structure which renders them more flexible than paraffin waxes which are brittle when fractured.

It is characterised by high molecular weight, viscosity, melt point and a more opaque appearance. There are numerous grades of microcrystalline wax and variations are due to differences of feed stock and method of refinement. Colours range from white through yellow to dark brown in appearance.

Microcrystalline wax has a diverse spectrum of applications which include cosmetic, food and beverage, candlemaking, paper and board coating, poultry defeathering, dental and pharmaceutical, fruit coating, ski, snowboard and surfboard coating, jewellery waxes, polishes and laminating.

Characteristically, micro waxes blend well with solvents to form a smooth paste, increase tensile strength and rigidity, improve stability and scuff resistance.

Poth Hille offers a full range of grades available in slab, pellets and prill format.

OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
WOODY50 said:
Shaun, I think I was wrong about the difference between Renaissance Wax and Microcrystalline wax.
So to see here they are the same! Renaissance Micro Crystalline Wax 200 ml (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Renaissance-Micro-Crystalline-Wax-200/dp/B0015F2GEM). Or at least the Renaissance wax is A microcrystalline wax.

I get mine in bulk blocks, just looks like candle wax blocks, from about a 1/2 kilo or so. I see that Wax Trade Co., Ltd. sales it too. But anyway, its a good wax to seal objects with. You might have to recoad after several years, depending upon where the object is kept.

About Microcrystalline Wax (from the site of Poth Hille)

Microcrystalline wax is an oil derived product obtained from the dewaxing of lube oil in the refinery process. It is made up of saturated hydrocarbons possessing a fine-grained crystal structure which renders them more flexible than paraffin waxes which are brittle when fractured.

It is characterised by high molecular weight, viscosity, melt point and a more opaque appearance. There are numerous grades of microcrystalline wax and variations are due to differences of feed stock and method of refinement. Colours range from white through yellow to dark brown in appearance.

Microcrystalline wax has a diverse spectrum of applications which include cosmetic, food and beverage, candlemaking, paper and board coating, poultry defeathering, dental and pharmaceutical, fruit coating, ski, snowboard and surfboard coating, jewellery waxes, polishes and laminating.

Characteristically, micro waxes blend well with solvents to form a smooth paste, increase tensile strength and rigidity, improve stability and scuff resistance.

Poth Hille offers a full range of grades available in slab, pellets and prill format.

Ok, thanks Woody! Cru gave me some of that, it's a bit dried up though :-\

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shaun, UPDATE about the MicroCrystalline Wax. I opened up my pot of Renaissance MC Wax Polish, and also read the lable. Renaissance MC Wax Polish is NOT Microcrystalline wax, it only contains it. The polish is soft, MC wax is hard.

One reason that it is soft is that the Renaissance Wax Polish contains terpentine, that evaporates of course, that is the reason that yous is dried up. You can use this polish for metals, but I would still recommend the Microcrystalline wax for sealing an object, the polish is just for that, to polish it up. I would image you could use the polish to shine up an object that was sealed in MC wax.... Hope that this explains it more...

Here is what it looks like...

Attachments

• microcrystalline wax.jpg
    microcrystalline wax.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 229
OP
OP
shaun7

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
WOODY50 said:
Shaun, UPDATE about the MicroCrystalline Wax. I opened up my pot of Renaissance MC Wax Polish, and also read the lable. Renaissance MC Wax Polish is NOT Microcrystalline wax, it only contains it. The polish is soft, MC wax is hard.

One reason that it is soft is that the Renaissance Wax Polish contains terpentine, that evaporates of course, that is the reason that yous is dried up. You can use this polish for metals, but I would still recommend the Microcrystalline wax for sealing an object, the polish is just for that, to polish it up. I would image you could use the polish to shine up an object that was sealed in MC wax.... Hope that this explains it more...

Cheers Woody, I'll have a look for that then :icon_thumleft:

I'll also see if I can liven up the wax I have with turps :thumbsup:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shaun7 said:
WOODY50 said:

Cheers Woody, I'll have a look for that then :icon_thumleft:

I'll also see if I can liven up the wax I have with turps :thumbsup:
Just use Brasso :laughing9:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions