Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Because a metal detector that requires 6 volts of direct current to operate at premium performance would immediately start to loose performance with only a 6 volt power supply.

To combat this, a higher voltage supply is used in line with a device called a voltage regulator. So if two 9 volt batteries where required to operate a machine that required only 6 volts to operate, a voltage regulator would be used to reduce the voltage to 6 volts.

For example:
Two 9 volt batteries could be wired to provide 9 volts of power when wired in parallel or 18 volts or power when wired in series. And a voltage regulator would cut the power down to the 6 volts. Most MD's are wired in series.

The power and frequencies that a metal detector may legally emit in the USA is regulated by the FCC (Federal Communication Commission). This is to provide protection against interrupting our Military, Air Communication, and our Airwaves as a whole.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
S. C. CATFISH said:
Ant said:
For example:
Two 9 volt batteries could be wired to provide 9 volts of power when wired in series or 18 volts or power when wired in parallel. And a voltage regulator would cut the power down to the 6 volts. Most MD's are wired in series.

WRONG!!! You have it backwards. Two nine volters in parallel would be 9 volts. Two nine volters in series would be 18 volts.
Your right catfish. I knew that, but my dyslexia disorder must have kicked in, hehehe. I'll edit that to correct it.

HH and thanks for catching that.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
so you're saying then that the regulator only lets 6v come from that 9v supply and it lasts longer?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread