Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Nice token! :thumbsup: I found a 7 cent variety for a Dance Hall last year. Yours is only the 2nd of that denomination I've seen. Quite collectible.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice Find

and Yes very collectable

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find Terry!!

HH, Ringfinder

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good find. I would be stoked on a find like that.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm going to have to do some asking around about this one. Reiter's Dairy Tokens book lists a 12¢ one from Bard Manufacturing Co. as being from Bryan, OH and he says "...Bard Mfg. Co., makers of gas- and oil-burning furnaces..." The token is not listed in Lipscomb's OH Merchant Tokens book. The Bard company website indicates they have been in business since 1914.

I'll contact the current OH token cataloguer and see what he says about both the 7¢ and 12¢ tokens. My initial impression is that these are similar in function to some tokens I know from a lead and zinc smelter. It was widely believed that drinking milk would keep workers from getting poisoned from the fumes they were exposed to, so it was written into their union contract that the company would provide a ration of milk to each worker. The way the company kept track of the ration was to give each worker so many tokens per week, and it would be up to the worker to redeem his tokens daily. Maybe Bard's milk was priced at 7¢ for a half-pint and 12¢ per pint. Dunno...

John in ID

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a heck of a find G4E! And awesome info on it, John! 8)

Congrats!!! Nana :)

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
idahotokens said:
I'm going to have to do some asking around about this one. Reiter's Dairy Tokens book lists a 12¢ one from Bard Manufacturing Co. as being from Bryan, OH and he says "...Bard Mfg. Co., makers of gas- and oil-burning furnaces..." The token is not listed in Lipscomb's OH Merchant Tokens book. The Bard company website indicates they have been in business since 1914.

I'll contact the current OH token cataloguer and see what he says about both the 7¢ and 12¢ tokens. My initial impression is that these are similar in function to some tokens I know from a lead and zinc smelter. It was widely believed that drinking milk would keep workers from getting poisoned from the fumes they were exposed to, so it was written into their union contract that the company would provide a ration of milk to each worker. The way the company kept track of the ration was to give each worker so many tokens per week, and it would be up to the worker to redeem his tokens daily. Maybe Bard's milk was priced at 7¢ for a half-pint and 12¢ per pint. Dunno...

John in ID
thank you very much for the info! Very interesting story!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alsome looking token I never seen a 7 cent token either. WTG....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread