Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had the weirdest hunt today.

Just drove to a random nearby forest close to my village for a 1 hour evening hunt before it got dark.
Not a lot of luck for the first 45 min, only shell fragments.

Then on a little elevation under a big tree a mixed signal.
I dug about 5cm down and found the remains of a decomposing piece of cloth wrapped around something.
Inside were several oval and round objects stacked and one cross. (total of 7 to be exact)

2 of them crumbled and fell to pieces right away but I could still tell they were some kind of pendant because of the noose where they hang from a necklace. They were made of lead. Another one was split in half also lead or alloy and really crusty oxidation.

3 + the cross were solid but also had lots of oxidation on them.

I took all pieces home and cleaned. The 3 that crumbled and broke were not really worth cleaning further they were just gone beyond repair.

Here are the 4 remaining pendants that are made of a copper alloy I believe and therefore withstood the time:

21121779_10213951866901262_2119997639_n.jpg
21150732_10213951866341248_2028280100_n.jpg
All are religious motifs with inscriptions like "Holy Francis pray for us..etc.."

The second one from the left is more intresting as it features a "Tatzenkreuz" - (a military symbol which goes way back to the order of teutonic knights but was most popular in the 2 world wars) on one side which makes me believe this find might be from around WW2 time.

The type of writing also confirms they cant be older than early 20th cnt.

I felt kind of eerie at that place. I wonder if someone might have commited suicide or if it were lucky talismans of a fallen soldier.

Will probably never know but -although not valuable or very rare- sure memorable experience to find so many at once in this manner.

Thanks for looking,
happy hunting.

Upvote 22

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a pretty wild for a random woods hunt.
Congrats

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a pet was buried there :dontknow:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird for sure. I found such a place in the woods years ago. Scary like hell. Never returned. Depends on your feelings you can still rebury them.

OP
OP
Benjamin52

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird for sure. I found such a place in the woods years ago. Scary like hell. Never returned. Depends on your feelings you can still rebury them.

Yea its kinda spooky I might throw that crap away just to not have it in the house hahah

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds! :occasion14:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice Find!!! I agree though that I would go back and rebury All of them. Finding one in a hole, maybe two. Ok...But 7? Something happened there. I would not want the Bad JuJu or a Possible Remnant of Something Evil. Just Me Though...

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Had the weirdest hunt today.

Just drove to a random nearby forest close to my village for a 1 hour evening hunt before it got dark.
Not a lot of luck for the first 45 min, only shell fragments.

Then on a little elevation under a big tree a mixed signal.
I dug about 5cm down and found the remains of a decomposing piece of cloth wrapped around something.
Inside were several oval and round objects stacked and one cross. (total of 7 to be exact)

2 of them crumbled and fell to pieces right away but I could still tell they were some kind of pendant because of the noose where they hang from a necklace. They were made of lead. Another one was split in half also lead or alloy and really crusty oxidation.

3 + the cross were solid but also had lots of oxidation on them.

I took all pieces home and cleaned. The 3 that crumbled and broke were not really worth cleaning further they were just gone beyond repair.

Here are the 4 remaining pendants that are made of a copper alloy I believe and therefore withstood the time:

View attachment 1486952
View attachment 1486953
All are religious motifs with inscriptions like "Holy Francis pray for us..etc.."

The second one from the left is more intresting as it features a "Tatzenkreuz" - (a military symbol which goes way back to the order of teutonic knights but was most popular in the 2 world wars) on one side which makes me believe this find might be from around WW2 time.

The type of writing also confirms they cant be older than early 20th cnt.

I felt kind of eerie at that place. I wonder if someone might have commited suicide or if it were lucky talismans of a fallen soldier.

Will probably never know but -although not valuable or very rare- sure memorable experience to find so many at once in this manner.

Thanks for looking,
happy hunting.

St Francis of Assisi is the Patron Saint of Animals. Sounds like it could be animal rituals, none of them were silver or gold so not using those things is another BAD CLUE! Just Sayin'. If you were to go buy one for your dog or cat say like a St Christopher for people it would be Silver or Pewter. Unless you wanted to have a custom Gold or Platinum Made.

OP
OP
Benjamin52

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
St Francis of Assisi is the Patron Saint of Animals. Sounds like it could be animal rituals, none of them were silver or gold so not using those things is another BAD CLUE! Just Sayin'. If you were to go buy one for your dog or cat say like a St Christopher for people it would be Silver or Pewter. Unless you wanted to have a custom Gold or Platinum Made.

Interesting. One is St. Antonius of padua, the other St. Franziska whoever that is , another says Joseph. The "military" one says Crux S.P. Benedicti..

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they were removed and buried during a time of persecution in order to hide any religious affiliations?

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I like thinking about the possible scenarios with the stuff I find too. Awesome finds! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread